Hello Guest April 24, 2024, 09:49:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator 2008 in the US!!!  (Read 6149 times)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Ship Simulator 2008 in the US!!!
« on: March 16, 2008, 21:12:53 »

It isn't even on the stores website today but I went to get silent hunter 3 (they didn't have it  >:() and while I was looking saw Ship Simulator 2008 on the bottom shelf! They only had about 4 left. The image was the POR going under the golden gate bridge on a nice sunny day. Is it officially out or did the store get it somewhere else? They only have 2006 listed on there website but I didn't see it there.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
Re: Ship Simulator 2008 in the US!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 21:55:05 »

I looked up the Amazon US site, the one which you saw in a shop had a hovercraft on the cover artwork as well, plus it has "multiplayer" written on it, so I presume it's the latest version of SS2008 (which includes the V1.3 patch).

I hope the Mods don't mind this, but I've included the European and US cover version of SS2008 for comparsion purposes.

Kev
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 21:58:34 »

No not at all,
I see that the company's name is also not on the cover of that US-version?
I think there should be also Vstep on it?
Strange,because Vstep is the company were it's realy made.
Is this normal?
Marc
N

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 22:05:28 »

Hi Marc,

You can just make out the VSTEP logo on the side. It's not very obvious, but it is there.
At the bottom, in the orange bit. And it's on the back too, I'm sure.

It's not uncommon to have publisher names on the cover/box more prominently than a developer's name.
Not the way I would like to see it, as the devs put in all the hard work, but there you have it....

Regards,
Fred

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 22:06:46 »

Yep thats the box. :D

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 00:21:43 »

Glad to be of help, good to know SS2008 is finally in the US!  ;D

Kev
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:32:11 »

Yeah, would have bought it, but I already have it..  ::)

mycah259

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 03:53:35 »

Man I really want this! Too bad I can't find it. :(

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 14:42:04 »

But is it V1.4?  The European cover said CD-Rom, but the GM is about 800 Mb.
It's no big deal to finally get an outdated version.
Marty

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 15:53:33 »

Hi Marty,

I suspect it's V1.3 as that introduced MP

Seing how 1.4 isnt here yet, it's probably not lying around in the stores over there. If anything 1.4 would arrive over there much later, not sooner.  :)

So I reckon it's SS08 V1.3.
Which would not be outdated, but up to date atm. If only for a short while. For players that do not have the game yet, that would be the one to have. For those that allready have it, it's of course useless as any patch can be grabbed off the website for free anyway.

Regards,
Fred

nhseacaptain

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 01:50:53 »

I picked mine up on line through Gamers Gate.  If you can live without the CD, which I have become accostomed to living without, its a good source.  http://www.gamersgate.com/ Purchase, download and install were a breeze.

Kevin
Captain Kevin Harbison
U.S. Merchant Marine
New Hampshire, USA

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 03:44:49 »

I picked mine up on line through Gamers Gate.  If you can live without the CD, which I have become accostomed to living without, its a good source.  http://www.gamersgate.com/ Purchase, download and install were a breeze.

Kevin
Why not buy it from VSTEP then. >.<

nhseacaptain

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:37:52 »

Austin,

Pretty much the economics of the purchase.  VSTEP charges 39-Euro for the sim at an exchange rate of $1.6-US to 1-Euro the game would cost me $64-US from VSTEP. I was able to get the sim from gamersgate for $29-US.  A pretty substantial savings.   

Kevin
Captain Kevin Harbison
U.S. Merchant Marine
New Hampshire, USA

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 20:31:02 »

Austin,

Pretty much the economics of the purchase.  VSTEP charges 39-Euro for the sim at an exchange rate of $1.6-US to 1-Euro the game would cost me $64-US from VSTEP. I was able to get the sim from gamersgate for $29-US.  A pretty substantial savings.   

Kevin
I have lots of money, I guess that $64 didn't seem that bad for something I had to have. :p

nhseacaptain

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 20:39:22 »

LOL,

Agreed, but the 30$ savings made it easier to convince the REAL boss that I too needed the sim.  :-\

Kevin
Captain Kevin Harbison
U.S. Merchant Marine
New Hampshire, USA

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 20:47:51 »

LOL,

Agreed, but the 30$ savings made it easier to convince the REAL boss that I too needed the sim.  :-\

Kevin
Heh, I understand. :p I should do a live stream of shipsim once I get it installed again since my comp blue screened me and corrupted it on my PC. :D

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 23:21:55 »

YIPEEEEEEEEEE!!! FINALLY!

I'm so happy right now! Where can I get it?

Ship Sim

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 03:25:52 »

Heh, I understand. :p I should do a live stream of shipsim once I get it installed again since my comp blue screened me and corrupted it on my PC. :D

Aaaaah the blue screen of death. ive had it to times with Silent hunter III. >:( It is a pain in the back side. ::)

Admiral-of-the-fleet

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 21:58:23 »

Talkin of the Vstep logo... i think the reason it is not visible is the same very clever reason they used the same font for the title as Microsoft FS.  Piggyback marketing as its called... if i walk into a game shop see something called Ship Simulator 2008 i immediatly say "ahhh microsoft has a new sim out".  I play FSX so i know how good it is and purchase SS08 withut a second thought... Tis very clever marketing from Vstep.... You look on Youtube SS vids and u'll see people asking about the game "microsoft ship simulator"... it just encourages people to buy the name and reputation of microsoft while its Vstep that take the profits and praise.
"Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard at it!"

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 22:02:14 »

So how is the suggestion that Microsoft made it a good thing...  ???  :P

;D

Fred

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 23:00:21 »

So how is the suggestion that Microsoft made it a good thing...  ???  :P

;D

Fred

I wasn't aware of the Microsoft font connection with VSTEP products, I thought that particular font was chosen becasue it is simple and clear to read.

For example, my work's Intranet webpages and internal email system use a standard font of Arial 12 point because apparently this is the best and easiest font to read, especially for those with dyslexia.

Kev

Admiral-of-the-fleet

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 01:45:03 »

Ha... Good point Mad_Fred!!!!  I mean microsoft did FS and Train sim as well i belive, yet the fastest growing industry in the world... shipping they decided not to touch... perhaps because of the supposovly small market that the sim would appeal to i dont know all i thought was that it was quite a clever bit of marketing using a font that i instantly relate to  "Microsoft" & "Simulation" while looking astheticly pleasing on the front cover attracting mabye a few people who are not sea or ship enthusiastes but people who take a carrabeian cruise and wonder how to drive this thing!!

Excuse the spelling - in a rush!!!!

Admiral-of-the-fleet

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 01:48:15 »

Oh and i think your right that it was chosen to look clear and pleasing to the eye as well as being easy to read but i think it was also used because it looks like a font that should be on the front of a simulation.  I dont think though that microsoft have any realation with Vstep.. i mean there compotition right??? so i think the font was just a similar one to that on FS and Train Sim!  Although i'm not the man to ask about the buisness relations and behind the scenes work at VStep :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:51:01 by Admiral-of-the-fleet »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines