Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 13:51:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceberg, Right Ahead.  (Read 15535 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Iceberg, Right Ahead.
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 14:59:47 »

I think unless the engineering crew were all killed (possible) the first priority for them would have been to bleed the steam off.

It's not a good idea letting superheated steam come into contact with incoming cold water. It tends to explode. So it is normal to bleed it off. They certainly wouldn't run the props once the abandon order came.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007, 15:24:41 »

In fact there are suspicions that the boilers did expolde and caused the ship to sink even quicker, but no one can be sure because nobody has ever been able to reach the engine room to check, not even with RC bots.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 16:28:00 by Captain Davies »

chrism

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2007, 15:58:43 »

I think were expecting way to much of the second issue release of Ship Simulator

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2007, 18:14:03 »

But couldn't you say the same thing about that afwul dull Cameron film? Should a film have been made about dying?

(Personally I think they shouldn't have made that film but not for 'taste' reasons, just it is dull as can be. (don't tell Mr DJM- He'll bar me!))

I'm not telling you are wrong, just not sure if I agree, but I understand your concerns.

Stu
hes got a good point-that film really sucked!
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2007, 21:05:11 »

i heard that there is plans to make britannic the first under water museum ever. I heard this it may be right or wrong i don't know. this is question do you ever think someone could collect enough funds for a full sized coal fired titanic. Or even oil fired? but not diesel. There would be no point then i think. But would it be possibile like Richard Branson would has a great interest in transport would maybe give a few funds and start a project?
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Remember The Elite Officers that perished on that night:

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Officer Henry Tingle Wilde
First Officer William McMaster Murdoch
Sixth Officer James Paul Moody
Chief Engineer Jo

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2007, 22:06:01 »

Back in 1998 not long after the cr*p film came out, there was a feasibility study into building a replica. It was professionally done and costed and I believe it was about twice the price of a modern design of its size.

Ultimately, you are talking 250,000,000 to build a ship and launch a business on it.

The problem was that once interest died down in the Cameron film, there wouldn't have been enough business to sustain it. Like Londons Routemaster buses, or steam trains. They look great, bring enthusiasts out but the reality is that they are not commercially viable.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 04:23:17 »

i heard that there is plans to make britannic the first under water museum ever. I heard this it may be right or wrong i don't know.

I have read something about that. I think, if I still remember, that Robert Ballard or whatever that's man called, who found the Titanic in 1985 (on my birthday :D), made that suggestion.

Lemme find that web page.

Dr.Ballard's project

After visiting Britannic's wreck in 1995,Dr.Robert Ballard had an impressive idea that may change the way we look at shipwrecks.Considerering that the wreck is in relatively shallow waters and it's very well preserved,he proposed the creation of a virtual underwater museum using sofisticated video cameras installed in key points inside the ship.The images would be transmitted in "real time" to a receiving station at Kea and then to the Internet.This way everyone would have access to the world's greatest sunken liner.The tecnology for this project already exists although it would be quite difficult to make it happen.

There are certain problems that must be taken into consideration:

PAYBACK OF THE INITIAL COSTS: The video equipment alone is really expensive and will also require qualified divers (and many dives) to install  it on the wreck.Then there is the receiving station at Kea (land,facilities,electronic equipment,tecnicians) and the maintenance of  the system (see below).Someone must pay for all this.Most possibly there will be created a pay-site or a non-profit organization.Will that be enough to cover the initial costs?
 MAINTENANCE: Electronics can fail in normal environment,immagine what can happen under tons of water.If there is a problem someone must dive down there to fix it.
 PUBLIC INTEREST: Would people pay to see the Britannic on the Inernet and maintain the facilities of the museum?Britannic was a great ship and in addition she  was Titanic's sistership.But Britannic will never be Titanic for a long list of reasons.Actually I don't think any ship -past or future- will  manage to replace her in our hearts.Great part of Britannic's magic lies on the fact that we know so little about her.If everyone can have access to the wreck -even virtual- what will happen?There'll be an initial enthousiasm but then interest will slowly start to decline.It's the law of the market.
 LONG-TERM DANGERS: Britannic won't last forever.Eventually will start to collapse like her famous sistership.What will happen to the video equipment is easy to immagine.

Source: http://www.hospitalshipbritannic.com/museum.htm

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2007, 12:11:51 »

looks like a good link, but To be honest, i didnt have time to read all of it, but no doubt it mentions that she is hell to get into. remember when they were trying to get into the firemans passage? It was hell fire. Anyway, whtever happed to HMS Scilla? Surely she'd be a viable start?
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 23:17:33 »

well there is lots of steam railways around in england and there is many steam train excursions here in dublin aswell. They are presevered. Also is the Normadic or Nomadic the only presevred steam ship around. is there any great coal fire steam ships around or even oil fired????
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Remember The Elite Officers that perished on that night:

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Officer Henry Tingle Wilde
First Officer William McMaster Murdoch
Sixth Officer James Paul Moody
Chief Engineer Jo

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 01:08:39 »

looks like a good link, but To be honest, i didnt have time to read all of it, but no doubt it mentions that she is hell to get into. remember when they were trying to get into the firemans passage? It was hell fire. Anyway, whtever happed to HMS Scilla? Surely she'd be a viable start?

Which HMS Scylla are you refering to? There have been five ships in the RN to bear that name:
1) An 18-gun brig-sloop launched in 1809 and broken up 1846.
2) A wooden screw corvette launched in 1856 and sold for breakup in 1882.
3) A 2nd class cruiser in service from 1891 to 1914.
4) A cruiser launched in 1940, seriously damaged by a mine in 1944, and sold in 1950.
5) A Leander class frigate in service from 1970 to 1993, and sunk as an artificial reef in 2004 off of the SW coast near Plymouth.
Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Keith Goldie

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 04:43:04 »

Hate to sound pendantic fellow ship simmers but "respectless" aint a real word..dis-respect is .  ;)

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 05:36:01 »

Hate to sound pendantic fellow ship simmers but "respectless" aint a real word..dis-respect is .  ;)

Haha, so true. But neither is "Aint". It's "Ain't". =]]
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 13:10:06 »

What does "pendantic" mean, please?  ???
Not to be found with google translate.
Luc
Edit :Thanks , [RWP]DJM
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 14:32:38 by LucAtC »

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 13:16:39 »

What does "pendantic" mean, please?  ???
Not to be found with google translate.
Luc

I believe he means Pedantic ;):

Overly concerned with minute details.

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 14:15:42 »

well there is lots of steam railways around in england and there is many steam train excursions here in dublin aswell. They are presevered. Also is the Normadic or Nomadic the only presevred steam ship around. is there any great coal fire steam ships around or even oil fired????

Nomadic ;). Yes, she's the last White Star Line's ship afloat. Nomadic was a tender carrier for the Titanic.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 21:32:21 »

Err. Excuse me but did you not note the Dutch flag next to his name? Can you speak Dutch yourself and say disrespectful in gramatically perfect Dutch? No. OK

Whilst we are on the subject, Pedantic has only one N in it.

Funny, we were just talking about language barriers elsewhere. Try reading it, you might learn something.

Suart

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 15:56:58 »

Haha, so true. But neither is "Aint". It's "Ain't". =]]

It's not "ain't", it's "are not". :D

Hate to sound pendantic fellow ship simmers but "respectless" aint a real word..dis-respect is .

And seeing as those are not the right words for the sentence, it should be "is not". ;D

This site can be so technical at times. :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 16:00:07 by Captain Davies »

Sureshot

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 19:21:04 »

I don't know why I think it's respectless... It's just... Many people died on the Titanic, it wouldn't be so nice to make the whole scene* again, would it?

* wrong word for it, right? >_>

They already did it with Titanic Adventure Out of Time. You even got to experince the sinking and try to escape. i have the game and its great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic:_Adventure_Out_of_Time

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 19:23:55 by Sureshot »

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2007, 21:10:45 »

They already did it with Titanic Adventure Out of Time. You even got to experince the sinking and try to escape. i have the game and its great.

I'm just curious, do you use that game on Win XP ???  I've been looking at it for quite a while now and it says Win '95 only :-\

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2007, 21:31:31 »

I'm just curious, do you use that game on Win XP ???  I've been looking at it for quite a while now and it says Win '95 only :-\

Regards.

DJM.

Yes, it will work on XP. I have the windows/MAC hybrid version, and it works fine on mine. Except for a few random shut-downs on mine. But it's just my computer. I played it on another XP computer and it was fine.
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2007, 21:40:57 »

Yes, it will work on XP. I have the windows/MAC hybrid version, and it works fine on mine. Except for a few random shut-downs on mine. But it's just my computer. I played it on another XP computer and it was fine.

Excellent, thank you :D

Regards.

DJM.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 08:40:25 »

In fact, Britannic's propellors could of still be running When the famous lifeboat propellor incident occurred, the vessel was still far enough above the water to feasibly have steam running through the ships system. I mean, let us recall, Barlett ordered Britannic flank speed to Kea Island after she first explosion, which I personally credit to a mine (and there is much proof for this theory), however, as the vessel began to rapidly list, Barlett ordered the engines be ceased and that crew aid in the evacuation of the ship. It was evident, via both witness reports and with the known characteristics of the captain and crew, that I doubt much care was given to shutting down the systems. I think just a quick drop and run was the order of the moment. HA HA! Sad, but true.

Also, if you analyze the timeline of the sinking, the vessel only sank in about 55 minutes, there is a great possibility that the engines could of still been running around the time the lifeboat prop incident was believed to of happened. It was said that the timeline of events went:

Time of IMPACT APPROX 8:10AM (according to several report)
8:13-8:15 (3-5 minutes after impact) Bartlett orders ahead full to Kea Island
8:25 (13-15 minutes after impact) Bartlett cancels order and has all efforts to get passengers and crew off of the vessel
9:05am (55 minutes after impact) Britannic is reported to disappear from the surface.

It was said that the incident of the prop and lifeboat incident was 5-10 minutes before the vessel went completely under (again based on witness reports), that places the incident at about 8:55-9:00am. I believe it was likely more like approx. 5-10 minutes before the reported time.

Regardless, that still shows there is enough time to consider that the props could possibly still be running. However, I would doubt they were still spinning at the time the vesel went completely under.

Thoughts?
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:38 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic:_Adventure_Out_of_Time

I used to have this game. MAN it was fun. But the lack of people walking around on the ship made it feel very lonely . . .
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:16 »

Some of the artwork was simply fantastic, as well.
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2007, 08:45:18 »

I think unless the engineering crew were all killed (possible) the first priority for them would have been to bleed the steam off.

It's not a good idea letting superheated steam come into contact with incoming cold water. It tends to explode. So it is normal to bleed it off. They certainly wouldn't run the props once the abandon order came.

Stu

Actually, there are many reports and theories that a second explosion on Britannic took place, the culbrit being such a situation as you described. They could of opened some, or possibly all the dampers, however, that does not mean entirely the vessel would lose ability to have her props spinning.
-Dave

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines