Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 20:16:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thanks to v-step  (Read 2685 times)

Lynx101

• Forum member
thanks to v-step
« on: January 13, 2008, 18:55:00 »

I would just like to say a big thanks to v-step!!! All the upgrades and patches I think is amazing and all for free! The patch that gave us two more ships was great, I would have paid for that! The upgrade for the ss06 addon is free and very nice of v-step. They seem to want to make their customers happy as a priority unlike some companies who are fixated on money. One suggestion is that they release a software development kit of some ind alowing people to make their own ship models etc to create an even bigger ship sim community and increase the enjoyment that people can get from their amazing game/simulation!!! And another thing, I found the game to be alot cheaper then other newly released games, I paid £29.99 for it before christmas, which is good compared to other new games at £40-£50. great game, love it!
thanks a lot V-STEP

TerryRussell

Re: thanks to v-step
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 21:31:21 »

Hi Lynx101.

Welcome to the Forums.  hope you find everything you need here.

I agree with all that you said. I've suggested several times that Vstep should think about charging for the upgrades. They could issue bug-fixes separately an dnot charge for those, but the additional functions should be charged for, I think. That would encourage them to develop SS08 while getting an income for their hard work.

bowie

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 14:17:03 »

I disagree a bit. i think that a game should be released with it being complete and there being no need for any patches as soon as it comes out. i think it would have been a scandal for vstep to charge money for any of the first patches as most of them were bug fixes anyway. just my opinion  :)

TJK

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 16:06:32 »

I disagree a bit. i think that a game should be released with it being complete and there being no need for any patches as soon as it comes out. i think it would have been a scandal for vstep to charge money for any of the first patches as most of them were bug fixes anyway. just my opinion  :)

Ok. I was very exited about SS08 but then I was dissapointed. what the HECK? there are more ships on SS06 then SS08! is this some kind of joke? the point of releasing a new game is to make it better then the last one! but SS06 is better then SS08? more then 10 more ships (good ones to)? What is this noncence? Can I trade my sso8 for ss06 please?

I would just like to say a big thanks to v-step!!! All the upgrades and patches I think is amazing and all for free! The patch that gave us two more ships was great, I would have paid for that! The upgrade for the ss06 addon is free and very nice of v-step. They seem to want to make their customers happy as a priority unlike some companies who are fixated on money. One suggestion is that they release a software development kit of some ind alowing people to make their own ship models etc to create an even bigger ship sim community and increase the enjoyment that people can get from their amazing game/simulation!!! And another thing, I found the game to be alot cheaper then other newly released games, I paid £29.99 for it before christmas, which is good compared to other new games at £40-£50. great game, love it!
thanks a lot V-STEP

Wat is there about some of the English people, Negative why is the with your English one, well not all and tanks for that
Be happy and be more positive
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 16:08:45 by TJK »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 18:39:29 »

Patches are perfectly normal. I do agree that bugfixes should be free of charge, as you do indeed pay for a complete functioning product. But hardly any game is released totally bugfree. And you have to take into account that publishers will want to set a date for release. And it's not an exact science. They can't say "We'll have it absolutely finished and bugfree in  so-and-so many months". You never know in advance what you might run into, specially when you're creating a relatively 'unique' new product without years and years of experience like the very big companies have.

Just my thoughts..

Regards,
Fred

budbud

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 19:00:12 »

Hi,
Sorry I must have missed a thing but what do you refer to when you say :
The patch that gave us two more ships
?
C'est curieux ce besoin que les marins ont de faire des phrases!

Lynx101

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 19:09:09 »

The first patch that gave us the hovercraft and jetski

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 20:10:40 »

I stand by what I said in my welcome to Lynx101.

Bug fixes should probably be free. But all of the added functions, new ships and so on are a bonus.

I think it's quite deplorable when people complain that the free gifts aren't good enough for them. It's like opening a Christmas present from your Aunty and saying to her "Ugh! I don't think this is good enough for me!"

And to anyone who says it isn't free, because you have to download the upgrades, that's like also saying to your kndly aunt "I wasted my time opening youir present. I demand something better".

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 21:09:18 »

Agreed, mostly.  :)

Though I must add, that a lot of game developers give their customers free gifts with some new content. So although I think it would acceptable if they'd charge for all new content, it's also sometimes just good for sales to give your loyal customers a present.  Word of mouth marketing and all that...  :)

I play the IL2 series a lot too, and there's been a lot of free patches with new content (aswell as fixes). But the really nice and big upgrades have always cost money. But you'll be much more happy to spend it on them as you're really content with them for giving you those presents along the way.

Personally I would buy any upgrade if they would charge, but keep in mind that a lot of people have different thoughts and you want them as a customer too. Charging for everything would - in my opinion - be less effective for sales then giving some out for free, and some for money. But hey, I don't have hard evidence so that's just my hunch. 

As to your download-isn't-free remark. Absolutely silly when people claim such a thing. If they think someone from VSTEP will come to their house and deliver the free gift on a gold plated CD-ROM, they must be shot. That gene pool must dry up... ;D  ;D

Fred

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 21:37:16 »

Hi Fred.

As to your download-isn't-free remark. Absolutely silly when people claim such a thing. If they think someone from VSTEP will come to their house and deliver the free gift on a gold plated CD-ROM, they must be shot. That gene pool must dry up... ;D  ;D

Fred

And yet, I had exactly that response when I made the above statements a short while ago in another thread (people moaning about hiccups in multiplayer)....

Yes, I agree a few extras are a nice "thank you" to loyal Customers from time to time. But in the case of major upgrades (and I feel that V1.3 was such a thing) I reckon that a charge would be appropriate.

To be honest, I would far rather pay a small fee each year and get a continually improving product, rather than have to drop all of my favorite ships, missions etc every time a new version is released.

Same thing with Windoze if anyone from Microsoft os watching!

budbud

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 21:53:37 »

To all who complain about the imperfections and the bugs of the game, I would simply repeat something I have read in another topic (sorry I can't remember who wrote this) : all games need time to be developped. Remember the first version of flight simulator for those who played it, and compare it to fsX, around 10 years later... who could expect such an evolution? So don't be so in a hurry to throw the stone at vstep...
peace on Earth for better world!  ;D

This is a communiqué from the GDF (Game Developer Fundation)!  :D
C'est curieux ce besoin que les marins ont de faire des phrases!

bowie

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 14:20:38 »

im not complaining as i think the game is brilliant i was only saying that bugfixes should be free  :)

TJK

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 16:58:53 »

im not complaining as i think the game is brilliant i was only saying that bugfixes should be free  :)
Are you paying for them , i download all upgrades en fixes for free
http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/patches.php
and have you the ad don pack for ss06 Yost register in you profile and you get the pack for ss 08 for free to
Regards
TJK
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 17:02:14 by TJK »

bowie

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 16:20:48 »

people said that they wouldve paid for the first patches....but they are mostly bug fixes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines