Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 12:43:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DDS-files  (Read 4667 times)

JHB

• Forum member
DDS-files
« on: April 01, 2008, 16:29:31 »

I see that the textures have to bee in DDS. Can this game engine use other texture types (like JPG, PNG and BMP) or can VSTEP convert these into DDS?

3ds Max 8 don't make the DDS files for me anymore. It simply makes a corrupted file... :'(

JHB

• Forum member
Re: DDS-files
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 23:39:40 »

Can someone please answer this? What's the purpose of a Developer Corner when those who try to make their own ship models for this game NEVER get answer on technical questions related to the game engine...???

I'm getting sick of this! I have to ask other people that already have their boats added to the game to get details.  >:(

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 00:11:11 »

Relax there JHB!

Think about your blood pressure.  :)

I don't really know though, to be honest. That's maybe why you didn't get an answer yet, people might not know the answer. I don't know if the game engine use other file types.

But, and I am just guessing cause I am no expert, can't you just convert JPG's and such into DDS yourself aswell? So work with something else, and convert them at the end, perhaps? Or doesn't it work like that?   ???  :)

Regards,
Fred

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:12:14 »

Hello,
My knowledge of textures is quite basic, so ...  ::)
Well, it seems that Quest3D can manage various types indeed, and as there are some well known freeware that can make the conversion, like Irfanview, there shouldn't be any problem?
A plugin for 3dsmax8 seems to be "Dds converter 2" and would be working with XP (not Vista).
There is an interesting FAQ with some comments about why dds is more interesting than other formats.
 ???
Regards,
Luc
PS: Autodesk support for 3ds max could also help, if SP3 is already included?
And Nvidia tools
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:25:48 by LucAtC »

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 01:59:25 »

Think about your blood pressure.  :)

:D :D :D Yeah with a weight less than 60 kg I think about it ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines