Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 18:06:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highscores ?  (Read 1827 times)

liotta

• Forum member
Highscores ?
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:23:08 »

just been looking on the highscore screen and i dont understand how anyone can complete these missions in these sort of times. How, for example, can you tow the stranded boat with defective engines in 01.27 ?? am i that crap at this game

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Highscores ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:41:09 »

liotta,
You should ignore those kind of scores. :o Some were made in the very early days of the game when things were different and some were made by people who cheat. The particular mission you mention is not possible to complete in the time you quote.  The main thing, in my humble opinion, is to complete the missions with as little damage as possible, or even non at all. In real life pranging ships is usually an offence which results in being fired, or at worst having your ticket (Qualification) taken from you. ;)
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

liotta

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 13:17:55 »

thank god for that .... thought i would need the bluebird to do that time

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 16:23:00 »

Hi liotta,
As Angus said, high scores are meaningless. Some are achieved by cutting buoys, by going through the mission like a ball in a pinball game—with no regard to damage, by modifying the characteristics of their vessel, or by modifying the mission in the editor.
One goal off having missions for in-game download vetted by CMMs and then locked was to return some validity to scores and rankings. We are not there yet.
 Regards,
Marty

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 22:04:36 »

Hi liotta,
I see from your profile that we are both Pompey boys, (for the uninitiated that means we are both from Portsmouth).
There are some missions where the best times are still genuine. One of them is 'A New Fast Ferry Service' in Marsielle. My claim to fame is that when you select that mission my name will be on it as the fastest time, (I hope!, I haven't checked it lately!!), I didn't cut any bouys and when I achieved it my processor was only running at 50%, (as I've recently found out in another topic on 'Technical Support'). Your processor speed effects the speed that you can get out of your current vessel by 2 or 3 Kn in a mission. There are other factors, the Codecs you have and some 'in game' settings that you can adjust. In fact I think I would be safe in saying that all of the 'Red Funnel Cat' mission times are fair and can be beaten. One of the things that you cannot do with the 'Fast Cats' is "go through the game like a ball in a pinball game", the 'Cats' are very easy to damage and any damage has an effect on speed and so defeats the object, (there are also some traps, (invisible Way Points?) that can stop you completing a mission.

Having said all that, I would be very happy to vote for the high score table to be reset when the 'New Horizons' addon is released and clear the way for a fair start for everybody, maybe have one of the 'Global Moderators' monitor it and delete any obviously silly times.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:02:03 »

What do you need a score system for? This sim doesn't even have boat races with a start and a end.
I don't see the purpose of having a race boat in the game either if you cannot have races. Consider this for multi player IF there are going to be a own server for speedboat races where the players can challenge themselves AND where a score board is needed. ;)

Missions times... I don't get it really! :P
Do they have mission times in the modern world when a container ship leaves the container harbor? I don't think so... They probably have an agreement to reach destination harbor time a specified time (UTC/GMT time).

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 00:45:07 »

What do you need a score system for?
Missions times... I don't get it really! :P
Do they have mission times in the modern world when a container ship leaves the container harbor? I don't think so... They probably have an agreement to reach destination harbor time a specified time (UTC/GMT time).

Hi JHB,
When you have completed all the missions to your satisfaction and it seems like a lifetime to the next 'Addon' then you look around for things to do to keep your interest in SS08 going. For some people that would be 'Multiplayer', I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure that in the near future I will. At the moment I get a lot of satisfaction from doing the missions with larger ships well and with no consideration for time. There are some original SS08 missions that specify that the purpose of the mission is to get to your destination in the fastest time because they are thinking of introducing a new vessel.

If fast times in real life do not matter what was the 'Blue Riband', (held by the 'United States' since 1952 and competed for since the 'Sirius' in 1837 did a crossing of the Atlantic in 18 days 14 hours and 22 minutes), all about? (I'm not that knowledgeable about the 'Blue Riband', I just looked it up on Wikipedia) ;). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Riband

As I have mentioned on a previous topic, "it takes all kinds to make a world", some people need a target to go for. :)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines