Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 00:35:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use the two "knob" controls for Cruise Liner and Bugsier [MERGED]  (Read 3484 times)

jura

• Forum member

Someone please help.
Please explain very simply to me how to use the two bridge controls on Ocean Star and Bugsier 2.
I just do not know how to work them for direction and speed.
thank you

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member

the ocean star is different to control in the way that to turn left you have to turn the controls right

Bottman

• Global Moderator

the ocean star is different to control in the way that to turn left you have to turn the controls right

...which belongs to the different prop arrangement, "B2" with forward located thrusters and "OS" with stern located thrusters. ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

pauljanaway1

• Forum member

when i first got nh i never know that the controls where different fot the ocen star so i did what i have allways done set it off to turning left and went away for a minet while i did somthing not knowing that left is right

Captain Best

• Forum member

when i first got nh i never know that the controls where different fot the ocen star so i did what i have allways done set it off to turning left and went away for a minet while i did somthing not knowing that left is right
and if you go to map there all shipsim files are.
C:\Programfiles\Vstep\ShipSim2008. and if you look inside there, it should be a New Horizons Manuel in PDF file

John Carter

i've given up on them, it's too wierd

i like using a steering wheel & i get all confussssssed

maybe they should put me somewhere safe where i can't do any damage

Captain i used to have a steering certificate Jack

MMMMMM

• Forum member

let me clear it up go left to go right and right to go left and foward  to go foward

pauljanaway1

• Forum member

yes on the ocean star as the pod are at the back turn the opiset way like on a canal boat

John Carter

the men in white coats came for me this morning

i'm very happy now in my new home

captain "i feel safe now" jack :P

jura

• Forum member
How to use the two "knob" controls for Cruise Liner and Bugsier
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:52:06 »

Can someone please explain how to use the two knob controls for the liner and Bugsier, thank you.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: How to use the two "knob" controls for Cruise Liner and Bugsier
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 10:01:21 »

When you hold the mouse cursor on it, you see 3 rings. The outer 2 rings are for the trottle (ahead and reverse) and the inner ring is the direction. The pods can turn 360 degrees. The best way to operate them is with the mouse or with a joystick (2 joysticks is even better, 1 for each unit).

On the Bugsier 2 the direction of the control is the direction that the bow is heading. At the Ocean Star it's the opposite way, the direction of the control is the direction that the stern is heading.
It's the crew that makes the difference

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 17:18:21 »

It is also easier to control the Ocean Star with your keyboard by going to Options > Controls and clicking on precision steering. This way when you use the arrow keys the throttles wont go back to the stop position after you let go of the key. To turn you don't use the arrow key that goes in that direction, you do the opposite. For example, to turn to port (left) use the right arrow key.

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 17:26:01 »

Has anyone noticed yet that we're repeating his another topic?

Now I have.  :doh: I wonder why he made another...

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 18:00:31 »

Some quick tips on Ocean Star:
She is ASD, with two azimuthing propellers in the stern.
The joystick controls are interesting, and allow more flexibility, but you don’t need to use them. Just note that the white arrows point in the direction of the shaft toward the screw. (That would be toward the stern of a fixed-screw ship.)
The unit pushes the stern in the opposite direction from the way the arrow points.

First, disable Precision Steering so that you can hold the Right-Hand Shift key to make incremental changes with the arrow keys, and also have rapid return-to-center by pressing one key.

Speed control:
Hold the Shift key while pressing the Up/Down keys to the desired RPM, then release the arrow key before releasing the Shift key. This controls both screws at the same time.
To stop both screws, just tap either U/D key. Ocean Star has a very long stopping distance, so it is usually necessary to go full astern.

Steering:
Hold the Shift key while tapping the L/R keys to rotate both units together.  Each tap is 18 degrees.
A quick tap on either L/R key will return both units to center.
Remember that the stern will be pushed in the opposite direction to the arrows, so the ship will turn in the same direction as the arrows.
To turn to port, use the right arrow key.
To turn to Starboard, use the Left arrow key.
Maximum ROT is at 90 degrees. You can go beyond that if you want to lose way at the same time.
This ship has a very high moment of inertia, so meeting her takes practice.
The ROT indication is your best friend; learn the maximum ROT to achieve in order to turn the ship a certain number of degrees. Set rudder amidships when you reach that ROT.
Use small rudder angles for small course corrections.

You can do fancy stuff by operating the drives separately with the joysticks, but that’s for another day.
See also :
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,9012.msg104399.html#msg104399
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 18:08:51 by mvsmith »

TerryRussell

Has anyone noticed yet that we're repeating his another topic?

And now they are one single topic.

Jura, please don't repeat previous threads.

Thanks.

TerryRussell

Yep, that's the point I was making....  :evil:

As you know, I am evil!

TerryRussell

Or helping some-one who is very forgetful.  :angel:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines