Hello Guest September 23, 2024, 09:21:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could you help?  (Read 2805 times)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Could you help?
« on: June 24, 2008, 15:58:54 »

Hi everyone,

I know this dosen't have anything to do with ship sim, but there are lots of computer experts on here and i am not one of them ;D and i've run into a problem and i don't know what to do, when i go to internet explorer and i want a new tab or i want to go to a different site on the same window (but with new tab), while i have the window up and try to open a new tab, it crashes internet explorer and dosen't respond, this only started recently and i didn't have this problem before, if you require a screen shot i will try and get one.

can anyone suggest anything to resolve the matter?

Jack.
p.s. thanks for your help. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 16:04:04 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Captain Best

• Forum member
Re: Could you help?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 16:06:56 »

Hi everyone,

I know this dosen't have anything to do with ship sim, but there are lots of computer experts on here and i am not one of them ;D and i've run into a problem and i don't know what to do, when i go to internet explorer and i want a new tab or i want to go to a different site on the same window (but with new tab), while i have the window up and try to open a new tab, it crashes internet explorer and dosen't respond, this only started recently and i didn't have this problem before, if you require a screen shot i will try and get one.

can anyone suggest anything to resolve the matter?

Jack.
p.s. thanks for your help. :)
If you press this button. If it not help. why not use Firefox. i think thats better
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 16:09:22 by captain best »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 16:43:08 »

If you press this button. If it not help. why not use Firefox. i think thats better

Hi Captain Best,

thanks for offering help, i think you may have missunderstand the problem though, its when i click the tab button (what you pointed to on the picture) when my internet crashes, what is firefox? and what does it do?

Thanks very much for the help :)
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

James89uk

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 16:55:06 »

Hi Jack,

I agree with "Captain Best" in recommending that you switch to using Firefox instead.  Firefox is an increasingly popular web browser, which is open-source and easy to use.  It is free of charge and much more reliable and more efficient than IE - version 3 was released only a week ago!

www.mozilla.com/firefox

• However if you insist on using Internet Explorer then try disabling all IE add-ons, restarting your computer and then try opening a new tab again.
  • You could also try resetting IE back to the default user settings (Tools => Internet Options => Advanced => Reset IE settings).
  • Finally you might also want to perform a virus and spyware scan to ensure you haven't caught any unwanted software.

Hope this helps!

James
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 16:56:47 by James89uk »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 17:15:03 »

Hi Jack,

I agree with "Captain Best" in recommending that you switch to using Firefox instead.  Firefox is an increasingly popular web browser, which is open-source and easy to use.  It is free of charge and much more reliable and more efficient than IE - version 3 was released only a week ago!

www.mozilla.com/firefox

• However if you insist on using Internet Explorer then try disabling all IE add-ons, restarting your computer and then try opening a new tab again.
  • You could also try resetting IE back to the default user settings (Tools => Internet Options => Advanced => Reset IE settings).
  • Finally you might also want to perform a virus and spyware scan to ensure you haven't caught any unwanted software.

Hope this helps!

James
then i need to update firefox

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 17:22:40 »

I did a topic a week ago about the release of Firefox 3
Here's the link, you can download it there..
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,8462.0.html

It is quite possible to have both IE and Firefox on your computer,( I do) just choose one as your "standard" browser.. Firefox3 is widely considered to be the better browser..(untill IE catches up ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 17:24:37 by saltydog »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 17:24:44 »

I did a topic a week ago about the release of Firefox 3
Here's the link, you can download it there..
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,8462.0.html

It is quite possible to have both IE and Firefox on your computer,( I do) just choose one as your "standard" browser.. Firefox3 is widely considered to be the better browser.. ;)
yes i have both internett browser. and Firefox are my standar internett. so i can Recommed to download Firefox ;)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 17:26:44 »

Yes, if you allready have Firefox, definately download the newest update (Firefox3)... ;)
Which version do you have now? (click help-about Mozilla Firefox to see version)
To download, here's the link
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/
and here's some info what has changed in the new update
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0rc3/releasenotes/#whatsnew

In a nutshell, I find it faster and more user-friendly than before..
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 17:50:23 by saltydog »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 17:27:52 »

Yes, if you allready have Firefox, definately download the newest update (Firefox3)... ;)
i did pres on Search after Update on Help here and it didnt stand that it was any updates :'(

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 20:53:17 »

Thanks for all the info guys, i will look into firefox so i can get a better understanding of it.

Jack. :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 21:48:27 »

Hi Jack.

And to counter-balance the discussion, I have IE and Firefox installed. Personally I believe that firefox is a pile of utter junk. Contrary to claims, it is no more standards compliant than IE. Both have their bugs and neither are fully compliant.

I am no great fan of IE, but then I am no great fan of Firefox either. IMO Firefox is a pretty poor example of community developed software. I work on Perl and MySQL development. That of course is absolutely perfect. (Ha!). Because it is community development, the promoters of it stick their noses in the air and make sanctimonious claims about how much better it is. But they hide or conveniently ignore the defects....

Firefox has at least as many flaws as IE. If it didn't, it would still be V1.0 wouldn't it?

(Duck, outrage attack headed this way. Quick Jack, dive under here).

But to get back to your problem, if this is something that has happened recently, take a look to see if you have installed Yahoo Toolbar, Google toolbar etc. If so, unistall them and it will probably be OK.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 22:22:55 »

Thanks for that,Terry  I allways enjoy your input.. ;)

I have used Ff troublefree for many years, perhaps IE would have served me as well, maybe not.. :)
I suppose I switched browsers because I liked the idea that there was a reasonable alternative to Microsoft's dominance..Nice to hear that Bill Gates is now giving his money away..
You, of course, look at it from a "techie" point of view, and see many flaws in both browsers..
How much of this is based in reality, I couldn't possibly judge..
To call Firefox "a pile of utter junk" is perhaps putting it a bit strongly, as you have it installed yourself..
(I thought your wife was the "Foxy" one of you two.. ;D )
But anyone here can make up their own mind what to use..Luckily there is a choice..
Just Google "Firefox3" and see what others have to say about it.
(but of course, they are all just "a pile of utter idiots"..    :D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:55:57 by saltydog »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 16:54:35 »

Hi Jack.

And to counter-balance the discussion, I have IE and Firefox installed. Personally I believe that firefox is a pile of utter junk. Contrary to claims, it is no more standards compliant than IE. Both have their bugs and neither are fully compliant.

I am no great fan of IE, but then I am no great fan of Firefox either. IMO Firefox is a pretty poor example of community developed software. I work on Perl and MySQL development. That of course is absolutely perfect. (Ha!). Because it is community development, the promoters of it stick their noses in the air and make sanctimonious claims about how much better it is. But they hide or conveniently ignore the defects....

Firefox has at least as many flaws as IE. If it didn't, it would still be V1.0 wouldn't it?

(Duck, outrage attack headed this way. Quick Jack, dive under here).

But to get back to your problem, if this is something that has happened recently, take a look to see if you have installed Yahoo Toolbar, Google toolbar etc. If so, unistall them and it will probably be OK.

Hi Terry,

thanks for the info, i'll just stick to what i have then ;D i do have Google toolbar, but i've had google toolbar for a long time with no problems, what happened seems very random, like something went wrong out of the blue, i also have another toolbar (again which i have had for ages) which is an msn toolbar, do you think my problems will be resolved if i uninstall both of them? i'm clean of viruses (i have bullgaurd, which is fantastic) so i think we can rule out a virus problem.

once again thanks.

Jack :)

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 18:33:47 »

Hi Jack.

It may just be something that uninstalling and reinstalling will fix. They could be innocent of course, but it is a quick and easy process, so worth the try.

It could also be an update to your antivirus is conflicting with one of them. Again uninstall and reinstall will generally make the software happy again.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 19:30:22 »

Hi Jack.

It may just be something that uninstalling and reinstalling will fix. They could be innocent of course, but it is a quick and easy process, so worth the try.

It could also be an update to your antivirus is conflicting with one of them. Again uninstall and reinstall will generally make the software happy again.

Hi Terry, please forgive me i am useless at computers, how do i get rid of the toolbars?

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 19:54:01 »

I don't have a lot of experience, since I never allow them to be installed in the first place.

But, I think that if you go to control panel => uninstall programs you should see them in the list. Just click on the "uninstall" button.

It is possible that they don't install in this way, so let me know if not. I'll go look it up.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 22:08:45 »

Hiya guys :)

Excuse me for interrupting, but this could also be another problem :-\

Downloaded ActiveX controls, Plugins etc. for IE can cause problems.  You can disable everything, and check to see which is causing the problem, by re-enabling them one-by-one ;)

The following link may help you out too Jack:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

Regards.

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 22:42:43 »

Hi Carl.

You know that you never need to appologise for adding your expertise! Always welcome, my friend.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 22:45:37 »

I guess I was brought up too well at times eh, using my manners is 'par for the course' ;)

It's something we both do Terry, kind of a habit really ;D

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 22:52:26 »

Yes, it feels "incorrect" if I leap in, mid conversation. I feel obliged to say sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines