Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 17:39:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam tugboat Furie engine sounds  (Read 2534 times)

rich84

• Forum member
Steam tugboat Furie engine sounds
« on: July 04, 2008, 22:30:43 »

Hi all, I hope i`m posting in the right place! This is only for people that also have the Furie. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that the Furie sounds like its powered by a big V8 diesel, rather than a triple expansion steam engine. Yet if you zoom in nice & close to the Furie you can also hear a steam engine, so it must be a diesel/steam hybrid!

And has anyone else noticed the lack of smoke from the funnel?

Apart from these minor problems, VSTEP have done a rather good job at recreating the Furie.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: Steam tugboat Furie engine sounds
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 22:46:33 »

So in reality it should sound like the Titanic?

It had its side propellers powered by 2 15,000 hp triple expansion recipricating engines

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 23:06:50 »

So in reality it should sound like the Titanic?

It had its side propellers powered by 2 15,000 hp triple expansion recipricating engines
Furie Seams Titanic. Thats is funny. and yes. it should be more Smoke comming out from the funnel on Titanic And Furie ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:46:57 »

Furie was converted to oil fired in 1957.

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 01:49:52 »

Furie was converted to oil fired in 1957.
yeah. i did read it for couple of minutes ago.it should be coal steamer. that would be cool

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:55:39 »

but still she should sound like a steamer not a moter boat

rich84

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 11:44:28 »

I`ve tried looking all over the net for more info on the Furie but the only info I can find is that she was built in 1916 & she was used in a TV series called "Dutch Glory" & shes now moored in Maasluis in the Netherlands. Im only assuming that she has a triple expansion steam engine, because if you look into the engine room, you can see three different sized cylinders. And regarding the diesel engine noise, is the generator steam or diesel powered? Because if it`s diesel powered then that`s why I can hear a diesel engine running.

Ta
Rich

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 12:00:57 »

Hello All
I did a tour next week with the Furie and I can say the sound of the engine is correct the same that I hear a/b of the Furie, and there is no smoke, only when you use the horn there is a little bit white steam.
regards
JoMach

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 14:42:58 »

As has been said above, oil burning steamers only issue smoke if the burners are not carefully regulated. It used to be a point of pride on the old steamships to be able to maintain a lack of smoke for a whole watch of four hours. The only time really black smoke was emitted was when the engineers "Blew the tubes." That is when the boiler tubes were cleaned by blowing through.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 19:57:08 »

But surely there should be exhaust steam?  With steam locomotives you try to stay clear of the black stuff (even with coal fired ones) but the exhaust has to go somewhere, as does the steam which blows the whistle.
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 21:24:32 »

On a steam locomotive the exhaust steam goes up the stack to produce induced draft on the firebox.
On a steamship the exhaust steam is condensed to conserve water—there are very few water towers on the sea.
Marty

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 21:27:02 »

yes on a ship steam would only be blown off when the whistel is blown or the presser in the boilers reaches the limit
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines