Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 01:37:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ouch. Bet this hurt...  (Read 2636 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Ouch. Bet this hurt...
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:10:12 »

Ship leaving half the superstructure after going under a low estuary bridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47L3kWCsx0&mode=related&search=

I really like the way the cameraman went to help and put down his camera and thought that calling the emergency services was much more important than making a film...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Season

• Forum member
Re: Ouch. Bet this hurt...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:11:42 »

Saw that before  :o

Also check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8AJ93Wh00
Fake, I think.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:14:25 »

Looks pretty convincing to me. If it is fake, its well done.

But the tug doesn't look damaged after it rights itself. So maybe.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:23:25 »

I bet the bridge of that ship cleared in seconds!

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 14:50:38 »

The Bridge-master wasn't watching carefully. He lowered the bridge to soon, that was the problem.
Watch the movie again, and you can see the bridge lowering, before the deckhouse is under it. After the ship crashes into the bridge, he tries to rise the bridge again. Ofcourse it could be a malfunction of the bridge.

Since a ship doesn't have brakes, the only thing the captain could do is abandon the wheel-house, leaving the ship uncontrolable. There are back-up controlls for the engine, i don't know if they have them for the rudder as well. So the engineer could stop the engine, but that's all.

All in all, it's to bad these things happen, but what can you do?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 14:54:34 by Eemspoort »
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 15:28:10 »

There are back-up controlls for the engine, i don't know if they have them for the rudder as well. So the engineer could stop the engine, but that's all.

Surely even the largest ships have some sort of tiller system?

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 15:40:22 »

Well, my geuss is, sea-ships have a back-up-controll for ruder, but on inland-vessels, when you wreck the wheelhouse, it's over and don with (Mostly. Maybe there are ships who have back-up). In my case, i can controll the main-engine manualy in the engine-room, but i can't controll the rudder anymore.
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 02:25:24 »

Well, my geuss is, sea-ships have a back-up-controll for ruder, but on inland-vessels, when you wreck the wheelhouse, it's over and don with (Mostly. Maybe there are ships who have back-up). In my case, i can controll the main-engine manualy in the engine-room, but i can't controll the rudder anymore.

Sea-going ships in the US, classed under American Bureau of Shipping, are required to have some kind of emergency steering, and I think other classification societies have similar requirements.  But a manual tiller wouldn't be much use on a vessel of that size. And by the time the fire (probably electrical in origin?) breaks out, any secondary control system would be pretty doubtful.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 11:03:04 »

I was on a ferry years ago (an old BR/Sealink... A saint if I remember) and that was being steered from the engine control room. Just a couple of simple buttons to engage a hydraulic motor on the tiller and we were only a few feet above the keel- a long way from the bridge.

So, a local controlled tiller is just as good.

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines