Hello Guest March 19, 2024, 09:40:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dock Freight - A game in itself?  (Read 10620 times)

lobsang

• Forum member
Dock Freight - A game in itself?
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:37:57 »

A while ago I was driving past Dynon Rd Dock on the way to work (Melbourne, Australia http://maps.google.com/?ll=-37.809225,144.916556&spn=0.00968,0.017381&t=k&om=1), and an idea came into my head that I still cant get rid of -

A management game based on the incoming/outgoing freight at a dock could be great. (I've posted this elsewhere before)

Looking at some of the features in Shipsim 2008, it may be possible to use this sim as a platform, and develop a mod , or a sequel.

Driving past the docks on a regular basis has rekindled my fascination with the scale of the opration, and I cant help but feel there is  a great management game in there.
I think the ships/containers/cranes/machinery/freight trains would hold appeal for boys of all ages (And a lot of big kids like me).
  • Big machinery. Big ships, trucks, and massive cargo ships. Fun for all boys, no matter what their age.
  • Chaos. The amount of activity going on at a dock would be amazing.
  • Atmosphere. Loud engines, Flashing lights, dark stormy nights, big waves.
I felt I had to document some of the ideas I've had somewhere before I forget them.

Game concepts would draw on Ship Sim, Railroad Simulator 2006,Transport Tycoon, Tropico, City Life,Evil Genius and Tetris but I think the most similarity would  be with Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. (Replacing the theme park with a large concrete slab on the waterfront to use as a dock)

The basic premise of the game is that huge cargo ships arrive on a regular basis from around the world (Beyond the players control) on one edge of the map.
At the same time freight arrive from different inland destinations via freight trains (And via great big bloody long freight trains that look cool too!).

Example 1
  • Container arrives via ship
  • Container may be destined for Local (Truck), or to Inland North, Inland South , or Inland East (Train)
  • Container must be stored on the dock until the train/truck arrives for the correct destination
  • Container must be loaded onto train before it departs to earn delivery income
Example 2
  • Container arrives via train/truck
  • Container may be destined for Offshore North, Offshore South, Offshore East, or Offshore West
  • Container must be stored on the dock until the ship arrives for the correct destination
  • Container must be loaded onto ship before it departs to earn delivery income
Example 3
  • Coal arrives by train
  • Coal may be destined for Offshore North, Offshore South, Offshore East, or Offshore West
  • Coal must be stored in a pile until the correct ship arrives
  • Coal must be loaded onto ship before it departs to earn delivery income
Example 4
  • Petrol arrives by ship
  • Petrol may be destined for Inland North, Inland South , or Inland East (Train)
  • Petrol must be stored on the dock in a tank until the train arrives for the correct destination
  • Petrol must be loaded onto train before it departs to earn delivery income
The job of the player is to make money, and the player will receive money when freight is onto the ship/train that will take it to its required location. Meanwhile, every operation that is required to get a container from one side of the dock to the other will be costing the player money (Staff costs,Crane costs, truck costs, container rental costs), so if you take too long to get containers to where they need to go, it will lose money.

The challenge of the game is in the management of the unloading/loading /storage process and getting containers to to the ship/train they need. The number of containers in the game should be massive and and efficient system will be required or else they will be stacked in the wrong spot, put under a pile of containers/miss the boat they had to depart on.

Miscellaneous game ideas:

-Trucks
The cheapest form of transport is a truck. You will initially be able to buy many trucks for local delivery, but you will also need to staff each one. As the game progresses the cost/benefit of many trucks will be outweighed by a large train.

- Trains
You would start the game with 1 train in your dock. You can choose which inland destination it goes to.
So you could load for Inland North, unload, come back, and go to Inland East

- Purchasing/Upgrading Trains
When the supply of containers outweighs the needs of one train, you can buy new engines and rolling stock.
You could
  • Add the engine to the existing train, so it could pull a larger amount of cargo
  • Add the engine and rolling stock as a separate train, allowing you to deliver to more inland destinations at once
  • To do this you would first need to lay new tracks/loading points to allow 2 trains to load/unload at once

- Ships
Ships would require the purchase of  tug boats to navigate harbours.
If you don't have sufficient tugboats, ships will be queued and wont be able to enter the harbour.

Initially there will be a steady flow of ships to ensure a positive inflow of freight into the dock.
Eventually, you will have enough outbound cargo to warrant purchasing of your own ships to speed up the outflow. (Otherwise your dock will be full of cargo)
Ships will be incredibly expensive (Billions), but will make you a lot of money.

- Roads/Tracks/Shipping Lanes
You will need to lay down roads or tracks where needed

-Staff
Each vehicle/object in your game requires staff. These staff can be efficient or lazy.
You can hire and fire them as in Roller Coaster tycoon.
A huge crane may require 5 staff, a truck may require 1.
Assigning only 4 people to the crane would make it work slower, while if no people were available, it would not work at all.

- Popularity, The more popular your dock is with the community , the more ships and trains it will attract , which in turn should lead to more money. The higher this rating, the more compliant staff are.

- Building
You will need to build/allocate
  • ship unloading cranes
  • rails for the cranes
  • rails for the trains
  • train unloading cranes
  • truck unloading cranes
  • container space (Run out of container space and you're in trouble)
  • laneways (Allow minitrucks to get containers to trains/ship)
  • coal storage
  • coal conveyor belts (Connect coal piles to trains/ship)
  • wheat storage
  • wheat conveyor belts (Connect wheck piles to trains/ship)
  • livestock storage
  • Animal runs  (Connect livestock storage to trains/ship)
  • petrol storage
  • Petrol pipes (Connect petrol tanks to trains/ship)
  • Security posts
  • Control tower
  • Emergency response stations
  • Train maintenance yards
  • Ship maintenance dry dock

Each building would have their own management window to alter speed/maintenance - ala Roller Coaster Tycoon attractions

-Sounds
Have you ever heard a freight train rumble past your house?
They don't all sound the same, some rattle the windows, some are smooth, and the age of the engine would affect the noise it makes.
Likewise a dock has noises for everything from reversing beepers to fog horns.
Replicating these sounds would ensure the atmosphere of the docks.

- Vehicles
Purchase patrol cars, patrol boats, emergency response boats, emergency response vehicles,

- Container stacks - You will need to make stacks of containers. (This would account for the majority of space usage at any dock)
A ship/train might arrive with lots of containers to go to destinations x, y and z, but a train/ship going to z might not arrive for a while.
You will be able to assign stacks to for incoming/outgoing containers, furthermore, you can specify that stack 1 is for incoming containers for City 1 only.
You could also just dump all containers in a big stack, but if a ship/train arrives that is going to destination x, and the most of the containers for destination x are at the bottom of the pile, then it will take a while for the cranes to move the containers on top of container x, and the container might not be got to in time to make the ship/train it has to depart on.
If you are not successfully getting containers out of your dock, all your stacks will fill, and you wont be able to accept any new deliveries.

Game Events - Occasionally you will be asked to undertake risky manoeuvres that will bring monetary benefit, but might adversely affect popularity. (Eg Transport Nuclear Waste and have Greenpeace sail around and delay your ships, pay unions well, or a union strike will cripple your dock,) Think Transport Tycoon newspaper pages.

Animation- The underlying appeal of the game should be in detailed animation of trains/trucks/ships/cranes.
The user should be able to sit back and just watch the complex process unfold like the other tycoon games mentioned.
The game would strive to look realistic rather than cartoony (eg Ship sim/ Railroad Tycoon train detail over RCT3 detail).
Trains would be to scale, and trains would not be bigger than cities like Railroads!

Security - Security personnel will be needed , vandalised containers will affect popularity. (But would look cool) (Security will drive around in little security cars, preferrably with flashing lights)
Security would also deal with illegal cargo, greenpeace protesters, union strikes etc.

Safety - Disasters need to occur,a small Health & Safety budget will equate to accidents.
Stack containers to high and they will topple over, spill nuclear waste and you're in trouble, run cranes too fast and they will break down, don't have boom gates at rail crossings and trains will crash occasionally.
You will also be able to accident response teams (That will drive to accident sites), otherwise accidents wont get cleaned up, and will bottleneck the dock.

Vehicles - You will need to be able to buy lots of different vehicles - Trucks/Trains/Cranes/Personel Vehicles.
Vehicles will get upgraded with research to be able to move containers faster, or be able to handle bigger containers. (Once you are able to handle bigger containers ships with bigger containers will start arriving which will be worth more to unload)

Traffic - managing the flow of trucks, vehicles and trains around your port will be a big part of the game.
Build bridges, major roads, traffic lights etc to streamline traffic.

Trucks - As well as trains arriving to pick up cargo, trucks would arrive for local drop off . (Whereas trains would be to deliver stuff further away)
Trucks would be easier to unload/load, but provide much smaller returns. They would also require different equipment to unload.

Competition - You would be in competition with other docks in the area, and be able to see statistics etc.
Just like other Tycoon games.

Container usage - You will be able to see at a glance where any container is headed for, if it is inland , or offshore, and how long it has been at the dock, and the profit/loss on that container

Different Freight Types - You might need to transport other cargo type, such as Livestock, Oil, Coal , Wheat, which would all require different machines and workflows. (You couldn't leave livestock on the dock for a month)
Coal and Wheat would be stored in huge piles. Oil/petrol in big tankers.

Customs - You might be offered bonuses by the government to assist in national security.
If you install container x ray devices you will be able to detect illegal cargo in vessels.
You will be able to get a bonus for every bit of illegal cargo detected, but detection will slow your container loading process down.
You will be able to set how many containers are scanned to increase throughput (eg every container, or 1 in 10 like real life where it is difficult to scan every container), but this increases the risk of missing illegal containers (Which will give negative popularity if found)

Research - Start the game in modern times (Diesel trains/big ships), but allow research to go into futuristic unloading designs (Maglev, teleporters?)
Research into safety would allow you to stack containers higher, move cranes faster etc
Some research will affect popularity - eg dredging and widening of the bay will allow bigger ships, but will upset greenies.

Misc - Sources of inspiration
A Google video example of a container port in action (As an example of the hive of activity that would make it a great game to watch in motion)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4935852764558928235&q=genre%3Aanimation

And one of big ships as well:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2986306052094293222&q=genre%3Aanimation

Imagine seeing the new cranes you purchased delivered in this style:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2585536610099970032CJrVax

Season

• Forum member
Re: Dock Freight - A game in itself?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:44:02 »

I think the ships/containers/cranes/machinery/freight trains would hold appeal for boys of all ages (And a lot of big kids like me).

What about me?

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:28:31 »

yeah thats a female. wow u took a lot of time to write that. SOunds like a pretty good idea
Ich hasse dich.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 12:49:51 »

yeah thats a female. wow u took a lot of time to write that. SOunds like a pretty good idea

"That"? lol.

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 13:00:14 »

Ich hasse dich.

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 13:34:26 »

What about me?

Everybody knows girls aren't s'posed to be interested in stuff like that!  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 13:34:56 »

Discrimination.  :'(

lobsang

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 13:41:42 »

What about me?

How about boys of all ages, tomboys of all ages, and big kids of any sex?

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 20:10:55 »

People, on topic!

I think this is seriously a good idea. But how do you prevent it from being tycoon 2089 which no person buys? About the graphics: you can't make such a game with SS2008 graphics. No computer would pull that.

Besides those points, I want it on my computer!
Wout

lobsang

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 00:20:24 »

No computer would pull that.

I disagree.
You would  only be modelling 1 dock, not the whole harbour.
(Eg: An area the size of this picture http://maps.google.com/?t=k&om=1&ie=UTF8&ll=-37.814666,144.91514&spn=0.009679,0.023518&z=16)

So it should actually be less area than Shipsim models.

Your ships and trains would disappear off the edge of the screen and come back later.
Games like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 succeed in having an amazing level of 3d detail, which still runs well.

I dont think it would be worth doing if it wasn't done in 3d with fantastic attention to detail.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 04:18:41 by lobsang »

lobsang

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 12:40:40 »

I just remembered another game idea/concept.

If you've played Evil Genius you may have seen the bit at the end where you have to construct a mass weapon, but the parts for this weapon are delivered individually to the island.

Well the same concept could apply to building a drydock.
Drydocks would be built to  scale, and would be massive.

You choose which ship to build (Big/small Military/Non military)
Then the parts for your ship will start arriving by road/rail and cargo ship.
This will add extra traffic to your port, making construction a tricky prospect. You have to devote resources to unloading these parts and bringing them to your drydock.
All these parts will also cost you money.

Only when you have successfully built the ship in drydock for your customer will you receive the money. (Great profit from great risk)

As a further bonus built ship will occasionally go through your harbour.
So imagine seeing the Aircraft Carrier, or Freedom ship that took you years to build amongst your cargo ships.
Alternatively for cargo ships, you could own the vessel instead of selling it, and use it to generate more port traffic and income.

02ian

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 13:14:08 »

this sounds like a fantastic concept, i would buy it!

you could also add in passenger terminals for ferries and cruise ships

this would give you passengers and cars and you would need to resupply both kinds of ships with food and duty free etc

with the cars you would need to provide parking, and loading ramps,
for passengers you would need to provide booking halls, waiting rooms and gang planks
not to mention toilets

you could also have special buildings/facilities, that would be awarded for completing certain goals, for example, a dock yard tour on a small boat (like the Blue Funnel service in Soton) or an education centure (could give you a better quality of emploies)

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 13:32:20 »

A brilliant idea of a game, and well done witht the description.  It's sounds very similar to my dream for the ultimate simulation, involving all the transport types you mentioned.  But ultimately I would want to control all of those myself aswell as just paying for them to do it themselves.  It just wouldn't be a simulator in my understanding of the word otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 18:52:09 by Captain Davies »

ikeja1961

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 15:34:48 »

Hi All,

This has taken some of the things I would like to do but expand them exponentially! I was thinking of having one vessel to start with and earn money/credits to be able to purchase other ships and transport cargoes all over the world. Not quite as grand as lobsangs vision.

Regards
Graham

lobsang

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 00:38:42 »

I think one concept that could separate this game from the glut of tycoon games would be the ability to drive vehicles in mini games, and the impact this would have on the rest of your dock.

At any point you will be able to train your staff for a certain activity.
If this is forklift unloading, then all your forklift drivers will stop work to attend.
YOU will then control a forklift, unload/load a container, and demonstrate how it should be done.
You would control vehicles in a semi overhead view, like the original Grand Theft Auto games

Other training exercises might involve driving trucks, using tugboats to move ships, connecting petrol hoses etc.
You wont be able to retrain them for another game year, so doing it properly is very important.

Go too hard and truck trailers may jack knife or roll, swing the crane to hard and the container will be swinging wildly.

Go too fast and put your truck into the petrol tank, and all sorts of disaster could result.
Go too slow and cautious and your drivers will be slow and inefficient.

So if you train them to drive like a maniac and crash into things, then that is what they are most likely to do in future. This will cost you in terms of inefficiency, and in the cleanup of any accidents they cause.

Conversely if you train your crane drivers how to unload a train efficiently and safely, then this is what they will do , you will benefit.

You could effectively teach your forklift drivers to topple over, which would be funny, but would end up costing you.

As for disasters as a whole, I think its important the trucks and trains can crash, explosions can happen, and ships can sink. So if you bank up all your trucks across the train tracks, the train will go straight through them, and you will have to clean up, and pay for, the mess. I always loved Transport Tycoon when a truck broke down at a level crossing and got destroyed by a train.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:37:38 by lobsang »

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 23:40:19 »

Look at fspassengers for flight sim, same kind of idea exept you load passangers, cargo and fuel and fly to destination to make money and manage your company that operates the aircraft. Its a great idea, loads of fun

http://www.fspassengers.com/
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines