Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 01:48:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mooring Boulders  (Read 6388 times)

NathanC

Mooring Boulders
« on: February 14, 2008, 16:34:16 »

Are there any mooring boulders in free roam that you can actually connect to? Also, why aren't there any mooring boulders in multiplayer, it would be better if there was some.

Denis

• Global Moderator
Re: Mooring Boulders
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 17:01:23 »

Indeed, there are no mooring points in free roaming mode ...

If you want to sail freely, with mooring points everywhere , it's quite possible ... juste create a mission, with no objective, but with as many bollard as you wish ...

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 17:57:34 »

Denis,
You beat me to it. I was about to say exactly the same thing. It just requires a little imagination. As to the situation in Multiplay it is early days yet, who knows what will come. ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 17:59:07 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 18:15:13 »

Well, there will be, but not before the next patch.. ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

NathanC

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 18:37:06 »

Unfortunately i have that problem where i can't rotate the ships in mission editior, so i don't play the editor

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 18:42:18 »

Why can't rotate them? Is t you can't select the ship? I find a have to click like 10 times for it to select something :o :(

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 18:45:54 »

Unfortunately i have that problem where i can't rotate the ships in mission editior, so i don't play the editor

Well, If you use mission editor just to create a zone with mooring points, you don't need to rotate ships !

Anyway, there's no reason why you can't rotate ships... Have you tried to use this tutorial by mvsmith ?

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3653.0.html

NathanC

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 20:16:53 »

Yes, there was another topic where someone said that he couldn't rotate the ship. It appears that you have to download mission editor BEFORE you upgrade to V1.3, then you can rotate the ships. But it is not that important to me, thanks anyway :)

Penguin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 20:30:59 »

There are mooring boulders in free roam mode - definitely.
I found 27 boulders in Rotterdam and the same number in Hamburg.

Have a look at the following description:

Hamburg:
  • At Fischereihafen
  • Oevelgönne/mooring point Neumühlen (Same waterside as Fischereihafen, from this point only a  short way downstream)
  • Near Othmarschen  (check the entrance to the big anabranch, which leads to the Dradenauhafen - it's next to a pilot station with a big clock).
Rotterdam (-> Screenshots):
CPU: Core2duo E6400 (2 x 2,13 GHz)
Grafik: 8600GT/512 RAM
RAM: 2 GB DDR II SD-RAM
VISTA

NathanC

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 06:56:47 »

thanks, i'll try it out later  :)

prof_111

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 16:42:28 »

You have to reinstall the editor than it will work again ;). It happend to me

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 19:21:24 »

When people talk about "boulders" here, is that the same as "bollards"? Or is this some other item in the Mission Editor?

I haven't come across this term previously except in the context of large round lumps of rock, so I'd like to know if I've missed something in Ship Simulator.

Thanks.

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 20:35:14 »

It’s a Dutch thing, Terry:
They have been doing the boat thing for many centuries, long before the English invented bollards.
They tied up to whatever was handy—large rocks, etc. Just be happy that they don’t call them “trees”. That would really be confusing. :)
Regards,
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 21:11:40 »

Hi Marty.

Heh!

Actually, I was wondering if it was a translation thing. I could see that the word "bollard" might be Flemish or French for "boulder". But as my Flemish is somewhat limited (no words at all), and my French is limited to the translation of "My name is Terry. Give me all your money and a six-pack of beer", I can't be certain.

Not sure why Nathan (the thread originator) would have used it, since he's a Brit and no-one from the Netherlands has used that therm in this thread. But as he hangs around with the now defunct Captain Lucy, perhaps it came from him?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 21:14:27 by TerryRussell »

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 22:53:49 »

Hello Terry,
You are right, in Dutch, a bollard is "een bolder", in German "ein Poller" and in French ... "un bollard" (coming from the English word), and on board "une bitte d'amarrage", this one from old Scandinavian origin, but only to be used on board.
The English word would originate from the French Norman "boulard" (was it 1066 Trafalgar?), or is it the contrary? Anyway they are all probably cognates, because of strong links within the shipping world.
That was our international moment of babel .. fish.
Regards,
Luc

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 23:21:30 »

Hi Luc.

In a similar way the term "bollard" is generally only used for mooring points on land in Brit-speak. Boats have "cleats" and other things depending on the size of the implement concerned.

Still not sure why Nathan was using the term "Boulder" though. I've never heard that used for anything except a large lump of granite here in the UK, or in the USA.

As my lot (the Russells) are of Viking Extract (via Normandy), 1066 was a good year for us (Hastings). The village of Rousel is of course ours. We will return and reclaim it shortly.  ;D

Now, my name is Terry. Give me your money and a six pack of beer. - The family motto.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 23:22:40 »

Thanks Luc .... it's always a pleasure to read you, I always learn a lot thanks to your posts !

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 23:44:22 »

Now that we’ve had fun and erudition, let’s consider the remote possibility that Nathan used the word because that’s what they are called in the Static Objects list in ME. It might be more a matter of nomenclature rather than etymology.
Regards,
Marty

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 00:13:05 »

Sad, very sad, breaking the fun.  :o Or would "etymology" be related to "nomenclature"?
But also, ha, why is it written boulder in the nomenclature? Could it be of a Dutch origin?
How would that be possible?  ??? I couldn't have imagined it.
Now, a short moment of truth:  :-[ I didn't see anything wrong in "boulder" because of its consonance with "bolder", and that in English, bollard is the same as in French.
So, it is Terry's question that made me think about the meaning of boulder, and why it seemed so strange for English speaking people in its meaning of bollard. What was the link between the Boulder Dam and some lost Poller in Hamburg? None at all, unless boulder came from bolder!
Voilà.
Regards,
Luc

TerryRussell

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 00:29:02 »

Now that we’ve had fun and erudition, let’s consider the remote possibility that Nathan used the word because that’s what they are called in the Static Objects list in ME. It might be more a matter of nomenclature rather than etymology.
Regards,
Marty

Hi Martyy.

No, the ME says "Bollards" over and over again (or at least it does in my version, which I know is the same as Nathan's). Not once does it say "boulders" or "lumps of rock".

Actually, I think he got it because he read/heard it in another thread.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 00:31:02 by TerryRussell »

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 01:48:16 »

Hello Terry,
It is coming from the Mission editor manual in English. No wonder it has also been used sometimes in topics.
Regards,  :D
Luc

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 02:18:09 »

The early versions of the ME said boulder. The tutorial also says so.
Marty

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 09:13:15 »

Ah, I see.

OK, "boulders" it is then!  ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:22 »

Adding to the confusion here, anyone remember Donkey in Shrek?

"I like that boulder, that's a nice boulder" :D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 12:50:32 »

That was the boulder that was balder than the other boulders, right..?.. ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 13:44:41 by saltydog »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines