Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 00:37:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Horizons Release Date changed again!!  (Read 3680 times)

txxop999

• Forum member
New Horizons Release Date changed again!!
« on: March 28, 2008, 00:37:57 »

I've just logged on to play.com and they've now changed the release date for the add on to the 4th April.  Last time I checked just a few days ago the release date was tomorrow (28th March).

I don't understand, why are they doing this to us?  They keep moving the release date which is beginning to really annoy me.  First I checked it was the 23/3, then it was the 28/3, now it's the 4/4.  What's next then VSTEP, Xmas 2008?? 

I wish they'd just release it and stop giving us all false hopes.  What on earth are they playing at!!!  >:(

Dave M

• Global Moderator
Re: New Horizons Release Date changed again!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 00:43:21 »

It is available for download now!! at ' http://shipsim.com/products/ship+simulator+2008+addon.php ' and has been since 25th March. It's great!! :)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:38:05 »

I wish they'd just release it and stop giving us all false hopes.  What on earth are they playing at!!!  >:(

There are just as many posts complaining about not being given false hopes.

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:09:00 »

Txxop999,
Apparently you cannot read or comprehend the many posts explaining that VSTEP does not control the release dates of the DVDs from the publishers. VSTEP released the gold masters to the publishers in early March. After that it was up to the publishers to make the product and get it into the hands of the various distributors. It was up to the distributors such as play.com to order the product from the publisher. The so-called release date from play.com is not the date that VSTEP releases the sim; it is the date when a particular source will be able to fill orders.
Marty

jamino

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 18:41:39 »

Iv jus been emailed its availiable today!

Jackobaker53

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 19:35:37 »

download version sounds better, but i've never done downloadable verisons before, whats the difference between download and disk, is there less stuff included on download seen though its cheaper???
Gypsies call themselves travellers,but most of their caravans dont have wheels

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 19:39:42 »

With box there are costs such as production, transport, postage stamps.. ;)

Jackobaker53

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 19:49:19 »

ahh right, but everything included in the box version is in the download version, like the ships and missions?

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 19:50:35 »

I should think so, Jacko..
I am one who eagerly waits for the boxed version.. ;)

Jackobaker53

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 20:00:33 »

lol im thinkin about download cos ive been in london for 2 days shoppin and stuff and we are all exhausted and my parents really don't want to go to the shops again  ;D

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 20:11:14 »

Purchasing the download direct from VStep probably gives them about 3x the profit of a boxed game bought at retail. More money for VStep= more Ship Sim development. Although in my opinion it should have been a bit cheaper to buy than the boxed version as there is no packaging, transportation costs etc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 20:13:40 by sonarman »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 20:22:52 »

Purchasing the download direct from VStep probably gives them about 3x the profit of a boxed game bought at retail. More money for VStep= more Ship Sim development. Although in my opinion it should have been a bit cheaper to buy than the boxed version as there is no packaging, transportation costs etc.

Well at only £17 I'm not complaining... ;D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Jackobaker53

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 20:34:24 »

i might download it in a few days, i've been spendin wayyy too much money this week says my parents, and i owe them a bit of money :D

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 22:30:42 »

Purchasing the download direct from VStep probably gives them about 3x the profit of a boxed game bought at retail. More money for VStep= more Ship Sim development.
Although in my opinion it should have been a bit cheaper to buy than the boxed version as there is no packaging, transportation costs etc.
I agree with your first comment!! :)
Your second comment though is maybe not thought out from the publishers point of view. I think that there are probably contractual reasons why VStep have to charge what they do for a download, lets face it, if you could download NH for £4.00 less than you could by it in the shops then the publishers would be on a loser.
Regards, Dave

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 14:11:28 »

Yes, I think that's right they are in effect probably tied to the publisher and consequently responsible for setting the retail price, certainally for the boxed version at least. But I don't like paying more for less, whilst I'd like to give more profit to VStep I'd always choose a boxed version of the game over a download especially when it works out £3 cheaper!

BrianG

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 16:26:41 »

download version sounds better, but i've never done downloadable verisons before, whats the difference between download and disk, is there less stuff included on download seen though its cheaper???

1. Downloadable version  is often more up to date particularly as regards bug fixes. It takes time to get the boxed version to the customer and you may be buying old stock.
2. Downloading is not practical for large programs such as ShipSim if you have a dial-up connection. You need Broadband.
3. Manuals are slow and costly to print but you can print them A4 size making them easier to read. You can read them on the screen instead of printing them just printing out pages you will use often such as the control keys. Again the online edition of the manual may be a later edition.
I only see so far because I stand on the shoulders of giants - Isaac Newton

Jackobaker53

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 01:01:12 »

so i should buy the download version  :D. also i know this is off topic, but are there any multiplyer NH servers? i havent got it yet but i didnt see any on the server screen

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 01:21:18 »

Another plus for the download version is that, (at least in my version), it doesn't have the 'LightHouse' video at startup, it just takes you directly into the start menu. (Ssh, don't tell 'LightHouse'). ::)

jamino

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 15:09:06 »

thats good enough reason on its own! :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines