Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 23:56:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Larger Sceneries (within reason)  (Read 1736 times)

Barry

Larger Sceneries (within reason)
« on: June 13, 2007, 15:42:21 »

I know this has been discussed before but I think that was in a world context of sailing around the world etc.
At present the actual size of sceneries is fairly small and not sure what the size of the sailing between the ports mentioned will be for the next version.

It has been mentioned a supercomputer etc would be needed to sail around the world but I do know it might be possible to sail around parts of it.

The sceneries and content I make based on satellite and dem data for "another sail simulator" are about 40 to 60 miles each and have made them in seperate sceneries  that overlap a little and  follow on to each other.
I know the concentration  in vstep is on detailed work in the harbours, but in between ports there are farms villages an open countryside, mountains and cliffs etc in reallife.

If the software that vstep uses allows larger sceneries to this size interesting open sea journeys could be made. Don't know how the programming works in shipsim but perhaps only what can be seen on screen is perhaps being read into memory or sections of a scenery get loaded at intervals? These can have detailed work in the areas needed, and the otehr areas could be as in real life farms, villages, cliffs or whatever, smaller rivers and estuaries.

The same applies to a longer route of say 200-300  miles. These perhaps could be made as seperate sceneries and automatically load into memory like the method use by a 2nd different simulator

Just examples but dependant on how the programming works but at the same time fairly large joined sceneries might be possible, fairly accurately modelled,  over several hundred miles without being a drain on the "average" computer.
This is the point I am puzzled over will future sceneries from vstep all be under 15 to 20 miles or  so?

Barry

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 15:58:38 by Barry »

Wout

• Forum member
Re: Larger Sceneries (within reason)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 21:34:14 »

Regarding your last question: no. What new scenery for ss2008 and further is going to look like is not totally clear yet. The game will keep expending the scenery, that's quite sure.

But indeed, this topic is on other places as well. Please use those topics to continue the discussion.
Wout
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines