Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 15:40:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What controller interface do you use?  (Read 1781 times)

d20

• Forum member
What controller interface do you use?
« on: February 12, 2008, 18:03:59 »

What is the preferred method of controller/interface for fellow ship simmers as unlike with FSX where a yoke throtlle combo seems the obvious choice with ship sim its not quite as straightforward.

As for me i use my side winder with built in trottle but it is rather limited.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
Re: What controller interface do you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 22:45:46 »

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,4505.0.html
This link will take you to some interesting comments about controllers, including a link to a site that is advertising a commercial controller that would be ideal for ShipSim (it's not out yet). I use a Logic3 star fighter joystick but I only use it for fast vessels and small ones, (Pilot launches and the Red Funnel Cats). Even then I revert to the keyboard and mouse when docking. I only use the throttle for 'both engines ahead', a button for 'both engines astern' and the joystick for port/starboard. I had considered taking the joystick apart and using the USB interface board and other components to make my own controller but when I saw the link above I thought I might wait and see what happens.
Regards, DaveM
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

steveboston

• Forum member
Re: What controller interface do you use?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 21:26:32 »

Just like Dave M. I find that I mostly use the keyboard/mouse and only use a stick for docking etc. or the Powerboat or Jetski. This is easiest (unlike flightsims or r/c model sims). For 'flying I have a cyborg evo converted with homemade rudder pedals and seperate throttle.
It isn't too handy as a Shipsim controller but it doesn't mind when I plug in a gamepad as well - so I find it easiest to set up and use that as my controller. Might work for you too.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines