Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 03:07:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugsier Tutorial  (Read 9736 times)

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
Re: Bugsier Tutorial
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 17:17:42 »

I don't have a manual with New Horizons either. Only V1.1 which came with the original disc.....

Where else can you find it Traddles as it didn't come with the download???

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 17:22:09 »

I'm sorry folks if I have made a boo boo here. I am now not sure about what I said. The version of NH I have is a testers one so perhaps the manual is not included in the download version. If not, I am a little surprised. However the picture shows where it is on my machine.

Angus.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 17:35:35 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 17:52:17 »

Cheers anyway Traddles,

I would have thought it would be here http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4509.msg45292.html#msg45292 by now, but there may not be too much difference between that and the V.1 manual, maybe thats why it's not been put up there.

Is there anything specific in the NH manual regarding the B2 and controls etc?

[img width=585 height=150http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9431/panddax5.png]

NathanC

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 18:04:55 »

I find the Bugsier controls easy. Just use your keyboard arrows or put the power up to 100% and turn with the keyboard arrows. Although i understand if people want to do it the "proper" way

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 18:05:44 »

I find using the numpad keys very nice indeed :)

I find it easier :)

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 18:17:56 »

maybe I'll use the kettle or the microwave in that case to control the steering and engines ;)

Yes it's very easy with the keyboard but not very realistic is it?
Players should have a choice of what they use to control the vessels that suits them best.

I like the realism aspect of SS and whatever I can do to make it more realistic the better, thats why I built my own controller as it's easier for me to use as I have worked on ships and have used these controls in real life, the keyboard to me to control a ship is an alien experience but it just seems that the way the controls (especially for the B2) have been written into the game are for keyboard user's which I would imagine are the majority of user's.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 18:57:29 »

The version  of New Horizons I have is, I think, the same as the boxed version from Lighthouse. Perhaps that is the difference.
pigdog,
There are instructions on how to control "Ocean Star", "Bugsier 2", connecting the "Herkules Atlas" to various barges and how to access the engine room of that vessel. I sincerely hope I have not dissapointed many folks. If I have please accept my apologies.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 19:33:59 »

No problem Traddles,

Any information is good information,

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 19:41:20 »

Here is the text of the manual, so without images, I don't see how to incorporate them too easily.
Nonetheless, it gives an idea.
General
The New Horizons add-on contains eight new vessels, of which two have a different way of controlling the engines and steering. The cruise ship and the modern tug are equipped with azimuth thrusters and rotating propellers. The propeller rotation replaces the need for conventional rudder blades behind fixed propellers. How to steer these vessels is explained in the following sections.
Another new vessel is the pushboat, which can be connected to four different barge combinations.
To connect the pushboat to a barge, a new icon was created under the Moorage icon, Barge. How to use this icon is explained in section 3. You can visit the engine room of the pushboat, as shown in image 4.
Controlling the cruise ship
Starting a free-roaming session with the cruise ship "Ocean Star" in the new Padstow environment will look like image 1.

Controlling the cruise ship with azimuth thrusters. Moving the cursor over the thruster control brings up several circles. The green circle is used for setting the forward thrust, the red circle for the reverse thrust, and the blue inner circle is used for setting the thruster rotation. You set the forward thrust by click-dragging the cursor up and down in the green circle. Similarly, you set the reverse thrust by click-dragging the cursor in the red circle. Lastly, you set the direction of the azimuth thruster by click-dragging the mouse left and right in the blue circle. This is best done in the bottom half of the blue circle.
To facilitate the steering, an adapted arcade mode was created for cursor steering. Cursor left will turn both thrusters 45 degrees left. Cursor up will (like always) set the engine at full thrust. So a combination of cursor left plus cursor up will set both engines full forward, rotated 45 degrees left, which will make the vessel turn right, since the thrusters are located at the back of the vessel. The simplified arcade steering mode conflicts with joystick steering. For joystick steering, an extra option was created, "Azimuth Arcade steering override".
Many more experienced players will prefer to use keyboard steering using the Precision steering setting under Settings - Controls. With this option, you can set the thruster power and rotation more precisely, and keep it in position after releasing the cursor keys. As always, you can map different keys for the port- and starboard engine, for maximum maneuvering control.
Controlling the modern harbour tug
The modern harbour tug "Bugsier 2" is also equipped with azimuth thrusters. These are controlled in a similar way to the cruise ship, with two important differences.
1. The azimuth thrusters of the tug cannot be set in reverse position. Instead, you have to rotate the thrusters around to reverse.
2. The thrusters are located at the front of the vessel, instead of at the back. Rotating them 45 degrees left will therefore make the vessel rotate left (port) instead of right, like the cruise ship. This is something you need to get used to.
Image 2. Bugsier 2 in Padstow. This thruster cannot be set in the reverse position. Instead, to reverse, you
need to rotate the thruster 180 degrees, by dragging the mouse left/right in the blue circle.
As with the cruise ship, the simplified arcade steering mode conflicts with joystick steering.
For joystick steering, tick the new option under Options - Controls, "Azimuth Arcade steering override".
Connecting barges to the pushboat
To connect the pushboat "Herkules Atlas" to a barge, a new icon was created under the Moorage icon, Barge. Starting a free-roaming session with the pushboat will show the vessel with one barge (image 3).
Image 3. To connect or disconnect a barge from the pushboat, click on the Moorage icon, then on Barge. Like with towing lines, clicking on the red cross will disconnect the barge. Clicking on a blue circle on the pushboat, and then on a blue circle on the barge, will create a connection between the two.
Visiting the pushboat's engine room
The pushboat is the only vessel in which you can visit the engine room. You can do this in walkthrough mode. Walk down the stairs to the lower deck. On the starboard side, you can enter the door to the engine room by clicking on it. When you come close to the right door, an icon will show up with a down arrow (image 4).
Image 4a. Engine room door of the pushboat. Click on the door to go into the engine room.
Image 4b.Inside the engine room. Image 4c. To go back up, click on the hatch in the corner, which shows the up arrow when you get close.
Play Ship Simulator 2008 across three screens Matrox TripleHead2Go provides a panoramic view by expanding the Ship Simulator 2008 game across three displays. This extended view fully engages your peripheral vision on the side displays with the main point of focus on the center display-experience totally immersive gaming like never before.
For more information:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/home/
Luc

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 19:29:52 »

Thanks for that info LucAtC,

I pretty much sussed all that out by trial and error over the past week or so I think.

I guess I was right then if you connected a set of azimuth control handles to your computer they would not work as they do in real life, you would not be able to control the B2 with controls that were designed for controlling pods hmmmm.

Oh well it's the keyboard or nothing then I guess.

Cheers

Pigdog   

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 20:16:27 »

Well, it wasn't that hard, you know. And I am sorry that your controls/joysticks don't work like you wish.
Perhaps could you have a look at a freeware named "Joytokey", which could solve your problem, at the condition that your controls are joystick like.
It works well, although I don't know how he could marry with ShipSim2008. (I only tried it with 18Wheels Haulin, Orbiter and ShipSim2006). Have a look it, though...
Regards,
Luc

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 21:33:29 »

Thanks Luc I'll check that out.

Cheers

CAPFlyer

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 05:30:33 »

I notice that there's mention of a "Azimuth Steering Override" checkbox in that manual suppliment.  I tried that, and I must say that I'm quite disappointed in its operation.  The real controllers have no link between direction and throttle and yet with the Azimuth Steering override, whenever I turn the rudder controls on my setup the throttle automatically increases.  As such, I'm unable to control my movements with any precision.

Maybe VSTEP should just impliment the controls the same way they did the Voith controls on the Red Eagle.  It works well and does what it should on the Bugsier 2 - "rudder" points the controller and "throttle" commands the throttle.  The operation of Azipods is very simple and straightforward, I don't understand why VSTEP thinks it has to be complex like the way they've programmed it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:49:02 by CAPFlyer »

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 08:15:52 »

I agree capflyer, I built my controls with the B2 and similar propulsion units and water jets in mind so that they can control twin engine, twin rudder vessels as well as single engine and rudder vessels with a more conventional setup, it does look like the controls are over complicated for what they need to do and a simpler system such as how the voith works would be much better and easier to control.

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 19:40:44 »

I posted this in the other thread as well, but this diagram shows how I'd like to be able to set up my controller for the Bugsier. :)

pigdog

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 23:40:43 »

yes thats right thats how it should be Jayshum, I don't understand why they have tried to incorperate a joystick type control into the main controls, to do that you should have a seperate control stick that would operate all engines and all steering pods and thrusters.

I really hope it gets sorted.

pigdog

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines