Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 00:42:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RMS Queen Mary  (Read 3577 times)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
RMS Queen Mary
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:31:47 »

Why is she so popular? And why is her tragically lost, larger sister not so . . . popular? I am kind of curious as to people's thoughts on this.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: RMS Queen Mary
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:32:34 »

I seem to recall that QM won the blue riband and then lost it to an american or french ship and then won it back a year later.

I don't know of any other ship that has held the trophy twice.

She is/was the last proper british liner. Despite claims that QE2 was, really she spent most of her time as a cruise liner anyway.

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 19:23:05 »

Normandie did it, RMS Queen  Mary was not the only one.
RMS Queen Elizabeth, like SS France and Normandie suffered from an ill fate that destroyed their image in their country of origin, being somewhat despised by a frustrated public. "The harder they fall".
It had nothing to do with Greek tragedies, remembered in the name Titanic, perhaps well with Shakespearian comedies.
Regards
Luc

I just find it interesting that two similar looking vessels are treated so differently. I understand the fate difference . . . Hrm, interesting . . . I personally am a fan of the 'Elizabeth more than the 'Mary, in terms of her style and appearance.
-Dave

cpt.Young

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 21:32:46 »

it was a fine ship
as the person

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 22:19:16 »

Indeed, they both were, but I think there has got to be something that makes the 'Mary more popular, despite that she is still afloat and her sister is not. I am simply curious.
-Dave

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 00:13:33 »

If I understand...

The QM was up for scrap, and the state of California bought it as a tourist attraction.

The QE was sold for a similar fate (hotel) before the group went broke and she was sold to a university, before being destroyed by fire.

Had it not been for the fire, she probably would have had a similar fate to QM.

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 00:50:55 »

If I understand...

The QM was up for scrap, and the state of California bought it as a tourist attraction.

The QE was sold for a similar fate (hotel) before the group went broke and she was sold to a university, before being destroyed by fire.

Had it not been for the fire, she probably would have had a similar fate to QM.

Stuart

You are correct. The QE to be made a traveling university. Quite a novel idea, especially on such a beauty as her.
-Dave

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:43:32 »

Why is she so popular? And why is her tragically lost, larger sister not so . . . popular? I am kind of curious as to people's thoughts on this.

I heard that people thought she was a more homely ship. The QE had darker interior and colours than the Mary. That's what I heard.

SA

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 21:50:45 »

You are correct. The QE to be made a traveling university. Quite a novel idea, especially on such a beauty as her.

The problem with your viewpoint, in my opinion (and I actually agree with you) is that if we were to keep EVERY ship, car, train, bus, truck, building that was special, pretty etc etc then we would have a planet full of museums.

It would have been great if two twins had been preserved together but that would have just halved the amount spent on each one in upkeep.

Stu

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 23:17:12 »

It is possible to have too much of a good thing.  Too many old vessels and other historical memerobilia would detract from the value (both financially and historically) of these hostoric jems everywhere.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 09:31:08 »

It is possible to have too much of a good thing.  Too many old vessels and other historical memerobilia would detract from the value (both financially and historically) of these hostoric jems everywhere.

That is a good point, indeed. However, i have just noticed in terms of the eye of history, gamers here, and historians alike that the 'Mary is a much more popular vessel.

I imagine some of what Shipaddict had to say had good value. Despite that these two vessels were sisters, they did in some ways have a variety of differences in terms of interior styling that may of been what made or broke each particular vessel in the eyes of certain consumers.
-Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines