Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 15:30:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a Saitek Aviator for the guts of my controller  (Read 1729 times)

capterik

• Forum member
Using a Saitek Aviator for the guts of my controller
« on: February 16, 2008, 21:14:15 »

After reading the how to make a controller thread, It came to me that all the parts are in my Saitek Aviator Joystick and that all I have to do is break it down and mount it in a panel. Make new throttle arms with indents, so that it is easy to know when it is in nuetral. Its just a matter of figuring out what the different buttons and swtches do, then lay them out on a labeled panel. I might have to replace some wires with longer ones, but for a initial cost of $29 it would seem an easy way to make my own controller. Has anyone done this and what do you think of the idea?

Rapid fire trigger

4 buttons

8-way ‘point-of-view’ hat switch

4 two-way toggle switches

3D Twist Rudder control

Dual throttles

Single spring gimbal mechanism

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Using a Saitek Aviator for the guts of my controller
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 21:22:18 »

sounds interesting capterik, I'll be following your progress..  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 21:44:56 by saltydog »

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:19:24 »

Ive allso tought of that, building my control unit from a joystick.

But theres a downside.

Some joysticks work with a optical device for detecting movement, like your lasermouse or optical mouse.

And if that is the case, you can't build your controller from a joystick.

But maybe you have luck and the av8r works on potmeters.

capterik

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 13:48:28 »

Ive allso tought of that, building my control unit from a joystick.

But theres a downside.

Some joysticks work with a optical device for detecting movement, like your lasermouse or optical mouse.

And if that is the case, you can't build your controller from a joystick.

But maybe you have luck and the av8r works on potmeters.
I have opened it up and it seems that is done with potentiometers and a controller just like they were talking on the how to build it forum. I am at sea for another week and a half, so I will not be able to try it untilI get back. It also has a selector switch that says off A or B and I am hoping that I can use this to change the controls to operate the Crane and maybe the cameras. Gonna try assigning everything and trying before tearing appart and laying out the new controller. My plan is to use black plexiglass for mounting the parts in with a wooden frame around it. I will draw up the layout on a full size paper first, then drill the holes and hopefully get the switch labels engraved before putting it all together. I will try to take pictures as I go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines