Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 06:40:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tides  (Read 2871 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Tides
« on: June 11, 2007, 00:31:39 »

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before, but (at the risk of asking one to many things) are tides included in SS?

Not that it is essential, just realised what looks wrong in the Portsmouth video- no mud flats.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

muns

• Forum member
Re: Tides
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 00:43:47 »

Good point Stuart.

andy_m

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 00:58:48 »

Yeah that would be cool especially in free roam...play long enough and the tide goes out making re-entering port a whole new challenge!  ;D
And on the subject of Pompey....seeing as its one of the two main RN bases in the UK, any chance of having some static (and eventually PLEASE  :P dynamic) warships?
Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 02:26:06 »

Wow that's an awesome point! Hope it comes true soon, though, would be extreeeemly hard to program into simulator, if not in initial release maybe patch later...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:16:36 by Captain Kool »

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 11:59:11 »

jeez-that would sure be cool. if not only in a patch. i could run aground with perfect realism! this ould alos be an opportunity to show of the depthometer (sorry, its proper name WILL come to me sometime today! ;D) As a sloping beach/mud flat/otherwise would be a good practice.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 14:56:21 »

Hmmm, this is very intersting! It would be great to have tide's in the game.
However, in SS06 we do have a kind of tide, only the water doesn't go up and down. But we do have up-stream and down-stream. That's nice for starters. Let's just hope, the dev's can work out a "working" tide, with high and low water, accordingly changing streams, etc.

And yes, a depth-sounder would be nice to have in that case, since a run aground with the Titanic @ Phi Phi-islands.... ::)
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

Barry

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 17:25:48 »

Hi I asked about tides ages ago and "apparently" complex to program realistically so maybe in a later version?

Not very realistic without tides.
Up to 9 to 10  metre tides at Liverpool UK with a strong tidal flow!
A floating landing stage is used.
The Pilot boat used to meet the ships as the "bar". to bring the ships in.
Don't know what happens now.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 17:28:17 by Barry »

chrism

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 19:55:00 »

yeh, it would be kewl when you hit mud and the water turned brown and ur props start making noises and you almost get stuck then have to call a tug.
maybe not possible but a kew idea for the future

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 21:29:24 »

yeh, it would be kewl when you hit mud and the water turned brown and ur props start making noises and you almost get stuck then have to call a tug.
maybe not possible but a kew idea for the future

And there could even be an animation of you being before the fleet commodore and sacked ;)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Harry G

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 17:31:12 »

I'd like to see tides in SS08 but to be fair, it's asking a little bit to much from the developers at this stage.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 23:45:47 »

Is it anymore absurd than any of the other suggestions herein?

I think you are right though in our level of expectation, which is why we make these comments. Vstep people do seem to keep a finger on the pulse in this forum and read comments. They may well pick some of the popular ones.

Undoubtedly some of the features of 08 have been following discreet research here. ie something with 100s of replies that is popular is more likely to get into a future issue than something with no replies.

We must alays remember that it is only suggestions or ideas and NEVER make demands!

Stu

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 07:05:42 »

"yeh, it would be kewl when you hit mud and the water turned brown and ur props start making noises and you almost get stuck then have to call a tug." by chrism

I Agree Chrism, however I believe that creating the muddy water would be a little difficult converting the aqua blue to mud brown. Yet the noise SF (Sound effects) of the props hitting ground and the hull creaking and groaning would be much easier... just a simple (well not really) sound clip like in SS06 when you ran ground.

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse
The lighthouse, added in the 1820s to aid navigation for vessels using the deep water channels. It is still in use today and plays a central role in the navigational system for ships entering coastal Harbours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines