Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 00:29:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Very disappointed with the 1.4.1 patch  (Read 6535 times)

Subwolf

• Forum member
Very disappointed with the 1.4.1 patch
« on: May 23, 2008, 22:53:01 »

Simply because in my opinion it made things worse. First of all the bow splash is supposed to be improved, but now I have to view the ship from a much closer distance before the splash appears, in the 1.4 version it was pretty nice and was there all the time.

The ocean may look a little more realistic, but it looks like this consumes a huge amount of resources. In the 1.4 version the ship's motion in the waves was smooth, now I got kind of a step by step motion. I don't see the need for this change to the water, as long as we got those synchronized white tops it will never look very realistic anyway.

In a sea environment I put the Vermaas at top speed on collision course with an AI fishing boat, it didn't stop, as I understand it should do after this patch. Instead it caused 7% damage to the Vermaas..

I haven't tested the other stuff but this is enough for me, I'm trashing this patch and I'll reinstall SS08 and New Horizon only. But by all means, I still love the game :)

wrekdiver

• Forum member
Re: Very disappointed with the 1.4.1 patch
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:47:06 »

Yep, I am reinstalling the game and ditching the new patch. No matter what I try it is just crap. It worked better with the previous version.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:11:34 »

I like it, it has improved lot of things in the game and it made it more realistic experience, seriously were are all these negative comments coming, people should be glad VSTEP has made these patches not be against them.These patches are designed to fix the game up, and each patch contains a group of items that improve the game to be as realistic as possible but bare in mind the more patches will come out the more aware players will need to be to get a good graphics card so the game will work perfect. Verramas getting 7% damage when hit a AI boat is quite realistic, because in the previous versions verramas got like 100% in one small hit, now thats unrealistic.Plus it even added a small movie at the begging of the game just before the star screen appears to.All these updates actually make the game realistic evryday.

Third Mate

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:04:22 »

AI  ships do stop they have done many times for me

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 21:03:48 »

Well the list isn't long

[ UPDATE 1.4.1 ]

[ Features ]
Improved Azimuth controls
Support for Ship Simulator 2008 New Horizons
Towing performance improved
Sorted ships alphabetically
Improved ocean bumpmaps
AI ships stop for the playership
Pushboat connection
Improved dynamics
Minor multiplayer interface improvements

[ Bug fixes ]
WakeEffects improved performance
WakeEffects loading fix
FloatingBox better update-rate, better behaviour static ships
Minor language file fixes
Mission "Leaving the new terminal" fixed
Bow splashes 'huge splash' fixed
Bow splashes effect jitter in large environments fixed

The improvements must be very small because I didn't notice any big changes in the game. It look the same at my system and I get big bow splashes as usual when I ride the Farmount in the Atlantic  :)

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 21:04:27 »

I dont like. 1.4.1 its comming hole time. Must exit. and the game is clicking :o

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 21:32:29 »

Well the list isn't long

The improvements must be very small because I didn't notice any big changes in the game. It look the same at my system and I get big bow splashes as usual when I ride the Farmount in the Atlantic  :)

So do I but only from a close distance, if I view the ship from a greater distance the splashes disappears and returns when I zoom in on the ship again. This was a huge turn off, but now I'm back to version 1.4 and everything is how I want it to be :)

Yeah I'm against Vstep ;D
Seriously, I'm saying that the patch made my game worse. I really don't expect patches to do that, but I'm not shooting at the developers, it may work better for others.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 21:42:40 by Subwolf »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 06:04:35 »

Technically the game still would need to be patched up as usual  because if you remember Ss06, it has

Weather (more realistic)

Bow wake foams (more realistic)

Smoke (More Realistic, mainly on the Titanic needs to be more dark)

When you are in the ocean the water splashing and the whole background noise needs to be louder or added, because obliviously when you are at sea you can hear all these noises and light splashes in the background(harbors to) and a few seagull flying around and nearby to.And i have noticed that when you are at the walk through mode as you approach the controls you can hear the radio to and as you move away the radio will soon fade away to, also we need some people standing also we need some people sitting down and a Capitan for every ship, it looks like the ships drive by themselves when you look from the outside, BTW dont forget about Titanic's water line being too dark to.Following that, you can hear you footsteps while walking around a ship, also i have noticed another thing, when a ship hits another it sounds more realistic as well.

But i will tell you fellow Ship Mates, if you would also like these updates to the game, you must have a good graphics card, what ever problems with every patch are related to your system, VSTEP has done nothing wrong.I believe that VSTEP has made this small patch because earlier on it was said that the more realism is increased the harder it will be to run SS08 if you do not have the right stuff inside your computer.And if there are this many problems well my friends, we need to gear up for the winter.

but the rest are fine, its just missing these  basic things for a full realistic experience now.

Just look at these videos.

http://www.gamesload.de/schiff_simulator_2006/ - Better bow wakes, weather, also you can see a pic of the Titanic with better water line (actually visible from the naked eye, and when the boat has crashed it also sounded more realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K31V-a4YQ8 - Ship Simulator 2006 mission 16 (Titanic), you can hear the water splashing in the background and Titanic has more particles in the smoke and looks more real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQrPHh-bfKU&feature=related - DJM's Ship Simulator 2006 Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84RfDQUPUvk&feature=related - Again we have a angle shot of Titanic's chimneys with all the beautiful smoke(of course keep the same amount of smoke coming out just make it darker and add more particles to it and hearing the player walking.

Ending with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc7NjjnroOo&feature=related - A Dream that would never come true, a nice ending.

You are doing a good job VSTEP, again there are lot of things that need shaping, fixing and patching up but we just have to have patience and good hardware, and no i am not against the patch either im just one man that just gave his opinion about this.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:27:57 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

shamano

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 16:22:14 »

This is my personal experience. I never had questviewer crashes before patch 1.4.1 installation. After installing it i experienced a lot of questviewer crashes with blank screen and forced quit. My hardware is the same than before, i tried to update nvidia graphics driver to last version, but nothing has changed. So i reverted to version 1.4 and everything is working again. I heard in MP many people have the same problem, i'm not the only one.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:26:32 »

I wonder if this, and many other problems in the past are to do with VSTEP having to do coding for Vista?DirectX10 AND XP/DirectX9. It might explain a lot. I have very few problems but I have a good PC but have resisted changing to Vista (and if I upgrade or buy another new one I will ask for XP.
Haven't tried the new patch though (now withdrawn I think) but I do have (and generally like) the New Horizon addon.
Happy floating around to everyone (and try Marmite on toast)
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 13:12:58 »

Just to let you know that Vstep have now withdrawn the V1.4.1 update.

"Due to some technical issues involving the v1.4.1 patch all links to this patch have been removed. Please check our forum for additional information regarding this matter"

I would like thank TJK for his hard work in working with me to try to find a workaround for the problems. Unfortunately to no avail.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 13:44:40 »

so what do we do if we allready have the 1.4.1 patch

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 13:45:21 »

and what dose "Due to some technical issues" mean

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 13:46:48 »

This post will point you in the right direction ;)

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,7777.msg86872.html#msg86872

* Please Note: To access this area, you will need to register your licence key into your forum profile.  If you're not sure how to do this, please check the General FAQ's or PM a Moderator.

Regards.

Carl/DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

TJK

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 13:46:54 »

and what dose "Due to some technical issues" mean
read this from pjotr
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,7774.msg86880.html#new

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 19:02:31 »

VSTEP has done nothing wrong.

Yes they have ;D

And hopefully they will fix the bow splashes, otherwise I'll stick with 1.4 and NH only.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 19:13:05 »

i never notest any problems with the 1.4.1

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 19:54:41 »

And hopefully they will fix the bow splashes, otherwise I'll stick with 1.4 and NH only.

1.4 IS New Horizons.

The now-withdrawn V1.4.1 was different, hence the different version number. (Just in case it wasn't clear to you, NH is in effect V1.4.0)

NathanC

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 20:04:27 »

Why have VSTEP taken the 1.4.1 patch away? Because all these jerks were being rude and ungrateful?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 20:10:51 »

Why have VSTEP taken the 1.4.1 patch away? Because all these jerks were being rude and ungrateful?

Far from it Nathan, check the FAQ's and Announcements board ;)

I posted in another topic about us all having different opinions, and having a right to complain if we feel the need to.  Criticising other members because they have an opinion, isn't a good idea.

Regards.

DJM/Carl.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 20:15:26 »

They can trash it as far as I'm concerned, and that's what they did.

So I reinstalled NH and repatched the game to 1.4, now maybe TerryRussell understands what I'm trying to say for change. I'm still wondering where to turn around the Ocean Star in Southampton though, guess I'll never know since that topic was closed ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 20:24:41 »

I'm still wondering where to turn around the Ocean Star in Southampton though, guess I'll never know since that topic was closed ;D

Post your question in a relevant topic, one that's relating to depth of environments ;)

That's why we suggest using Search, before opening a new topic ;D

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 20:38:44 »

Post your question in a relevant topic, one that's relating to depth of environments ;)

That's why we suggest using Search, before opening a new topic ;D

Actually I did search, but didn't find anything about that. So in my opinion there is no reason to close that topic, but you did it to save TerryRussell's neck, because he annoyed me. Maybe he shouldn't do that again.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 21:28:25 by Subwolf »

NathanC

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 20:44:38 »

I'm just sick of reading through lots of annoying messages where people have a go at VSTEP - and i seriously can't stand people endlessly throwing negative comments at people who spent lots of time developing a game for there enjoyment. 4 or 5 topics of "the 1.4.1 patch is dreadful" and 2 topics with a list of fault in a SS2008 game. There have been several times where i have thought about abondoning this forum, and finding another friendlier one where some of the members don't continuosly nag the hard working people who made the game.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 20:45:04 »

Actually I did search, but didn't find anything about that. So in my opinion there is no reason to close that topic, but you did it to save TerryRussell's neck, because he annoyed me for no reason. Maybe he shouldn't do that again.

Edited for language, DJM.

I was doing my job as a Moderator.  No member is ever treated differently by a Moderator, and we don't close topics to 'save a members neck'.  My reason for closing the topic:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4807.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4418.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3490.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4293.0.html
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,6140.0.html

Not all to do with Southampton, but need I go on.......took me a couple of minutes to find those, not too difficult ;)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines