Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 09:35:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is not the kind of software I love  (Read 3921 times)

croco

• Forum member
This is not the kind of software I love
« on: May 16, 2008, 18:38:45 »

Sorry, but I'm not very amazed: Just bought the SS2006 to play with my son, but it does not start up. Just shows a grey square from a "QuestViewer" and stops. Read the FAQ: Probably hardware issue. But why? With a Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, Geforce 7xxxx Mobile, XP SP2 a dozen games or more from that time and before (e.g. Settler4, Rail Tycoon 3) run perfectly. It's also a business notebook with a clean installation and I don't accept to fiddle with new drivers just to satisfy the needs of a touchy software.

Best regards!

Christof

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: This is not the kind of software I love
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 19:05:52 »

Hello Christof

I'm not an expert to be honest, but there are lots of people using 2006 (or were before 2008) and there doesn't seem to be much wrong with the software- trust me, I was running it on something belonging in a museum.

Best bet is to ask in technical support as they won't give you any info unless you ask in there. To access tech support, you will need to enter your product reference in your profile, if you haven't already.

There are a couple of pc nutters here who are experts in anything computery- I'm sure one of them will sort you out (you know who I'm talking about...)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 20:17:44 »

Who's that, then?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 20:38:02 »

Who's that, then?
I can't say- wouldn't want to embaress you them.  ;D

All I can say by way of a clue Christof, is just wave a pot of Marmite and see who comes running.

Ha! Maybe that's the problem- your computer is suffering Marmite deficiency
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 22:01:13 »

I suspect that the problem is that Christof is trying to use a notebook. Many of them have very non-standard graphics devices.

Could be wrong. We'll see when he posts his DXdiag in Tech Support. May be something very straightforward (I live in hope)  ;D

Who mentioned the nectar of the goods? (Marmite).

Well, my Ma might. I don't know about yours.

Ship Sim

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 05:10:35 »

Yep just by the name of the graphic card I know that it is a lap top. I belive that most games don`t support note book models of desktop cards. ;) You appear to be right on the border line of It works and it dosent work. The processer and your ram are right at the minimum.

Here are the minimum requirements.
Windows 2000, XP or Vista
Pentium 4 2.0GHz or AMD equivalent
1GB
NVIDIA GeForce 5600 or ATI Radeon X600
Sound card
Mouse with scroll wheel
Joystick, Joypad or Steering wheel
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 05:14:06 by Ship Sim »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:05:53 »

I had 06 running with a LOT lower than 1gb ram... something like 170mb!

I broke a memory module and had to use an old one- and as my graphics card nicks main system ram, it left it with 170mb... to run xp AND ss06.

Believe me- it can be done, even if it isn't guaranteed/ supported.

And it's only a P4 (yeuch) 2.4 (I MUST make sure the next laptop is a PROPER one with a decent AMD processor)

croco

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 14:48:53 »

Hello alltogether!

Thank you very much for your vital response. In the meantime, I found the source of the problem by accident and it was as simple as it could be: From playing Settler4 my screen configuration was on 16 bit color depth. I changed it to 32 Bit and now it runs perfectly. Then why my anger? I didn't want to throw with Marmite to anybody than to the person responsible in the development chain for that game not tu run on a modern very standard XP PC. In this case it's perhaps more the programmer of settler4  ;D >:( >:( and my person myself  :'( :( :( and perhaps a little bit the sound of the technical FAQ, which describes SS2006 to be very touchy with sound and graphics devices, which disencouraged me to look further for a solution.

Best thanks for your (indirect) help!

Christof

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 15:06:08 »

Glad you got it sorted. Well done.

I do wonder myself why software developers are so against onboard sound/ graphics systems myself. In most cases they use the same components as their bigger brothers anyway.

I've never encountered too many problems from onboard cards.

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 15:06:35 »

Hi Christof.

Glad that you've got it all running.

If you have any problems, make sure that you post them in the Technical Support thread, and then we will can find them more easily.

Enjoy the game!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines