Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 20:55:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sailing Vessels?  (Read 3820 times)

Dudds

• Forum member
Sailing Vessels?
« on: June 14, 2007, 18:20:20 »

All,

I'm totally new to this forum (having spent many, many enjoyable hours in Virtual Sailor) - my question is, does ShipSim cover sailing vessels or is it motor vessels only?  (Looks like the latter to me.)

???

Captain Davies

• Forum member
Re: Sailing Vessels?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 18:24:24 »

Motor vessels only for now, but sailing vessels are planned.  At the moment it is aimed for the game after SS08.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:26:28 »

Sailing vessels are quite fun so it would be a good addition.

kennyg

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 18:03:34 »

I like sailing yachts and motor yachts too. So I would love for them to put sailing yachts on the game! ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 20:28:39 »

Sailing would be fun, but I still like small RIBS and fast jet boats. (RJ4)

dannyman1995

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 22:30:05 »

i WOULD LIKE TO SEE RIBS AND MAYBE A SAILING YAHCT

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 03:45:48 »

this has been in many posts before,  but since your new i guess you can slide.  Back to the question no sailing vessels and i dont think they are going to have them

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:55:37 »

Right now the wind doesn't even affect the ships but that I think we can hope for in the future. :-\
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 04:20:51 »

Right now the wind doesn't even affect the ships but that I think we can hope for in the future. :-\

It does affect wave direction and bow splash though.

ekto

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:32:20 »

I have sailed my fare share and first I tought that it might be fun to have a sailing game. But to be honest, it's not. I tried the virtual sailor demo, and it was just what I tought, not so fun.

The reason for this is that in sailing, stearing the boat is not the main thing, not even the second. Only in a rough water it comes a bit intresting and demanding. Usually I leave that job to autopilot or someone else on board. And the speed is low. It doesn't feel like that when you are sailing, cause you need to do a lot of thingering to get it moving and when you do, you feel success. I doubt that you could get that fealing in a game. If there is going to be a sailboat in the game, then you need a timeskip function also  ;D

What this game needs is a lot more realistick navigation. A real looking marine chart of the area with fairways, a plotter with functions, and a radar that you can use. Example I use a Raymarine C-series and in that, you get the radar sweep over the chart. You can also accuire a target (cause the sweep is over the chart, you can spot the ships with ease) and then you get range, bearing, target speed, target direction (course), CPA (closest point of approach), and TCPA (time of closest point of approach). It is really useful, cause sailboats are slow and big ships looks slow (but they are not), so you tend to over estimate your speed when crossing a fairway.

Also the missions could be done so, that they would just tell you where is the destination, and then you would need to navigate there for your self (plan a route). If you have a ship that swims deep, you would need to stay in the fairways deep enough, or else you would crash.

Tom-RCCL

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 05:40:36 »

Yes, I totally agree, Sailing ships and sailing yachts would be GREAT! I would like to see a variety different
sailing ships, wooden ships from earlier era's and the modern sailing ships like the gorch fock and the Barque Eagle.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:54:11 »

Sailing vessels aren't the purpose of Ship Simulator indeed. I don't know if it's planned one day.

If you are interested in sailing vessels, I think Virtual Skipper would be the best choice !

http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/

Nathan|C

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:51 »

As Denis said there is already a sailing sim. I think ShipSim should stick to the larger Motor Vessels for now. If you like sailing boats though, Virtual Sailor is good:

www.hangsim.com/vs

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 13:15:24 »

If you are really interested in sailing, I think virtual skipper is far better ... I really don't like very much VS  :)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 14:07:54 »

For sailing simulation try "Sail Simulator 4.2" by Stentec software.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 14:31:29 »

Sail Simulator was interesting indeed, but has not been updated since 5 years (last update was released in april 2003), graphics are out of date those days !

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 14:32:34 »

I have virtual skipper and I think it's great, but I can't find the CD. ::)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Tom-RCCL

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 07:48:35 »

Good point, I agree that Ship Sim is mainly for motor vessels, I wouldn't want to see it turned into another sailing sim,

However, It would be nice to have at least one option to sail a ship (not sail boat) for variety.
And if nothing else, sail boats and sailing ships make for nice background scenery in the harbor.

Cheers,

precar

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 21:46:09 »

Also see their download page and user made section,   as have made most of the West  UK coastline for it in sections plus content.
c1800. using dem data. 
Next version 5, should be out eventually inc. dem editor and ship editor I think,  and I will be continuing with it then.
The forum gives many details of the new version top of page. Barry.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 21:51:13 by precar »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines