Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 10:55:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Titanic mission.  (Read 22441 times)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Real Titanic mission.
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 20:57:36 »

Yeah if you truthfully respected the vessel why would you like to sink it? Respect is not creating the disaster again for 'fun' if anything it would be used in a real world situation with much betetr physics to see how it 'really' happened so that we can begin to raise it from its cold, dark, grave.

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 21:33:29 »

I just said it would be cool to see it be able to happen in a game. I didn't mean to say it would be cool to sink.

Now can we just drop this and lock this thread?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 21:52:32 »

I just said it would be cool to see it be able to happen in a game. I didn't mean to say it would be cool to sink.

Now can we just drop this and lock this thread?
You can click 'lock topic' in the lower left hand corner. Since topic owners can lock their own topics so yes you can.

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 22:01:26 »

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 00:05:19 »

Agent Austin and Paul, you're both crossing big lines here. Better cut it out right now. I don't like people who act like children on this forum. Furthermore, I'm re-opening the topic to see if you're both adult enough to stop it yourself, I sure do hope so.
Edit: Offtopic is still not allowed...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:00:30 by Wout »
Wout

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 10:16:20 »

yes of corce we can
it was just your wording if cool was changed to commemorate then our responece would have been compleatly different in manor and so you know ships just sink like this no mater where the damage is
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:14:21 by pauljanaway1 »

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 20:56:54 »

Yes, I did not mean to make it seem I ment it cool to just sink ships, especially the Titanic. I just ment (Why is my word check saying Ment is not a word..) that the Titanic's sinking was one of most tragic, that I've heard of, in history.

P.S. I thought the Titanic did break? I know saying 'snap in two' sounded kiddish, I couldn't think of how to say it. But I thought the reason it sank was because the iceburg ripped the walls off many of the 'water-tight-compartments', thus adding to much weight to the front, thus making the ship tip forward, and then I thought the backend broke off when the ship was nearing a 90 degree angle, because of course, the weight of half a cruise ship is to much to react to the front end.

TerryRussell

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 21:01:33 »

I just ment (Why is my word check saying Ment is not a word..)

You meant "meant", not "ment"...  ;)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 21:05:49 »

Yes, I did not mean to make it seem I ment it cool to just sink ships, especially the Titanic. I just ment (Why is my word check saying Ment is not a word..) that the Titanic's sinking was one of most tragic, that I've heard of, in history.

P.S. I thought the Titanic did break? I know saying 'snap in two' sounded kiddish, I couldn't think of how to say it. But I thought the reason it sank was because the iceburg ripped the walls off many of the 'water-tight-compartments', thus adding to much weight to the front, thus making the ship tip forward, and then I thought the backend broke off when the ship was nearing a 90 degree angle, because of course, the weight of half a cruise ship is to much to react to the front end.

Actually when it hit the bow shifted creating a tall "door" in the bow. The water tight doors obviously didn't work. The titanic did break because the bow of the vessel was heavy and when the stern started going in it fell down.

P.S. Ment isn't a word.

TerryRussell

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 21:18:45 »

P.S. Ment isn't a word.

Hi A|A.

Yep, I said that, four minutes earlier....  ;D

There are some very interesting (for me) books on the failure modes that ocurred in Titanic. Many "shouldn't happen" things did happen, of course. One book that I read had about 500 pages, of which around 300 were the calculations showing stress factors, flood rates and so on. I found it fascinating from an engineering point of view.

The death of so many people is of course a matter of great regret. But due to this, modern boats have lifeboats. All vessels are required to perform a 24 hour radio coverage. There are comprehensive rules ofr shipping and so on. So some good came out of it in the end.

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 21:19:04 »

ooh, Stupid library books, why do you lie.. They said that the watertight compartments worked, but to many were ripped open.

Oh, yeah, had a brain vague moment xD What was I thinking

Edited by Terry for bad language
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 21:36:02 by TerryRussell »

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 22:30:36 »

i read i book once that proved that the titanic was infact not weak like some people think and that the ship was infact very strong and only broke because of the high angle of witch was at

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 00:31:14 »

i read i book once that proved that the titanic was infact not weak like some people think and that the ship was infact very strong and only broke because of the high angle of witch was at
It was strong but usually you try to avoid hitting ice burgs.  :P

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 01:11:26 »

lol, some strict langeuege  restrictions huh? : P Well, not my choice.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 03:31:47 »

Actually, the ship only broke at a 10 degree angle according to the 2006 theory, saying the expansion joints were weak.

TerryRussell

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 08:16:00 »

Hi Kona1988.

Have you read the Mission Editor guide yet and tried to create a mission? I'd suggest creating something very simple first. Then you can make it more complicated afterwards. The guide takes you through, step by step.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 10:09:37 »

Hi Kona1988.

Have you read the Mission Editor guide yet and tried to create a mission? I'd suggest creating something very simple first. Then you can make it more complicated afterwards. The guide takes you through, step by step.

Witch can be found in the tutorials section of the News & F.A.Q.

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3653.0.html

I am sure there are some others floating around. You may want to use the search (http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=search;advanced) function and look for some mission editor tutorials.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 10:43:38 »

Actually, the ship only broke at a 10 degree angle according to the 2006 theory, saying the expansion joints were weak.

yes i have allso heard of that one as expantion joint at that time of ships where very new and people dident realy know how to do it also brittanics joints where changed witch make you think somthing is up.
but what i meant was that the steal it self was strong anough to hold the ship in even thoughest weather (some people thing she had poor steal)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 10:55:15 »

yes i have allso heard of that one as expantion joint at that time of ships where very new and people dident realy know how to do it also brittanics joints where changed witch make you think somthing is up.
but what i meant was that the steal it self was strong anough to hold the ship in even thoughest weather (some people thing she had poor steal)
It turned weak and brittle in cold tempuratures, making it easier for the iceburg to pop out the rivets and open the gaps between plates.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 10:57:57 »

yes metel dose that but it was the expantion joint that gave way in the end and ship are not make to hit ice burges at 21kt wright down the side

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 10:59:34 »

yes metel dose that but it was the expantion joint that gave way in the end and ship are not make to hit ice burges at 21kt wright down the side

Yeah I think that maybe hitting an iceburg could have been the problem that caused it to sink.  ::) Not all this stuff about joins and rivets and doors and sleeping captains.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 11:20:53 »

Though the ship may have settled at a point if the aft expansion joint didn't give.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 22:06:22 »

Edited by Terry, to remove a long sequence of single sentence, off-topic posts. Please note that if need be, I will combine all of your similar posts in other threads into a single post, which may mean that your total post count may go down to a total of 1. Please also read the forum rules as to what constitutes spamming (lots of off-topic posts, for example). See http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,26.0.html

pauljanaway1 :

yes i think the ice burg played a large part in the events that follwed

RMS Gigantic :
Though the ship may have settled at a point if the aft expansion joint didn't give.

pauljanaway1 :
well she was going down fast if the joint haddent given way maybe she would have lasted another 1/2 maybe more

RMS Gigantic :
They said when they created the 2006 theory that it may have settled

pauljanaway1 :
and it is exatly its a theory and when the windose in the first class stair way gave in it would have flooded the whole ship inside so it would have only gotten faster as it went down

RMS Gigantic :
Like the Britannic without the windows already open?

pauljanaway1 :
yes brittanic sunk beacuse people left the windose open and it fooded on titnaic the windose on the first class stair cace brock under the strain of the water pressing againes then

RMS Gigantic :
One reason not to open windows, regardless of how stuffy it is! ;D :P

pauljanaway1 :
well they did not has air cooling units back then so it would seem the thing to do  but if the ship is sink you would think to close them first

RMS Gigantic :
I used that to poke fun at how my mother wants to air the house out this summer:

"But that's what doomed the Britannic!"

pauljanaway1 :
well being bombed dident help much aswell

RMS Gigantic :
rofl! XD

pauljanaway1 :
yes a big hole in the side of a ship made it list and the windsoe sank it

RMS Gigantic :
The windows weighed the ship down enough to breach the 7th compartment.

In 10 minutes, She was in the same condition her sister was in an hour after hitting the burg!

pauljanaway1 :
she sank in 40 minsits dident she 

RMS Gigantic :

pauljanaway1 :
still close

RMS Gigantic :
she wouln'd have sunk had the windows remained closed.

pauljanaway1 :
well the captain did tell them to be kept closed

RMS Gigantic :
arrive at NY on time

pauljanaway1 :
the brittanic still was a greate ship

RMS Gigantic :
Too bad she never got that pipe organ.

pauljanaway1 :
well would not be much use at war 

RMS Gigantic :
but great on a passenger ship!

pauljanaway1 :
or they could have used it for chearing up the troops having a sing song would chear many people up in war times

any ways we seem to have gone off topic a bit

yes any way to do a titanic mission that is to be true to life would take 5 days and would mena you would have to cross hundreds of different everovemts

as we are not allwoed to say any thing even on topic thing you might aswell close the thread
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 22:28:22 by pauljanaway1 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines