Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 23:01:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you think that SS08 is hard?

Yes, it is hard to me
so-so
No, it is easy to me

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you think that SS08 is hard?  (Read 5459 times)

huang yu po peter

• Forum member
Do you think that SS08 is hard?
« on: February 17, 2008, 10:26:49 »

Do you think that SS08 is hard? If yes, why? I think that it is really hard.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Do you think that SS08 is hard?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 10:30:39 »

Could you explain h a r d .... ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:34:47 »

Ship simulator isn't verry hard.
You just have to be patient and be smooth with the controls.

On some vessels it is difficult to control every rudder and engine with only a mouse and keyboard, so I voted so-so.

But I'll explain hard,

hard is manouvering a ship on the correct way and not just reaching the waypoints.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:37:08 »

Well, than it's easy for proven seamen, a challenge for nautical look-arounds and hard for everybody who believes in special-floating-ship-construction-steel  ;D  ;D  ;D

So, try harder!
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

huang yu po peter

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 14:39:49 »

Could you explain h a r d .... ;)
Yes, some ships are hard to control and can steer off course easily.

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09:27 »

hmmmm this is hard to explain, well there are some easy parts, some hard parts and some long parts of them game.

Cheers, Matt

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:13:00 »

Yes, some ships are hard to control and can steer off course easily.

Like the jet ski? That is hard to control. For me anyway :)

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:51 »

Lol, the jetski is really  really  really  really  really  really  really hard  to control for me :P

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:19:02 »

;D

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:36:24 »

Ocean Stars controls do I still find very hard. The reason for that is because I hardly sail this ship :P

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:12 »

Then you will get more problems with the new "Bugsier 2".. :-\.- I really appreciate the precision steering with the keyboard for both vessels and it works quite good  ;D!
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

NathanC

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 19:22:22 »

Many people ask me how toy steer the Red Eagel, but it's hard to explain

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 19:33:10 »

Thats why I made a movie about it  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6E6zhExBBU

Jackobaker53

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 23:49:49 »

i find sailing large boats hard, they are sow and i like going fast, although i love walking round the titanic, i spend most of the time walkin around it and not lookin at the island ahead
Gypsies call themselves travellers,but most of their caravans dont have wheels

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 05:54:54 »

Thats why I made a movie about it  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6E6zhExBBU
aha, i need a lesson to control the red eagle ;D Thanks!

Anyway going back ontopic, I  think it depends what type and size of vessels you like. For me its ro ro car ferries and i love to use the PoR and i can control that easilly.

But when it comes to the Ocean Star i go all ova the place :P I dont know why but when i press my right button on my keyboard the ship goes left ???

And when im on the red eagle and im going full speed and i want to go right so i press my right button it doesnt go right but slows the vessel down ???

So i think it all depends on what vessel you like and the size of it too and probably the propullsion and how the ship turns too.. But thats my theory ;) :P
Regards,
James

huang yu po peter

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 09:07:21 »

Well,some vessels like the jetski, hovercraft and powerboat are hard to control. The red jet 4 and the red eagle  have confusing controls.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 09:23:08 »

Half the fun is learning each vessel and its controls (me mouse keyboard) at first hated azimuth
now after practice can handle ocean princess no bother.
Same red eagle at first all over now handles like a dream.
only one is jet ski and i think everyone has said it before at full the answer is you can't
So to me every ship is different and has to be learned at players own pace  ;D
                                                                                                      Eric

NathanC

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 09:49:22 »

Well,some vessels like the jetski, hovercraft and powerboat are hard to control. The red jet 4 and the red eagle  have confusing controls.
I just put both throttle up to 82% with the red jet, and steer with the keyboard arrows.

ADDUBYA

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 10:01:35 »

Then you will get more problems with the new "Bugsier 2".. :-\.- I really appreciate the precision steering with the keyboard for both vessels and it works quite good  ;D!

I was afraid of that. :(  I can't speak for a ship like the Ocean Star but from my experience on ASD tugs especially ones with Rolls-Royce controls like the ones modeled for O.S. and Bugsier have no reverse. The red side on my controls on real tugs says "Clutch Out" to take them out of gear. To move the tug astern I simply turn the controls 180 degrees or toward the bow. I could understand this on a ship like the ocean star but changing shaft directions on a tug from ahead to astern seems like overkill.

I have operated vessels with azimuth drives in real life and I just can't make Ship Sim do it. >:(

IMHO :-[

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 10:08:54 »

Try first on single-mode,several times(practice)
If you start to know how and what,than go to the multi-mode.
It's not more difficult,than any other game.It's just to know the right key's,and always think infront.
That what you do on a real vessel to.
Marc
N

ADDUBYA

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 10:26:59 »

Thanks. I haven't given up yet. I have no problem going from point A to B. I think I try to get cute with the docking and swinging maneuvers and she eats my lunch.

I am really impressed with VSTEP for many of the features they have added to the game. There is a "fun" boat for nearly everyone's taste that is good for mindless cruising. I am glad that there are some challenges, keeps it interesting. I have trained on a multi-thousand dollar "full mission" bridge simulator and it is pretty amazing what they pack into a $50 PC game that is interesting for enthusiast as well as "professionals."

If it was too easy it would get boring quick.

My 2c. worth.  ;)

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 12:11:03 »

I was afraid of that. :(  I can't speak for a ship like the Ocean Star but from my experience on ASD tugs especially ones with Rolls-Royce controls like the ones modeled for O.S. and Bugsier have no reverse. The red side on my controls on real tugs says "Clutch Out" to take them out of gear. To move the tug astern I simply turn the controls 180 degrees or toward the bow. I could understand this on a ship like the ocean star but changing shaft directions on a tug from ahead to astern seems like overkill.

I have operated vessels with azimuth drives in real life and I just can't make Ship Sim do it. >:(

IMHO :-[

I'm experienced with the "B2" myself and with other azimuth-driven vessels. So it was my very first request to the developers to fulfill exactly your demands. And they did! With the upcoming add-on you will find all those vessels as steerable as you (and I  ;)) like it! Well, to be honest, the "B2" will not have the clutch and the slipping clutch for lower speeds. Guess nobody will realize that.. ;D...

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

captain03

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 12:51:23 »

so so

NathanC

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 13:57:34 »

Can someone explain the ocean star steering? I heard it was strange but i want to know what is different about it? Is it difficult to control?

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 14:11:53 »

Well, the new one has azimuth thrusters instead of conventional prop-rudder-arrangements. So you have to steer with those pods and the only tricky thing is, that you have to turn the controls to the opposite direction of the wanted ship movement. That means, turning them to the left (port), the pods thrust will effect a vessels turning to the right (starboard). Btw this is exactly the opposite with the new "B2", because the thrusters are mounted forward there... ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines