Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 00:31:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How many people would buy the ShipDriver controller for EUR 199? (Discussion)  (Read 11025 times)

Chris-S1

• Forum member

i no thair is a poll.

what do you guys think  abot it? http://www.raildriver.com/products/shipdriver.php

is it to much to pay 199?
will it make the game run slower
will it make the game harder to play
do u think thay will iver bring it out ?
or will it just be sooper

give ur thots :D

Topic title edited, DJM.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 13:14:16 by [RWP]DJM »

Minime

• Forum member

Is 199$?
I think I would buy that one, or I could figure how to make one myself

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Chris-S1

• Forum member

yes making own looks like a better plan :)

trains

• Forum member

Is 199$?
I think I would buy that one, or I could figure how to make one myself
yes making own looks like a better plan :)
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4503.0.html ;)

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam

I'm not all that impressed with it, judging from the photo's. (I think it's a mockup, but if it is that plasticcy for real, then it's not very sturdy)

Plus, it only has one rudder. So ocean star, bugsier, etc.. are hard to control with it.

I'm half way with my home built one, but too busy to finish it any time soon. But yeah, building something yourself would have my vote, obviously.

Regards,
Fred

pauljanaway1

• Forum member

yes it dose look very cheaply made looks like it would fall apart after a cuple of weeks and how would you controls some ships like the red jet and red egel
my collecton of ship sim pics
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/pauljanaway1/

CaptainMike1

• Forum member

i no thair is a poll.

what do you guys think  abot it? http://www.raildriver.com/products/shipdriver.php

is it to much to pay 199?
will it make the game run slower
will it make the game harder to play
do u think thay will iver bring it out ?
or will it just be sooper

give ur thots :D

Seems to be a long time in development as the web site says it will be suitable for SS06!!! No mention of SS08 or 09 ?

pauljanaway1

• Forum member

for £158 i wont be buying it not only dose it look cheap and placticy but it dose not have all the controls for ship sim 2008 ( thrusters or any of other types of ship controls)

Minime

• Forum member

Actually those speeders should only support one engine, because you can see that they are red and black, in real life they are a speeder and the other is the coupling, if they where for two engines the should both be black

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member

Hiya all :)

I said 'No' to the poll on that topic, too many bills unfortunately (they aren't getting any cheaper either ::)), I wouldn't pay that kind of price for a controller for one game anyway.  I know, I'm a skinflint ;)

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People. (http://www.rnib.org.uk)

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Shipaddict

• Forum member

I put yes, eventhough it is expensive, it could be fun.

Obviously, no good if it isn't compatible with SS08. :(

Traddles

• Global Moderator

I get plenty of enjoyment from the simulator using the mouse and keyboard. Everything works OK that way. I therefore voted "No" because I can think of better things to spend my hard earned pension on. ::)

Angus.

Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

MMMMMM

• Forum member

you got that right mad_fred how would you drive os an bugseir 2 i looks like it only has one azipod contrller and it looks rather Ugly it looks like raildriver but not as good looking

Chris-S1

• Forum member

well from what ppl are saying if thay do bring it out thn thair not going to making a hole lot of cash

llamalord

• Forum member

Personally I'm not watching the price I'm just watching the ETA. ;)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

(http://www.userbars.com)
www.llamalord

serkan

• Forum member

I didnt like screen of controller anyway i want to buy it but it be expensive with shipping for me. If can be more discount i can buy it
www.3dship.net (http://www.3dship.net)

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member

While I think it's good that a major company is interested in making a controller for a ShipSim game, I can't help wondering why all these superfluous controls/buttons? Things like that add costs during the designing and manufacturing process, not to mention the bulky packaging etc (it looks huge). It also looks like we'll never use all these extra switches/buttons

I think ShipDriver should be re-designed to make more simpler with the following parts:

- A steering Wheel (perhaps with interchangeable wheel of different styles?);
- A pair of 3-way switch lever for bow & stern thrusters (toggle-style switch);
- Throttle levers;
- A couple of spare buttons for other things (i.e. horn and anything else that can be 'hot-key').

I'm sure a complete re-design with the above items would help to bring down costs considerably.

Kev
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 19:36:03 by Kevinmcg_ships »
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member

While I think it's good that a major company is interested in making a controller for a ShipSim game, I can't help wondering why all these superfluous controls/buttons? Things like that add costs during the designing and manufacturing process, not to mention the bulky packaging etc (it looks huge). It also looks like we'll never use all these extra switches/buttons

I think ShipDriver should be re-designed to make more simpler with the following parts:

- A steering Wheel (perhaps with interchangeable wheel of different styles?);
- A pair of 3-way switch lever for bow & stern thrusters (toggle-style switch);
- Throttle levers;
- A couple of spare buttons for other things (i.e. horn and anything else that can be 'hot-key').

I'm sure a complete re-design with the above items would help to bring down costs considerably.

Kev

Oh and I would get rid of the sub-woofer too, in order to reduce costs. I'm sure it's a nice thought but most people have PC speakers anyway.

Kev
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Chris-S1

• Forum member

thats a good idea :P u could probaly get away with selling for around 50

POINT TO ADD EDIT POST INSTED OF MAKEING 2 ONE AFTER ANUTHER :D

Denis

• Global Moderator

I initially was interested in this project, but finally, to my mind, i'm afraid it won't be possible to have one controller able to correctly handle the various types of boats we have in ship sim.

For example, I don't believe joystick axes on our computers are able to work over 360°, like azimuth propelled ships need. I don't think this has to do with the game programming nore with the controllers, but simply with the way Windows handles joystick axes. The only solution to handle this correctly, to my mind, would be to developp a specific usb controller (not considered as a joystick) that ship sim would natively recognise. But maybe I'm wrong on this point.

So, it's not only a controller at 199 euros that would be useful for only one game, but i'm afraid it's controller that would be useful for only a few ships in one game. Agile Solution, PoR, for example. But it won't be able to handle correctly Bugsier2, Red Eagle, or Ocean Star ... It won't even be able to handle a sherpa, as the sherpa has one bow and one aft thruster, and this controller only seems to have one thruster control !

about the question 'will it be compatible with ship sim 2008', or about the fact mentionned by Minime that it would not be able to handle two motors because the levers are made with different colors : you don't have to worry about that, we're just talking about a big joystick, recognized by Windows, with different axis you can assign with the control menu of ship sim, regardless the version (2006 or 2008).

And about the fact (as Chris-S1 initially asked) that this controller could make the game run faster or slower, there's no way a controller might have an impact on the performances of the game.

Hope my english will be understandable :-)

Regards,

Denis

pauljanaway1

• Forum member

dont worry your english is better than some of my friends or should that be all of my friends

Chris-S1

• Forum member

your english was fine thanks for the input

saltydog

• Forum member

I don't think any current controller I know of could meet the needs required in ShipSim, because none of them have a steering method that goes endlessly clockwise or a-clockwise. They can only turn left and right, so you could never steer more than 180 degrees, be it steering wheel or joystick. This won't do for azipods or VSP's such as Red Eagle. And you would need two, of course..
Untill a product appears on the market that more or less resembles the controls in such vessels I guess we are left to our own ingenuity and handywork..
Besides, this controller looks rather "flimsy" to me.. ;)

llamalord

• Forum member

That's a good point about the azipods. :P

But let me tell you I own the "Train Driver" model and it weighs over 12lbs and it is anything but flimsy.

The first time I showed it to a friend he dropped it on my hard wood desk and it left a dent. :-\ ;D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

(http://www.userbars.com)
www.llamalord

Kona1988

• Forum member

Personlly i ouldnt buy it, because the wheel is so tiny.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines