Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 22:47:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many texture maps can a ship model contain?  (Read 6513 times)

JHB

• Forum member
How many texture maps can a ship model contain?
« on: April 28, 2007, 20:05:21 »

I know that you can have plenty of resolutions on textures (example 256x256, 512x512…1024x1024 pixels).

So my question is how many of these you can have on a ship model used in Ship Simulator?
It’s important for me to know this, since I want to know the limitations of the game engine.
I have already started with textures for the Virtual Sailor version of the Emma Maeersk, and I have attached one of the panel textures that got a high resolution so you can at least read the text on the buttons and the sub-panels.

JHB

• Forum member
Re: How many texture maps can a ship model contain?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 19:14:03 »

I hope some from the developer team can answer this soon. I dont want to spend a lot of time on texture files and see a lot of work end up in nothing... 8)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 21:13:20 »

Greetings,JHB
I hope the same,because it's no point to spent so much time on sometinng you dont know if you can use it 100%.
Regards
Marc
N

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:02:51 »

The developers only work during the week. Today is a public holiday, your first post was on a saturday.
Wout

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:40:32 »

I guess there isn't anyone that can answer this...
Well, I may have to find it out myself then when the SDK comes out and face that technical questions around developing add-ons for ShipSim is something I can forget to write on this forum...

Crazy... ::)

jasper

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 08:00:47 »

sorry for the late reply we are working hard on getting the next version of the shipsim done so sorry for not responding. here is some information about textures.

each ship has its own set of textures.
first rull that you should know is that 4 textures of 512*512 are less memory than a 1024*1024 so lets say you can use 1large texture for the hull that is 1024*1024 but do you realy need so mutch space??? cause you can do the same whit a 512*512 texture...

why do i say this the screen resolution is lets say 1280*1024 so using a texture that is almost the same size is a bid useless. cause it will never be rendered at the same resolution... so use texture of the size of 512*512

u can use more than 1 texture but the problem is that the more textures you use the more load it will give on the system so i never use more than 4 textures of a size of 512*512 and for control panels i use also 4 textures of a size of 256.256 and some times a texture of  512*512

the light maps for the ship are depended on the detail of the model... if there are large objects on the deck that have lots of small polygons than ill make a more detailed Lightmap for that object... The deck and wall of the bridge most of the times are combined in 1 Lightmap!

i hope that i have you informed enough for now...

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 23:57:41 »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I'm sure what I'm doing...
------------------------

Which one above do you prefer?

Well, that explains the blurry textures then that I see on the boats in this game.
I also see that several textures repeat themselves several times over the whole boat and some don't have light map applied and it's the ambient/diffuse color that makes the difference in lighting.

While this may look like a way that I'm stating facts I'm actually trying to discuss concepts of texturing techniques (hoverer how advanced that may sound for a noob). I'm discussing this to learn and not to teach og give lessons.

Virtual Sailor is what I call a great game engine. It can handle huge textures and many of them. But of course it depends on the system the user have. I see that performance is a main key for Ship Simulator. So while I'm focusing on making detailed textures for my boats in Virtual Sailor I'm afraid that the same boats would cause a greater loading time for this game especially for those that have not the most powerful hardware installed in their computers. So I'm still afraid that I have to wait to see how the technology and this game will become in the next years especially when it comes to large ships where the detail level is high and where the variation in the texture is also high.

Commenting the answer above I'm afraid that 4 textures of 512x512 for one major VLCC where the color variation and the surface variation (rust, dirt, several types of painted surfaces, wall textures, instrument textures etc.) would become a lot more greater than 4 textures. But 4 major 2048x2048 pixel textures can of course take a lot of it. They decrease the loading time but increase the use of memory (after what I have been reading on GameDev.net)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:20:24 by JHB »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines