Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 18:47:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom missions and ranks???  (Read 7902 times)

CarlisleII

• Forum member
Custom missions and ranks???
« on: December 16, 2007, 20:36:50 »

Hello,

I just got my mission editor installed and was wondering if I could create my own mission and develope ranks for my profile. I created a mission where you take the Red Eagle ferry through the solent to the ferry terminals and would like to develope passenger ratings through my own mission. If that makes sense :)

Thank you for the help

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Custom missions and ranks???
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 20:51:25 »

Passenger point things? You can't make your own i'm afraid. VSTEP think that people would just "misuse" them :)

CarlisleII

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 20:59:40 »

Im not exactly sure what passenger point things are, but what im trying to do is to get create my own ferry mission and get like captain on my rank, beacuse ive been playing the missions that come with the sim, and would like to create my own passenger missions and achieve rank from them

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 21:00:49 »

I see. you can't set them yourself like I said. Only people like Rooster24 can :)

Sorry,
SA

CarlisleII

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 21:04:25 »

Hrmmm can I acieve captain from the missions already set in the game?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 21:16:39 »

You want your custom missions, when completed correctly, to count towards your rank?

If that's so... I don't know. I will try and find out.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 21:23:43 »

Hi Carlisle11
If you want to get to Captain, open up the missions list and see which missions score for which of the five shown in your profile. You CAN get to the top rank in all five just from the missions in the game. However Custom missions do not add to your rankings, or at least not up to now. I'm not sure about the future though. :) If you select a mission it tells you which of  the five ranks will be added to when you complete it. Hope that helps. ::)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 21:31:52 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 21:28:14 »

Well done Angus...  :)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 21:30:21 »

Gee thanks Stu ;D ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 21:32:43 »

Gee thanks Stu ;D ;D
flaming know it all  :D

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 21:34:25 »

Stuart,
I wish I was, I could be rich then!! ::)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 21:37:39 »

Wise man say "Money root of all evil" and he has a point, being rich isn't all it's cracked up to be... (I'm told)

But wise man live in cave in Tibet. Without electrickery and TV... So how wise can he be?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 21:45:30 »

I'd really like to try! Seriously though I have found a lot of pleasure out of just having enough. My cave is nice and warm, it has plenty of electrickery and some  smelly stuff that comes in a pipe! But you see at my age I can't afford to get cold. :'( ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 21:51:34 »

I think that a change is in the works for the way missions are submitted and checked. Possibly this may involve a better way in which rank is obtained from specific missions.
I don’t think that the creator of a mission should be able to gain rank from that mission.
There are some changes to the mission editor that could aid in making missions more cheat proof—specifically making it unnecessary to complete some EX waypoints to complete the mission. Another is correcting the fact that damage can be repaired by simply saving and restarting.
Marty

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 22:35:22 »

I'd really like to try! Seriously though I have found a lot of pleasure out of just having enough. My cave is nice and warm, it has plenty of electrickery and some  smelly stuff that comes in a pipe! But you see at my age I can't afford to get cold. :'( ;)

They say 'age comes with wisdom'... My God, how I wish I was still stupid.

Stu

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 23:03:49 »

Who will not resist to answer that?
Luc

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 23:21:53 »

Who will not resist to answer that?
Luc

Anyone who wants to keep his head in the approximate vicinity of his shoulders  ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 01:13:36 »

Even I would not touch that one.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:35 »

They say 'age comes with wisdom'... My God, how I wish I was still stupid.

Stu

Even I would not touch that one.

I will ;D

You know what they say Stu "Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it" ;)

I suspect that you may have been wishing for that one too much already :P :D

:o Did I really say that in public :o
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 13:29:05 »

Anyway - when you do get to be a whole Captain type person be sure to save a backup of your profile before going online to update it or this might just happen:-

"Yesterday I reached the rank of Passenger Captain. Today, after a few missions I still had this, plus improvements to the Motorboat class and Tug class (I can't remember exactly what but the symbols showed extra decoration.
All well and good, but I have just connected to the internet and uploaded them. (I did this with my other computer which is where I play SS08). Before connecting I exited the programme to arm my firewall etc. and then restarted it.
To my horror the act of uploading has somehow demoted me to First Officer - Passengers and robbed me of a star and a stripe elsewhere. Restarting the game has confirmed that things have now 'stuck' at that. By the way I haven't damaged anything or missed any waypoints etc. in today's missions.
Oh well - back to scrubbing the decks I suppose!"

I ain't sure if it was an act of God, of VSTEP, or Firefox (a sneaky update at the wrong moment perhaps). In any case beware. (By the way I think Marmite (in moderation) is a good thing).
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 14:44:21 »

I will ;D

You know what they say Stu "Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it" ;)

I suspect that you may have been wishing for that one too much already :P :D

:o Did I really say that in public :o

I can wish away, but stupidity always eludes me. I wonder if anyone can donate their stupidity to me... There appears to be an awful lot of it in society these days.

(Present forum company excepted of course).

Anyway, apologies for going off topic. I shall remove myself from it worthwith.

Stu

TerryRussell

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 16:19:18 »

Hi Stu.

Did you ever find if there was a way that ranks could be assigned from "home grown" missions? I understand why Vstep would want to keep that facility to themselves, but here's a thought:

If the Global Moderrators or some other assigned set of people thought a new mission was good enough, could they be granted the power (or software) to modify the mission and assign rankings? That would surely promote the buy-in of this community to stratospheric levels. It would also help improve the level of programming and testing in some cases (I exclude everyone who ever reads or hears about this message from that group, of course)

Hey, you! Get that ship out of the stratosphere!

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 16:21:59 »

And the more dedicated amongst us should be prepared for the submission and ranking process, of course. This would take time and effort from those involved, but contributes to the standing of those sumitting the missions.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 16:36:28 »

Hello,
Nice ideas, indeed. Taking the same words, as [RWP]DJM said:
"Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it",
Do you intend to make your missions public too?
Regards,
Luc

TerryRussell

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 16:53:18 »

Hi Luc.

Yes, I think I would do that.

I have just worked on my first ever mission. I took DJM's first-ever mission and with his agreement, added AI, trigger points, fog bank around Alcatraz and so on), and I think it was quite good - "San Francisco Emergencies2" - needs add-on pack. I am now working on "Hovercraft in San Francisco", partly because DJM said he likes the hovercraft but mainly because I love the hovercraft.

I have produced many "missions" for MS Train Sim, and the Ship Sim is similar in concept. So the learning curve won't be too steep, I hope. Also, I am an experienced skipper (South Coast of England, living in Selsey, at the eastern end of the Solent) so I hope that will bring some realism to my missions.

My pet hate is missions that have so much AI that it is impossible to move. The sea just isn't like that (except around here during Cowes week).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines