Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 09:07:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An idea for when world travel is possible in game.  (Read 5373 times)

Captain Davies

• Forum member
An idea for when world travel is possible in game.
« on: June 11, 2007, 18:52:55 »

I think it would be a good idea if in one version (and all others after that) Vstep release the world for you to sail but only parts of it will have detailed ports, the rest is bare land.  At the same time they will release an editor (like the boat editor they will release for ss08 whenever) which will allow you to place buildings, dock walls and other such things to any point on the map you wish.

The second part of my idea involves the abiltiy to put in a name, then every harbour object you place after that will have that name until you change it.  This way, you can build a port and then save it.  The idea being that all port objects with that port name will be saved together as a port. 

Then you can package them all together and put them up for download so people can download and install the ports they are interested in.  Opening this file once you have saved it will place all those port objects in the place the maker placed them, part of the file will remember this so as to make it possible.  Over time there will be an extensive collection of ports available that will supplement the few new superb ports released by Vstep every new version.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 23:18:10 by Captain Davies »

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: An idea for when world travel is possible in game.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 19:03:06 »

Nice idea
;D

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 19:56:19 »

Great idea! It seems to me, that this would be possible for the version after SS08?
I mean, the technoligy excists, so that couldn't be the problem?
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 21:37:11 »

I agree totally. But remember that Vstep will always be looking at sales figures. What is in it for them?

My ideas:
-Increased sales of base unit due to increased popularity (asin MSTS and MSFS)
-Would we be prepared to pay a bit extra for this feature
-Or would each port need Vstep approval (at a fee) for coding up or whatever?

I personally think that a 'pro' version with the features to do this would be a good thing at a higher price, whilst retaining the standard version at the standard price. That way VStep would get a return on this feature. I guess the economics is down to them.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:28:51 »

We'll have a problem here. The game has to become an online game, loading surroundings will have to be done via the internet. I love the idea, but not even considering the huge servers needed the game will be an online game that updates all the time. It would give the game a whole new character.
Wout

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:34:53 »

We'll be looking at atleast 5-10 years down the track before this...

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 16:07:38 »

I agree totally. But remember that Vstep will always be looking at sales figures. What is in it for them?

My ideas:
-Increased sales of base unit due to increased popularity (asin MSTS and MSFS)
-Would we be prepared to pay a bit extra for this feature
-Or would each port need Vstep approval (at a fee) for coding up or whatever?

I personally think that a 'pro' version with the features to do this would be a good thing at a higher price, whilst retaining the standard version at the standard price. That way VStep would get a return on this feature. I guess the economics is down to them.

Stu

I don't see the problem.  This feature will only serve to attract people to the game and so increase Vsteps income.

Plus I doubt if world travel will even be available for the multiplayer mode.  I imagine it would only be useable for single player, so there would be no problem with everyone having to have the same ports.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 23:19:26 by Captain Davies »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:00:40 »

I don't see the problem.  This feature will only serve to attract people to the game and so increase Vsteps income.

That's OK. Thats the point I was making. As long as there is a rationale behind suggestions and an awareness of the potential pros and cons then it is a good suggestion.

Personally, I would agree with you. I personally (and I doubt everyone would agree) would happily pay a higher price to get a version that allows extra modifications or to add in my own creations etc

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 15:52:27 »

You know, because it's a natural progression of the development of a game such as this, I doubt we would be charged extra for the feature.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 23:09:31 »

Yes, but Vstep is a commercial company.

I'm sure they are realy bothered about whether people enjoy the game even AFTER theyve bought it.

BUT they need to make a profit. Extra work means extra finance. This can come either by expectations of higher sales volume or higher cost per unit.

Remember that the amount you spend is inclusive of VAT, publishers cost, distribution, box, CD pressing, advertising etc. even down to the office costs of VStep.

Suggestions are good and no doubt Vstep is reading some, but to expect them to add bits on without further revenue is quite frankly naive.

Regards
Stuart

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 18:04:42 »

But they won't be doing it without futher revenue because this feature will make more people want to buy the game, increasing sales of the game and so sending more money Vstep's way.  I've already explained this at least once before, there's no need to call me naive. ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 18:07:07 by Captain Davies »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 22:04:12 »

Yes, Capt D. I know. And I was agreeing with you- with certain provisos. But it is whether those extra sales actually materialise and how many that Vstep would consider.

It is easy to say 'add this, get X extra sales'. But there is never a gauarantee of this. I think you are right though, to a point.

Stu

EDIT: Apologies if naive offends you. I withdraw the comment.

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 16:23:16 »

The simle fact is that Vstep seems to think it is economically viable to put a Ship Editor in the next game so this should be too. I imagine that if there is enough demand on the forums for the feature I suggested then it is likely to be worthwile for Vstep to include it, ideas taken from here usually are.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 23:23:24 by Captain Davies »

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 16:28:52 »

JHB are making the Norwegian coast to Virtual Sailor! :) Mabye he can make some ports for norway to SS08 :)

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 19:16:40 »

That'd be great!  ;D

Ship Sim

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 19:37:30 »

Maby they could make the world one part at a time. ;) They could use a height map for the land. couldnt they :-\

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 15:05:23 »

They could indeed.  That's probably what Microsoft did with their Flight Simulator and its world maps.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 22:42:21 by Captain Davies »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 20:08:44 »

They could indeed.  That's probably what Microsoft did with their Flight Simulator and it's world maps.

Capt D. I change my mind totally. I think it could be one of the better suggestions yet.

Stu

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 22:43:39 »

Why thank you Stuart, I'm glad.  May I asked what it was that changed your mind?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 11:12:34 »

Two reasons.

1. The strength of feeling on the subject- mabe enough to generate the extra sales needed for the extra work (I don't know- I'm not the developer)

2. The quality of some of the add ons for other boat sims. HAve seen some real c**p for msfs and msts hobby add ons, but some of the add ons made for vs etc are really good.

Still think if you want Vstep to take it seriously they'd need to be convinced it will generate extra sales for it. But I'm with you on this one now.

Stu

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 11:37:28 »

World travel... The game already takes about 5 minutes to load, for a simple mission. How much will it be when you can sail around the whole world... ?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 11:45:40 »

Like flight sim, it would only load the area you are in.

IIRC flight sim loads your 'frequent' areas and the rest stay on the CD.

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines