Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 03:46:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Servers down again ?  (Read 1858 times)

Staggles

• Forum member
Servers down again ?
« on: March 20, 2008, 16:22:48 »

Hi all

Is it me or have the servers gone down again ?

In Multiplayer once again I get no server list .. anyone know why .. is it "Beyond our control again ?"

For my first week of playing  I can say its not impressive. Is this the norm ?

I will say .. Luv the gfx .. But I do think the choice of ships a bit poor on some of the servers. Is it not possible to give a greater choice and also would it not be possible to add missions to Multiplayer (optional of course) and finally . Is it not possible to have Portals to connect the various server together so that it would be possible to sail from port to port, including travelling the oceans that connect them ?

I do think there is great potential for development with in this game . :D

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Servers down again ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 16:24:28 »

The servers are a bit unpredictable sometimes. I think they have got more stable though, compared to when MP was first released. ;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 16:36:44 »

As everyone could have read in tons of threads by now, MP is still under development.  ;D

We should all be glad that VSTEP gave us the servers to play around on while they are at work creating bigger and better things for it, as most developers don't offer servers at all, they just give players the means to create them, which is the next step that will be along very soon.

There is allready a possibility to go from server to server, as if you sail from port to port but you have to pick a ship that is on both the source and target server. If you sail to an exit point then you can effectively shift to another one. Well, that's what I hvave been told, I can't say that I personally tried it. As that's not really what I look for in MP, I use missions to do that, they are less "lonely", as in MP this means sailing away from everyone into an empty piece of the environment.  ;D

And there will be more things to be done in MP in the future too. Just wait and see.  ;)
Good things will come..

Regards,
Fred

Staggles

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 18:04:50 »

Hi again

It's great to hear of the developments planned .. Sounds great and i cant wait :D

However .. you say you can sail from port to port .. but only if the ship you choose is on the other server.

Thats where it falls down.. This is the reason I asked for a larger selection of vessels to be available ;)

I agree.. It is great that V-Step give us the servers in the first place to use , but human nature being what it is .. We all want more :D Really though hats off to V-Step for looking after their customers so well and this point gives them a leading edge.. They care, they listen , they give and not just take! Three Cheers for a leader in the gaming community!!!

As for the server problem .. I have solved it .. I set my firewall to "Allow" from "Custom" .. all servers reappeared as if by magic :D

I also do not get too much pleasure from missions , but im sure there are many who do. So I was not thinking of myself on that point.

As I said ... I see great Potential from this game. (I would still like to be able to choose from the ships I like and sail from one port to another :D )

Many thanks for a rapid reply .. again a first .. on other forums you may have to wait days .

NathanC

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 18:33:30 »

Im sorry, but if the servers are down, the servers are down..

Your method cannot make them re-appear if they are not running. :)

So even though you have experienced a problem which seemed to be solved with that method, it has nothing to do with the actual servers being down. It might be something with your internet security instead.

But if they are down on VSTEP's side, no ammount of profile deleting and re-register can get them back up from your end.

There's a difference between the servers being down, or being unreachable for you... Just adding this to prevent people going about deleting things when it's not needed.  ;)

Regards,
Fred

Sorry Fred, i have removed my message 

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 18:48:06 »

No worries,

I'm sure it worked for you with a specific problem.. but I just wanted to put it into perspective...

I didn't mean you had to remove it, but as you did, I removed mine too, to avoid confusion.

Cheers

Regards,
Fred

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 18:55:18 »

Hi Staggles,

My pleasure!

Glad you got your problem fixed!!

As for the limited choice of ships per server.. Well, there are certain limitations to be thought of.

Too many ships of certain kinds on a single server can make things slow down a lot. I'm no expert but I suspect poly counts and all that technical mumbo jumbo come into play here..   ;D

So the vessel collection per server has to be a bit of a trade off, unfortunatly. But they do rotate from time to time. And once the server software is released, there will be a lot more servers and a lot more choices, I would suspect. :)

And I know all about the human nature aspect.. hehe  ;)

Regards,
Fred

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines