Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 14:18:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this the acualy the REAL horn of the Titanic or were there 2?  (Read 2751 times)

Third Mate

• Forum member

I've been thinking for awhile now.When i first heard the ship's horn it sounded more like this.So what im wondering is did the Titanic had 2 horns instead of one,Because i know the one in SS08 is real, i saw evidence, but the second one is being blowned just before the ship departs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zojWt0dN0&feature=related, now listen carefully, you can hear it when it gets to 2:20 well it's close to it. ;)

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Is this the acualy the REAL horn of the Titanic or were there 2?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 13:12:43 »

Well, you can't take movies too seriously. Just because something is in a movie, does not make it real. To dramatise things, certain features are, more often than not, overdone.

I don't know what the evidence was you saw, that it was "real"

Did they record it from an identical horn (same type and manufactorer) from a ship from that era that is still afloat? Or did they just travel back to 1912 and record it?  :P

Regards,
Fred

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 15:59:27 »

However that all the company's are still knowned,which had worked on the Titanic,i even think the original plans are still around.
I realy dont think that this info was relevant for the movie,i think they created a sound,that worked with that type of vessel.
Regards
Marc
N

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 16:13:15 »

Yeah I think you are right, Marc..

Hollywood doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to realism.  ;D
Most sounds you hear in movies are made in a recording studio anyway.

Fred

sixflagscoasters

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 20:55:34 »

The horn you hear at that point in the movie could just be a warning blast, letting everyone know the ship will be departing soon.

I am sure a ship would not use the loud horn used for long distances, but if it is the same horn, then they just made a short warning blast. But this is just a guess.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:51:57 »

Well, you can't take movies too seriously. Just because something is in a movie, does not make it real. To dramatise things, certain features are, more often than not, overdone.

I don't know what the evidence was you saw, that it was "real"

Did they record it from an identical horn (same type and manufacturer) from a ship from that era that is still afloat? Or did they just travel back to 1912 and record it?  :P

Regards,
Fred

Wow, thats a hard one....because i have no idea but i just thought if it was in the movie it had to be real, if you think about it realistically.And i have not found any other evidence of that "warning blast" that was blowned in the movie ye. ::) :-X

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

SirXpression

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:22:10 »

well i know that warning blasts do happen when a ship, such as titanic and others are due for departure...

eg.

PS Waverley : warning blast 20 minutes before departure from rothesay (isle of bute, scotland) peir (normally only on fridays when passengers get an hour ashore)

MV Balmoral : warning blast 10 minutes before departure from Glasgow's science centre complex (since the broomilaw has been cut off due to the new Clyde Arc bridge (aka "the squinty bridge") only heard it once when she was going on passage to greenock, helensburgh, dunoon, largs & Milport, for the illuminations on 22 september last year.

That Damn Scotsman

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 21:15:59 »

It could indeed be the real Titanic's whistle, as it was salvaged and has been used with compressed air.

See this page for more details

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 06:13:49 »

Have done a little playing around with whistles for steam locomotives and they sound quite different using steam an compressed air.
A ship's whistle being used in a relatively confined area could be sounded quieter by restricting the steam flow through the whistle.  This is achieved by not pulling the lanyard down as far as for a full blast or, in the case of a lever, not moving the lever too far.
You can actually get a range of volumes and even pitch by "playing" with the control valve actuator.
However:  I don't think we should worry overmuch about the realism of one whistle when so many of the others are not very accurate.
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

Fox Luna

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 21:03:22 »

The titanic horn in shipsim is the real one, they took the whistles(spelling??) up and they fixed them and you can here the sound here

http://www.titanicnorden.com/engent.html

press the speaker icon on the bottom :):)
Fox Luna

MPSS     Multiplayer Ship Simmers Clan

Register NOW -------> www.mpssclan.co.uk

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 23:37:46 »

The titanic horn in shipsim is the real one, they took the whistles(spelling??) up and they fixed them and you can here the sound here

http://www.titanicnorden.com/engent.html

press the speaker icon on the bottom :):)

Hey, you know what that does sound more improved  than the one in Ss08.I think you are on to something here.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Fox Luna

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 14:23:38 »

No , why should i ???

This is a serious guy who runs this site , ask any other people who speaks swedish

Don't see why i should make it up ::) ??

cheers :)
Fox Luna

MPSS     Multiplayer Ship Simmers Clan

Register NOW -------> www.mpssclan.co.uk

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 23:50:50 »

That movie didn't do research on the ship as heavily as these game makers did. that wasn't it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines