Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 00:58:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ship Simulator Forum Improvements.  (Read 5263 times)

lilfirefighterbailey

• Forum member
The Ship Simulator Forum Improvements.
« on: June 15, 2008, 23:25:55 »

Hi Guys,

I suppose every now and then, things could be made better so here is your chance to let Ship Simulator Developers know what could be donw to improve the forum.

(Note that we do not want abusive comments because they have done a good enough job).

Post your ideas here.

My first idea would be the ability to attach videos in your messages although the use of the Hyperlink feature covers this slightly but a direct attachment would be quicker. ;D

Kind Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
SSN Admin/Founder

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
Re: The Ship Simulator Forum Improvements.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 14:09:45 »

being able to put pics in a PM to somebody

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 16:18:55 »

Hi guys :)

Have a look at the SMF website, the mods section, this is where you can get mods for these forums ;)

But I think VSTEP made their own mods and themes :)

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 18:29:01 »

The biggest improvement to this forum would be a periodic pruning—monthly or even weekly—to remove all non-informative and inane posts.

Useful posts are quickly buried under many useless “me too” and irrelevancies. This is compounded by newcomers who repeat the same questions and complaints, which are in turn buried.

An alternative solution has been implemented by Terry in the Creator’s Forum. Initially devoted to serious mission creators, he is expanding it to be an organized source of information on the operation of the Ship Simulator—with a bug reporting method.

Irrelevant posts and abusive comments are not allowed. As a means to keep the place clean, we exclude from membership those who have a history, on this forum, of inane or abusive posts, or of other behavior such as ramming in multi-play, or submitting bogus “missions” to the CMMs.
Marty

Penguin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 20:30:48 »

- I would like to see more smileys.
CPU: Core2duo E6400 (2 x 2,13 GHz)
Grafik: 8600GT/512 RAM
RAM: 2 GB DDR II SD-RAM
VISTA

budbud

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 21:53:25 »

Hi,

I take advantages of this thread to bring back a poll I wrote about 2 months ago.
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,6872.0.html

I think it would be very useful today in order to organize some events in multiplayer and chat quickly with some players when wqe have problems with the servers. In fact we experienced these days with some mates the problem of losing somebody because he can't connect to a server, etc.
By having a chatbox in the forum we could exchange quickly some pieces of information.
Budbud
C'est curieux ce besoin que les marins ont de faire des phrases!

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 23:10:02 »

Well, we do have some events in MP.

This evening, there was a Race and Tournament on my server. Great fun was had by all who attended. Next Saturday's event looks as though a lot more people will be attending.

See the thread in MP, "Ram & Run Tournament".

I do understand that not everything you would wish for is being undertaken, though.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:21:24 »

Hmmmm....I would like to see less off-topic content ;)
That's a improvement that the moderators can care for ;)

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 17:24:08 »

I would like the ability to specify in my profile which group of topics (i.e. boards) are searched when I click on "Show unread posts since last visit", for example I would like to filter out new posts on the non english spoken boards (as I can only read english)- hope that make sense.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 20:05:24 »

I think a good idea would be to have a live chatbox like on my trawler forum.

http://iri5hj4cks-trawler-s.hightoxic.com/index.htm

oh and if you are not a member you cannot see the chatbox, its at the very bottom if you are a member. :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 15:26:03 »

I would like the ability to specify in my profile which group of topics (i.e. boards) are searched when I click on "Show unread posts since last visit", for example I would like to filter out new posts on the non english spoken boards (as I can only read english)- hope that make sense.
Once SMF 2 FINAL is released, Vstep may update the forum to it, SMF 2 allows users to 'ignore' boards in their profile..

I think a good idea would be to have a live chatbox like on my trawler forum.

http://iri5hj4cks-trawler-s.hightoxic.com/index.htm

oh and if you are not a member you cannot see the chatbox, its at the very bottom if you are a member. :)
Live chatbox's can cause problems on forums and users may recieve errors on the forum..

What I would like to see is a page on the forum, with a list of servers that are online and how many people are connected, and if you click for 'more info' you can see who currently is connected(updates every 30-10 secs).. And a link where you can get maps like http://shipais.com where you can see where a user is in the enviroment.. (map updates every 30-60 secs)
Although I doubt Vstep will do it for ShipSim08.. I hope they consider it for ShipSim09..
Regards,
James

lilfirefighterbailey

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 01:36:32 »

Hiya Jamesd01,

That AIS Website is brilliant.

I think we should have that for SS08 or 09 aswell. It would work just like flight sim when you play on multiplayer and when you click "globe".

This would be a fabulous idea for VSTEP to develop.

Kind Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
SSN Admin/Founder

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 22:34:12 »

yes as finding a server that has people on means you have to enter each server and find out where every body is whtich takes alot of time and is a pain

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 06:55:59 »

I want to see more Spambot! I have a strange feeling that this game is only played by men (!??) :)
That also goes for this forum :P

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 15:04:39 »

we dont know on a forum you could be anyone so how do we know that there are not lots of Spambot allready on here

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 18:17:58 »

Sorry Pauljanaway, but I suspect "in your dreams" may be the applicable saying here...

But, to bring this thread back on topic, I don't think that a sudden surge of female company will actuall change the Forum itself. So, can we stick to that, now?

I'd like to see a spell checker linked in. I certainly need it.  ;D

I can see how it could be done, so that checker would be at a local level (my version of English is different to the US version, so we'd need a spell checker runnning locally. Could be done via Javascript, I think).

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 20:54:25 »

I'd like to see a spell checker linked in. I certainly need it.  ;D

I can see how it could be done, so that checker would be at a local level (my version of English is different to the US version, so we'd need a spell checker runnning locally. Could be done via Javascript, I think).
A spell checker comes standard with SMF, however "You MUST have the pspell library installed on your server and your PHP configuration set up to use the pspell library." ;)
Regards,
James

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 21:17:06 »

Thinking out aloud, I think it could also be done using a javascript to check to see if you have MS Office or other products installed, that come with a localised spell checker. It could then access the relevant library through the appropriate API call.

That would be relatively easy and would ensure that the correct language is being used as the basis of the spell check.

lilfirefighterbailey

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 22:00:12 »

Hehe, i totally agree with you Terry,

As i 15 year old i don't have a clue what all that is but eerm yes, i agree.

;D

Kind Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
SSN Founder And Editor
Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
SSN Admin/Founder

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 22:17:36 »

Sorry, I get carried away. Usually on a stretcher after a night out. But you should see me when I'm on about ISO9001. Makes this tecchie side of me look dopey.

lilfirefighterbailey

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 22:20:29 »

:D ;D

Terry, so funny.

You don't see me carried out on a stretcher hehe.
Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
SSN Admin/Founder

budbud

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 22:21:39 »

Hi,

Firefox actually has a built-in spellchecker, at least from the version 2. And as I set it for french language, almost all the words I write in english like in this reply are underlined. But it may only detect the mistakes, I'm not sure that it can correct it automatically.

Budbud
C'est curieux ce besoin que les marins ont de faire des phrases!

lilfirefighterbailey

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 22:08:49 »

Hi Guys,

I think also the forum should have a Multiplayer Server list that updates itself every 2 minutes and it shows all the users that are in the servers.

If ya know what i mean hehe.

Kind Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
Admin on http://ssn2008.hightoxic.com
Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
SSN Admin/Founder

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 08:43:15 »

that would be usfull as to go through all the servers takes time

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 11:31:34 »

Hi Guys,

I think also the forum should have a Multiplayer Server list that updates itself every 2 minutes and it shows all the users that are in the servers.

If ya know what i mean hehe.

Kind Regards
Lilfirefighterbailey
Admin on http://ssn2008.hightoxic.com
HI
If you go here http://www.ie7pro.com/ and download the little add ones to IE you will got that you wish, you can get the sit to update she self from evry 15 second to minutes and it haw more goodies
TJK
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines