Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 23:47:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Clyde Puffer"  (Read 4162 times)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
"Clyde Puffer"
« on: March 07, 2008, 21:35:35 »

Hello everyone! hope you are all well!, just thought i'd let you know of todays great eexperience for me ;)
as i was doing the mission sightseeing in Hamburg, out of the corner of my eye as i was traveling in the red jet i spotted a boat sat by the harbour wall, as i was going so fast i could not see it clearly and at first glance i thought it was some sort of old river tug, i promised myself that i would go back after i had completed the mission and take a look at the boat that i had saw, upon reaching the vessel a beautiful sight met my eyes, it was an old Clyde Puffer!, (The Clyde puffer is essentially a type of small steamboat which provided a vital supply link around the west coast and Hebrides islands of Scotland!) i couldn't believe what i was seeing! this Clyde puffer was so highly detailed, but then my smile dissapeared :(, it dawned on me that the clyde puffer wasn't a playable boat in ship simulator, i couldn't get over the fact that this boat was so highly detailed and looked so great, yet it was not used......its such a shame.....:'( well you never know with a bit of luck it may become a playable ship later on in ship simulator :) i hope.....
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: "Clyde Puffer"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 21:38:12 »

Try looking in Active projects. It's there somewhere ;)

Chris-S1

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 21:48:42 »

irishjack do u no much about the clide i live in the midel of it lol about 0.5m away from the huntersont newc powerstason and hunterston clyde cole termanal if u whant some pics then i could get some for u?

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 23:09:09 »

irishjack do u no much about the clide i live in the midel of it lol about 0.5m away from the huntersont newc powerstason and hunterston clyde cole termanal if u whant some pics then i could get some for u?

Me too, I'm down in Ayr only about 15m south of you!

The model of the puffer I believe was constructed by Simon Richardson who is also doing the new tug in the addon. He also has a fantastic model of Clyde favourite the Paddle Steamer "Waverley" hopefully she too will turn up in Ship Simulator someday as there has been a lot of demands for her. Wouldn't the Clyde would make a great area to add to Ship Sim with all of the ferry routes, docks, nuc sub base and marinas etc + the spectacular scenery of Arran Bute & the Cumbraes.

Clyde puffers are particularly famous becuse of the 70's TV series the Vital Spark a sitcom (think "Fawlty Towers" at sea) based loosely on the Para Handy Stories of Neil Munro. I watched them as a kid and they are very, very funny, I recommend you all check them out over on YouTube I think its the best thing BBC Scotland ever made.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 23:58:23 by sonarman »

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 00:06:52 »

Also spotted this in Rotterdam harbour, near the Erasmus bridge.

And I guess I'm rather lucky - in September I'll be sailing on the Caledonian canal to Inverness on the "Vic 32" - so I hope to get a lot of pics!!

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 02:12:33 »

And I guess I'm rather lucky - in September I'll be sailing on the Caledonian canal to Inverness on the "Vic 32" - so I hope to get a lot of pics!!

Hi Patrick

Lucky you, VIC 32 is great is she still run by Nick Walker?  I remember meeting VIC32 often when working on Waverley.  I see Youtube also has a video of VIC's steam gramaphone

The pics on your site are great by the way, your low shooting angle from near the water makes the ships look larger and very impressive.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:17:30 by sonarman »

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:15:40 »

I believe Nick still runs the Vic 32. Partners father is taking us on the cruise and is arranging it all.

As for the site, just moved to another server with 10x the space so there may be many more photos going on this year.

Patrick

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:21:39 »

Greetings,
That Clyde puffer has been build,by SimonDR.
Vstep converted it sofar as a static model,and used it in the game as a extra feature to dress up the scenery.
Dont know what the future will bring us for this creation.
SimonDR,did realy a good job on that model.Specialy as you know those ships are more museum as working vessels.
Thanks to the 3-D programs,we can still see them.
Marc
N

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:19 »

I'd love that to happen. A Clyde Puffer would be amazing.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 20:03:57 »

Wow, wasn't expecting my topic to be back, I made this ages ago :D (although, I think its ok because you have made a contribution to the topic)

Yes, now the shipyard is here, I think it would be nice if the Clyde was a playable vessel, I love Clyde Puffer's very much. It would be nice to see her about as a playable ship alright, But sadly, I don't think its likely. But you never know!

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 20:12:51 »

Yeah, and when they allready have made it, i don't think it's so much work to put it on the game.  Hope it will come in the shipyard. And if it does, lets hope its free as the jumbo javalin!  :D
Just making the ship is one thing, there is many many more steps to do before it is playable in ShipSim.
If it does come available through the shipyard, I doubt it would be for free. :-\
Regards,
James

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 22:23:16 »

Well having now sailed the real thing in "VIC 32" it would be great to have a puffer in SS - along with all the other mercantile types we all desire!  ;D

And sonarman, if your still looking in - pics of "VIC 32" are on my site now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines