Hello Guest April 16, 2024, 16:46:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OOPS!!! Gentlemen, check your slings!  (Read 6543 times)

Wonko_The_Sane

• Forum member
OOPS!!! Gentlemen, check your slings!
« on: June 25, 2007, 13:30:12 »

Talk about a wild ride!

Offloading $1.5 million yacht from the M/V Rickmers Dalian

The forward sling breaks!  Check out the bloke on the port quarter!  :o  If you look real close you can see the arm of a second man below him, just left of the bumper.

For reasons known only to G-d, both men survived.

Check out the full article at http://www.cargolaw.com/2007nightmare_marquis.ride.html

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: OOPS!!! Gentlemen, check your slings!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 15:02:03 »

An amateurs attempt to recreate the mini submarine scene in James Bonds Dr NO?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Ship Sim

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:29:10 »

Oah boy a $1.5 million dollar yacht. Some one is in trouble. ;) It was a nice boat. So does anyone know if someone is going to re-float it.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:33:01 »

Oah boy a $1.5 million dollar yacht. Some one is in trouble. ;) It was a nice boat. So does anyone know if someone is going to re-float it.

at $1.5 million, I suspect so. It looks a fairly swift (therefore sturdy) boat, so probably not much major damage.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Ship Sim

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 01:46:29 »

Except that the interior will be soaked and the motor will be flooded.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 02:34:17 »

well the insurance of the M/V Rickmers Dalian should be paying for repairs, overhaul, new boat, etc. KM

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:10:19 »

Except that the interior will be soaked and the motor will be flooded.

Unless the engine and transmission were submerged for a long time they would be overhauled at perhaps a few thousand each.

To retrim the boat would not cost 1.5 million... The hull is the expensive part of a boat. Unless it is damaged (micro fissures are difficult to detect except under UV light) then it would be cheaper to repair.

But its quite possible (not likely, but possible) the hull was badly damaged when it fell. Who knows.

Stu

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:53:01 »

Unless the engine and transmission were submerged for a long time they would be overhauled at perhaps a few thousand each.

To retrim the boat would not cost 1.5 million... The hull is the expensive part of a boat. Unless it is damaged (micro fissures are difficult to detect except under UV light) then it would be cheaper to repair.

But its quite possible (not likely, but possible) the hull was badly damaged when it fell. Who knows.

Stu

Actually, I have to differ here.  The old rule, in the days of wooden boats built piece by piece, was that the hull was 40% of the cost, but nowdays with modern building materials and methods -- and especially boats equipped with more systems -- the hull is a much lower percentage.  When you get up into the 25-meter range, the hull is only about 20%.  The engines and systems are another large piece, but the surprising fact is that the interior is almost 40%.

That said, the boat is almost certainly repairable, but the bulk of the cost of doing so would be in cleaning, etc (like smoke damage after a fire).

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:59:20 »

Yes, maybe you're right. Hulls might be cheap to make, but I bet they are more than 40% of the sales cost...

The engines will need overhauling, but I can not see why they can not be repaired for a small amount (a thousand quid tops, per engine).

Most likely the owner will get a new boat, that one will be cleaned up as you say and sold on cheap to a lesser mortal.

Thinking back, you look at some shipping accidents- the herald of free enterprise was 7 years old and was scrapped due to the cost of a required repair after the accident, so who knows...
Stu

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:00:25 »

Cant' you see that the screw-shafts and the rudders are pulled off?

I think it needs a lot of new parts.

And... this is a yacht, not a ferry(like the Herald of free enterprise).

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:15:53 »

Are they? Cant be very strong if they fall off so easily.

You're doing better than me. I can't see it as someone has put water in the way.

What point are you trying to make that it is a yacht not a ferry? Do you think I don't know the difference? The point I was making is that mporter might have a point that the cost of fittings outweighs the cost of its book value- so mporter could be right. I don't know. I REALLY DONT CARE!

stu

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 13:21:11 »

Yes, maybe you're right. Hulls might be cheap to make, but I bet they are more than 40% of the sales cost...

Stu

Stu -- you'd lose your bet -- sorry.

Whether the insurance company decides it's "economically repairable" or a "constructive total loss" will be up to them.

Cheers,
Michael
www.mp-marine.com

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 16:56:53 »

I just mean that salvaging a yacht is much cheaper and easiër than salvaging a ferry.
I mean, if you look at the price of the ship against the price of salvage.

I don't agree with the part where you say "Cant be verry strong if they fall of that easely".
There is something like 40T going over them!
You can see some damage in the hull at the area of the shafts who are ripped out (I think).

And there is allso some oil or fuel in the water wich may heve escaped trough those holes.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 19:27:11 »

Sorry Sam, misunderstanding. I mean that the cost of salvage/repair in relation to new build on ANY vessel will be taken into account. Ferry, cruiser, yacht.

As for the props being ripped out, it is hard to see. I'm not sure where the 40t comes in. Any admage would be caused by water pressure on the props as it fell- remember it didn't fall on its keel, it went nose first.

As for the oil, it probably just came out the filler- maybe major fuel leak, but also could be lub oil from the other boats in the harbour.

Without better photos, we can't tell can we? Maybe we should leave his one here? :)

Stu

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 19:41:06 »

Hello Stu,
Citation from the site from where the pictures came:
http://www.cargolaw.com/2007nightmare_marquis.ride.html
"As Your Carver 55' Marquis  Rocketed Forward & Down It Dragged Over The Rear Sling. The Rear Sling Tore off Your Propellers, Shafts, Struts & Drive Train."
Regards,
Luc

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 21:07:20 »

OK I stand corrected.

Stu

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 22:37:33 »

There are hanging two ropes under the hull to hold the ship.
One in the front and one in the back.
And if the rope in the front breaks, the rope in the back goes over the rudders ,screws and shafts.
With the whole weight of the ship wich I guess is 40T.

I hope you get it now.

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 01:22:14 »

There are hanging two ropes under the hull to hold the ship.
One in the front and one in the back.
And if the rope in the front breaks, the rope in the back goes over the rudders ,screws and shafts.
With the whole weight of the ship wich I guess is 40T.

I hope you get it now.

So why rub it in Sam -- Stu already agreed!
www.mp-marine.com

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 07:25:36 »

$1000 for each motor? That's a steal! I think you'd be more looking at $5000+! $1000 might buy you a cheap out board!

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 10:09:25 »

Greetings,
Yes,i agree ! Engines in that type of vessel,can go easy over the 5000 dollar.So that 1000 dollar price,that must be ages ago.
I remember a someone around here,from the marina said:1 dollar par Hp.I know it's just an expression,but it goes quit close to the reality.
Regards
Marc
N

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 16:33:47 »

Indeed, the price of the engines is impressive!
The price of a Volvo Penta D9-500 EDC with gearbox ZF280AE is  €51.674,00
( origin. neu Schmidt & Seifert oHG in Hamburg).
Wow!  :o
Luc

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 21:11:24 »

Greetings,
Yes,i agree ! Engines in that type of vessel,can go easy over the 5000 dollar.So that 1000 dollar price,that must be ages ago.

Marc, with respect, read my post...

1. 'a thousand quid=£1000 = $2000 dollars approx. OK?

2. READ the post. It said overhaul/repair NOT replace.

"The engines will need overhauling, but I can not see why they can not be repaired for a small amount (a thousand quid tops, per engine)."

I said OVERHAUL, not replace. I doubt the overhaull would cost much more than that per engine unless there is major damage. For a start, I doubt it would have any problems internally that a fluid change would not cure. Diesels are more robust than that.

If it means an end to this thread, then I will agree with whatever else anyone says. OK?

Stu

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 01:32:32 »

Stuard, calm down and read your own reaction again please. Marc not understanding your post is not a reason to react with this tone. Ok?
Wout

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 21:52:44 »

Yep, sorry.

I'm really regretting this thread. My error was pointed out, I accepted I was wrong... Don't want to drag it on.

Stu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines