Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 17:34:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: does the ship sinks realistic?  (Read 6359 times)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
does the ship sinks realistic?
« on: June 02, 2007, 11:55:32 »

i was asking myself if the schips are sinking realisitic in 2008, like i already read in a other topic, ships can sink in part 2008.
but is it also that the ship can hang slant?
that would be amazing, i saw other programs with ships in it and then they sank straight into the water, even there were a hole in the front.

Freestyleforce

• Forum member
Re: does the ship sinks realistic?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 13:01:08 »

Hmm.. I was asking myself the same...  ???
Currently active on: Battlefield 2142... But I can't wait for SS 2008! :D

Gustav

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 17:22:25 »

We'll have to wait and see. :)
Sincerely Gustav.

"All religions must be accepted, Because every man must come to heaven the way he see fit". Whilhelm 2 "Whilhelm Grobe"

Nescit Occasum

CG Rocker

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 02:01:45 »

Yeah I was wondering that myself. If it sinks like in 10 seconds or more real like 30 mins ect.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 13:17:46 »

Does that not depend on the ship...

Some ships spend hours or even days afloat, some go straight under.

A ship sinking in 30 seconds can still be quite realistic

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 13:24:48 »

Titanic took 2 hours, Lusitania took under half an hour- though they were both basically of equal size. The time taken depends not only on the size and weight of the vessel, but also primarily where and how it is faulted.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 17:23:01 »

It's just how big of a hole it got  ;) When there is al hole as bigg as a pink it would take a while with the titanic. But when there's a gap of 100 mtrs it would be a different story would you think.

But I would like to see vids, or pics, of ships sinking and the damage. But because it is still under construction we had to wait for those.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 19:34:00 »

Surely other factors are also relevant

1. Did all the water tight doors get shut correctly?
2. Were the bilge pumps operable
3. How much cargo/ passengers on board
4. The location & temperature (salt water denser than fresh etc)

Did Lusitania have as good water tight bulkheads as Titanic?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 20:05:23 »

Surely other factors are also relevant

1. Did all the water tight doors get shut correctly?
2. Were the bilge pumps operable
3. How much cargo/ passengers on board
4. The location & temperature (salt water denser than fresh etc)

Did Lusitania have as good water tight bulkheads as Titanic?

Stu

Well I don't think that it will be as complex as youre saying in the game :D First let them work out the sinking part. And in 2009/2010 there will be complex sinking  ;)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 21:13:23 »

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting it SHOULD be that complicated. Just suggesting factors that could affect the sink rate.

Personally, I would prefer to avoid sinkings and would make do with a sign saying 'game over'

Stu

CG Rocker

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 04:04:08 »

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting it SHOULD be that complicated. Just suggesting factors that could affect the sink rate.

Personally, I would prefer to avoid sinkings and would make do with a sign saying 'game over'

Stu
I don't think a sign saying "game over" seems very much like a simulator. I don't think sinking will be that complicated untill later versions.

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 10:36:31 »

A sign just saying "Game Over" would be pretty boring... as thats what the old games do.
It would be realistic if it will take its time to come down (depending on size of whole and weight on ship).

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 11:48:32 »

Ah I see... So you can sit and watch the ship sink. OK fair enough...

If we want to see it realistic, then shouldnt we see an animation of the skipper racing to the boats and putting the passengers in (or if its a ********** cruise ship then see the skipper jump  in the lifeboat and stuff the passengers).

Stu
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 21:37:05 by Stuart2007 »

matt105

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 10:16:50 »

Hmm stu that would be kinda cool  :P

Matt

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 11:56:58 »

(or if its a ***** cruise ship then see the skipper jump  in the lifeboat and stuff the passengers).

Comments like this can offend some people, please keep personal comments about race/nationality away from these forums please.

Regards.

DJM.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 22:04:03 by [RWP]DJM »
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 21:36:38 »

Yes, you are quite right. Apologies to anyone who is offended by my comment about the officers from certain countries being the first off the ship.

I know this is well documented and does happen. But in the interest of fairness, the peoples in question have a very long history of sailing and were amongst the first to navigate by sun and stars.

I have removed the reference to the country concerned, but I've made the point.

Stuart

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 22:05:18 »

I have removed the reference to the country concerned, but I've made the point.

Thank you :)

I have also edited my post to reflect the editing you made to yours.

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

CG Rocker

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 02:47:01 »

Lifeboats would be a very nice addition to the game. If this was added into the game, there could be a mission where your ship is sinking and you have to manage the evacuation while also trying to pilot the rescue ship.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 21:49:42 »

Would these requirements be met with a high resolution animation as opposed to a 3d world to navigate?

Just a thought.

Stu

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 05:38:23 »

I would be mighty bored if I had to wait for my ship to sink in order for me to continue on a fresh start. I mean it certainly is a cool feature, but when you know the ship is sinking, the only way I could see it being applicable to the game is if you have the option of attempting to ground the ship on a sandbar or beach in order to save it, in a sense making the reef or the beach a waypoint.

Perhaps an option to evacuate the ship into a lifeboat, as CG mentioned above, and seek a waypoint of refuge, like the M/T Latitude or the containership.

ANYTHING but sitting there watching your ship sink would be good for future versions.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:40:17 by Kmetzman »
"The sea is selective; slow in recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit."

William Bensch

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 10:03:39 »

For me : i dont give a hick how ships sink....or how it looks...

better use the space in the game  for  other goodies to add...imho.

ships are for shipping..not for sinkin

prolly u like sinkin screatcing underwater-noise too as a sound to be added with it...

and bubblles arise and submerge and empty deckchairs...
 and debris floating around and lots of empty life-saving jackets and after it sunk....

get a life... :-\

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 19:33:39 »

A ship sinking in 30 seconds can still be quite realistic

Stu
I think HMS Hood came close to that.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 23:23:09 »

Titanic took 2 hours, Lusitania took under half an hour- though they were both basically of equal size. The time taken depends not only on the size and weight of the vessel, but also primarily where and how it is faulted.

I understand Lusitania sank quickly because of an "explosion" which ripped apart her hull after the torpedeo made its fatal contact. I can't remember if it was due to the build-up of gas vapour from coal bunkers being ignited or allegedly she was carrying a secret cargo of ammunition for the British war effort.

I try not to sink my vessel in SS2008 (very realistic if I might add) and if anyone don't like waiting while the ship is  sinking slowly, they can always press the "reset mission" button at bottom right of the screen. Beaching a ship (to prevent sinking) does not make any difference as I've tried that before.

Kev
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Kmetzman

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 05:00:55 »

Beaching a ship (to prevent sinking) does not make any difference as I've tried that before.

Kev

Sure it works. Many a sinking ship has been run onto a sandbar or beach my their Masters to prevent sinking. They are refloated and towed to yards for repair. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but it has worked for sure.
"The sea is selective; slow in recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit."

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:07 »

I think Kev meant that it does not work in the game. At present there is no way to repair vessels in the game. Getting the vessel to shallow water can only keep it from disappearing altogether.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines