Hello Guest May 23, 2024, 20:40:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken sound on Furie?  (Read 2355 times)

Jayshum

• Forum member
Broken sound on Furie?
« on: July 09, 2008, 23:04:37 »

Hey guys, just wanted to see if I'm the only one with this problem. When I'm sailing the Furie, I get a really loud sound whenever I move the rudder. At first I thought it was meant to the sound of the ropes moving the rudder-tiller, but it's so loud and lasts for a long time, even if the rudder is barely touched. Just wanted to find out that if it is me, what can I do to fix it? Thanks. :)

mvsmith

Re: Broken sound on Furie?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 00:38:20 »

It’s called “Realism”. The chain drive on Furie is loud.

When Opaboot was asked about that, he replied: “eh?”  :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 00:46:41 by mvsmith »

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:12:36 »

Are you positive mv? I've been fortunate enough to out for a few trips onboard a similar tug here in Liverpool called 'Kerne' (google, lots of info). Here's a video of her on youtube.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7yPt-Log88M

Now she's a lot smaller than Furie, but she has the same layout in terms of how the rudder is moved. When standing in the wheelhouse, this rope/chain sound only lasts for as long as the wheel is turned, and is nowhere near as loud as it is portrayed on shipsim.

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:42:04 »

They went to considerable trouble to put that sound in. If you don’t like it, you can turn engine sounds off. Under certain circumstances the rudder sound persists after the wheel stops turning—at least in the beta that I run, I don’t know about the final download. You can stop it by turning the wheel a slight amount.
If it becomes an issue with enough others, perhaps a new sound file will be made. I doubt it is that important.

MMMMMM

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 02:07:49 »

yes were shure havent you heard of a rudder chain

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 04:15:12 »

Guys, no need for the hostility! Yes I have heard of a rudder chain, and I appreciate the trouble they went through!

Next time I have a question or problem, I'll be sure NOT to post it here.

NathanC

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:41:57 »

I have this problem too, whenever you move the wheel sometimes the noise keeps going until the wheel is moved again  ;)

Penguin

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:13:58 »

In case of slight or slow rudder movements - do you think the rudder chain actually sounds realistic? I'm sceptical. Maybe there is something to improve.
CPU: Core2duo E6400 (2 x 2,13 GHz)
Grafik: 8600GT/512 RAM
RAM: 2 GB DDR II SD-RAM
VISTA

paulusfiret

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 15:45:00 »

Hello Simmers;
These listed problems are still actual and I am just wondering if anything has been improved;
There is little to say about the sound of the chain; Think this is quite accurate; Yes there is a bug in the sound time period, but you can live with it; (turning the wheel a little).
But to me there is a much bigger issue; The beautyful triple expansion sound is getting pushed away by the blower sound. This might be right when standing at the lifeboat deck but it is quite bad that you can not lower this specific sound. We are sailing with a steamship to hear the caracteristic engine sound and not a blower.
What can be done?
k/rgds
Paul Firet-Singapore

Nathan|C

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 19:34:03 »

I don't think Jayshum was fully understood. Sometimes when the rudder is moved, the chain sound keeps on playing even after the wheel has stopped turning.

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 22:44:11 »

Hi Nathan,

This topic was nearly two years old before paulusfiret brought it back from the dead.

If you read the second reply from that other mvsmith, you will see that he probably understood, and even offered a suggestion.

Regards,
Marty
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,9002.msg103454.html#msg103454
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines