Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 21:01:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need disc to play?  (Read 3988 times)

Kona1988

• Forum member
Need disc to play?
« on: June 17, 2008, 22:09:12 »

Hello, I was just wondering if you needed the disc to run Ship Sim 2008, I was going to be sharing with my brother (we each paid half). So i wasnt sure if we needed to be taking turns.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Need disc to play?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 22:11:04 »

You can't share. Well you can but you CANNOT play at the same time with the same license key. It is against the EULA. I have the download version so I don't know. :(

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 22:24:34 »

yes you can only play ship sim with the disc so if you what to each play you will have to take turns

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 22:26:29 »

Hiya Kona1988 :)

The basic 'rule of thumb' here is:

One member, One licence key

Sharing your game is illegal, and as Agent|Austin says, against the EULA (End User Licence Agreement).  You and your Brother must buy your own games (one each) :)

Regards.

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 23:03:20 »

yes you can only play ship sim with the disc so if you what to each play you will have to take turns

Actually, that depends upon where you buy it. In the past, some UK distributors put on copy protection so that you needed the disc to start the game. US purchasers don’t.
Of course, if you buy and download the game from VSTEP you don’t need the disc that you don’t get. :)
This, however, does not change the license situation as explained by DJM.

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:10:06 »

Dang :/

Thanks though anyways.

Its not illegal to have it on one computer with multipul users is it? Because, I thought the term was "one copy for one computer" not "user". Is it per computer or users with VStep?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:54 »

Dang :/

Thanks though anyways.

Its not illegal to have it on one computer with multipul users is it? Because, I thought the term was "one copy for one computer" not "user". Is it per computer or users with VStep?

I don't think that would be a problem. I let my grandpa play it on my computer when ever he comes over. He likes doing what he used to do.

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 01:31:18 »

Okay, i didn't think it would. Well, Geuss we will have to play on my computer, (LOT better)

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:44:43 »

I can play it with out the cd.I don't see the point that one household should buy two copyes of shipsim, so that two people in the same house can play it at the same time. The only thing is, that only one of them can be on multiplayer.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:59:03 »

I can play it with out the cd.I don't see the point that one household should buy two copyes of shipsim, so that two people in the same house can play it at the same time. The only thing is, that only one of them can be on multiplayer.
Thats not a loved an the oder person use a pirate copy of you game read the license come with the game, the CD key it's personally like you bank card ore will you lend away you credit card to someone with the code, it's yous't the same
tjk
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:02:10 by Capt.Bluebeard »

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:16:10 »

Mate, TBH, not condoning anything ''illegal''. but no-one expects you to pay for 2 copies of one thing (Except for companies, which have that 'rule' so that people don't go lending the program to their friends etc.), just so another person on the same computer can use it, BTW, trying to install 2-copies of the one game will not work.

Just do what ever you like.! :D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 09:37:45 »

Hiya all :)

One copy of the game on one PC is allowed, but this phrase is not a good way to look at things:

Just do what ever you like.! :D

Doing "whatever you like" is not allowed.  Remember:

When purchasing software, you are not buying the software, you are buying a licence to use that software.  The software remains the property of the copyright holder, in this case VSTEP.  When you click Ok/Accept/Yes on the EULA screen, you are accepting the terms in that licence.

Regards.

Carl.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 14:06:05 »

Well I got shipsim insatalled in my grandpa's and grandma's computer, but I'm the only one using it.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 14:19:00 »

Well I got shipsim insatalled in my grandpa's and grandma's computer, but I'm the only one using it.

If you have the game installed on 2 different computers, you are actually in breach of the EULA, and any support for Ship Sim can be removed.  You may want to read through the EULA again, and reconsider your options.

Regards.

Carl.

Edit:  I am now seeking further clarification on this entire subject, just so we all know exactly what's expected :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 14:24:01 by [RWP]DJM »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 19:54:14 »

If you have the game installed on 2 different computers, you are actually in breach of the EULA, and any support for Ship Sim can be removed.  You may want to read through the EULA again, and reconsider your options.

Regards.

Carl.

Edit:  I am now seeking further clarification on this entire subject, just so we all know exactly what's expected :)
yes installing 2 like cd-game on more than 1 computer is the same a Pirate Download.  >:(
So its a break of one rule if these happends

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 19:55:21 »

Okay : ) Its decided that im just putting it on my computer.

Thanks

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 19:57:49 »

Thanks
so if you brother wants to play ship Sim 08 its the best way to use the same computer ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 20:18:02 »

Thanks

OI heard your computer is better anyway.  :P

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 21:01:52 »

Regards.

Carl.

But I only have it installed so I can play a bit with high quality.

ferryenthusiast

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:55:34 »

Having read the EULA..

"Limited Use License. Owner grants you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one copy of the Program solely for your personal use on a single computer."

Personally the above is quite a "grey" statement.  As it does not use the word "Install".

Therefore, my interpretation of this is.

I can install on my computer and laptop, providing that I (the owner of the license) only play one at a time.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 09:29:29 »

Hiya all :)

I've just had this confirmed by one of the Development team, what I said was correct:

So, that is the official standpoint.  One game, one PC.

Regards.

Carl.

Destrega

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 09:17:55 »

Suggestion removed.  Promoting the use of files to modify the 'legal' use of Ship Simulator is unacceptable!

Also, your name 'Kona1988'; you mountain bike?

Edited by DJM.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:27:55 by [RWP]DJM »
-Member Of The Tug Community-
Name: Destrega   Vessel: Sherpa

dannyman1995

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 18:37:20 »

mine plays without the dic but im not sugessting anything

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 18:53:02 »

mine plays without the dic but im not sugessting anything

This topic is a little old for a post like yours. :) Just a tip. ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 21:23:09 »

Hi Dannyman1995.

Just to add to Agent|Austin's good words, please don't dig up old topics unless you have something worthwhile to add to them. It's considered bad form here. Please read the Forum Guidelines if you're in any doubt.

The Help Page.  To assist you with forum posting, and the more advanced features on the forum -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=help

The Forum Rules.  To help you make informed decisions regarding posting - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,26.0.html

The Search function.  A very useful tool to help you find the answer to that elusive question -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=search

The Tutorials board.  Check here for guides that cover common questions -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,35.0.html

The Technical Support board/s.  Got a problem with your game?  This is where you need to check first.

Ship Simulator 2006 Technical Support -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Ship Simulator 2008 Technical Support -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,5.0.html

* Please note:  To access Technical Support, you will need to register your Ship Simulator licence key into your forum profile.  If you're not sure how to do this, please check the General FAQ's.

The FAQ's and Announcements board.  Check here for answers to commonly asked questions.  Also a useful source for the latest information regarding Ship Simulator development - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,1.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines