Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 16:45:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harbor Waves?  (Read 4911 times)

llamalord

• Forum member
Harbor Waves?
« on: March 26, 2008, 16:15:27 »

I am a rather active mission creator and I have obviously seen and heard that in ports you can have <?No?> waves.

But I have also heard somewhere that it's not No waves but just little tiny ones. ???

Could some one tell me what the truth is. :-\
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Harbor Waves?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 16:27:51 »

If there are any, extremely small. But they get a bit bigger if put the wind speed slider up ;)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 16:32:33 »

Not sure on this one but I think if you increase the windspeed all you see is the top of the water get more 'white'.

I think we should get slightly bigger waves in harbours, nothing too big, just a tad larger :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 17:14:50 »

Yaaa, I don't know about you guys in Rotterdam and hamburg but, here in New England we don't get the effect...

That The Waves Go Away Every Time A Ship Enters Port!

;D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:35:07 »

It is a fact, though, that swell height is often reduced considerably when in a large harbor/port. Due to surrounding structures, harbor/port depth, piers, and other physical obstacles, wave length and height is often reduced. Of course, the wider the mouth of the harbor/marina/port and the less deep it is, and the more ocean facing exposure, the greater the waves will remain similar to the ocean swells outside.

In ports such as hamburg and rotterdam, where there is a long, and often more calm, water way feeding the harbor, the water is noticable calmer than open sea. Even ports like San Francisco, of which I am from, you can notice large wave behavior changes as soon as you leave the mouth of the bay, just west of the Golden Gate bridge. Again, a lot of this has to do with the geography of the area . . .

And as evidence your statement is true, look at Dover for example, the water would be considerablly too rough if it were not for the barriers at the outer edge of the harbor, however, Dover Harbor is not very deep in terms of distance from entrance of the harbor to the furthest point. I could go on and on regarding this, but I will stop.

However, for the water being calmer in harbors, blame me. :p
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines