Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 03:28:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Maneuvering small boats with twin engines  (Read 9493 times)

almack

• Forum member
Maneuvering small boats with twin engines
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:27:21 »

Smaller vessels less than 24 meters with twin engines DO turn on the spot when one engine is in reverse and the other is in forward and they are idling. I have run many vessels and know this. Engines control the direction of a boat during docking and the rudders are never used. I suspect the program is treating the smaller vessels the same as the larger ships when it comes to twin engines and momentum. This removes much of the control when arriving or leaving a dock. When the vessel is coasting the rudders should still turn the vessel but in the simulator they seem to stop after power is removed.

Also is appears the buoys do not follow the rule "red right return from the ocean. When coming into a harbor the red buoys are on the left and they should be on the right. I thought this rule was international.

I do love this program and would like to see it expanded up into the great lakes with some great lake ships. Keep up the great work

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Maneuvering small boats with twin engines
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:49:27 »

Also is appears the buoys do not follow the rule "red right return from the ocean. When coming into a harbor the red buoys are on the left and they should be on the right. I thought this rule was international.

Hi almack,

in fact there are different rules in different areas of the world for bouys.The vessels behaviour will be improved step by step. In my opinion a few things are much better now than before and the developers are working hard to meet our expectations.

Cheers from the other side of the real great lake  ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:52:25 »

Hello Almack,
There are in fact TWO systems of International buoyage. IN USA &  (I think) Canada they use IALA-B system where the red buoys are on the Starboard side of the channel when coming in from sea. In Europe and most of the rest of the world they use IALA-A system where the buoys are reversed. i.e. Green on the starboard side when approaching from sea. SO in fact V-Step is perfectly correct. ;D. As Bottman says it depends on where you are.  :P  It's all done to make life difficult for seafarers. ::) One reminder we used to use years ago in Uk was:- "There is no red port (WINE) left". Go to:- www.sailtrain.co.uk/Buoyage/lateralmarks.htm  Which shows it all far better than I can ::).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 15:30:01 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 13:35:08 »

I do love this program and would like to see it expanded up into the great lakes with some great lake ships. Keep up the great work

The Great Lakes as area would be nice indeed. I myself proposed to add the "Edward L. Ryerson" as ship to the sim.
Ofcourse other Lakers would be nice to, for instance the "Calumet", who made her last trip, and is getting scrapped in the very near future. :( Or the Big Fitz (Edmund Fitzgerald) who sunk in the early '70's. ('73 i beleive?)

Regards,

Ed
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 17:14:39 »

Hi Almack
On this side of the pond, we use US Inland Rules for buoyage. That is not an International standard.
In the Solent, for instance the red buoys are to port when going upstream.
(The Brits have to drive on the wrong side of the road because the steering wheels are on the wrong side of their cars. Since most boats have the steering wheel in the center, I don’t know what their excuse is.) :)
Some small boats in SS have water jet or other azimuthing drives, and lose steering when power is cut.

Marty

dharl

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 17:51:00 »

Hi MV Smith,

All ships drive on the Starboard Side in the UK..as in the rest of the world.   The colour of the bouys change going from system B ( The Americas and parts of the Far East) and System A (rest of the world), but the shape of the buoys stay the same.    ie Can Shape Port hand marks (Red in A and Green in B) and the Stbd Marks are cone shape.   (Green in A and Red in B).    ::)

I was told the reason for the differeance is because in the USA there are more river passages made then in the open water....Not sure if thats true but sort of sounds right!

:D

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 18:05:23 »

Funny how the Americans think we Brits are wrong, we sit on the RIGHT side when driving not the wrong side! The American system (IALA-B) is just because they have to be different!!!! IALA-A has red buoys on the port side to match the red sidelights on the port side. I thought EVERYONE knew that. ::) ;) Even the nomenclature tells the story!!!     IALA-A:-International Association of Lighthouse Authorities- Advanced!!!
IALA-B:-      ..               ..          ..       ..            ..       - Backward!!! ;) ;) ;)

Also we Brits drive on the right side so we can more easily make rude signs to other drivers with our right hands!!! :o :-*
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 19:50:13 by Traddles »

almack

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 00:04:46 »

Thank you all for straightening me out the international buoy system. I have only sailed in Canada and the USA on the Great Lakes.

When you get the small power boat engine maneuvering and the rudder that still has effect when the vessel is still moving sorted out, let me know.

I was traveling around New York and other areas on the jet boat and the scenery is very good and solid. You guys did a great job there.

I tried Ship Sim 2008 on my lap top which runs at 3.2GHz and 1 GB ram. It barely runs with lines for water so I had to removed it. I suspect the ram is too small and the video card is inadequate. I can easily see why some people with slower computers are having problems.  My main computer is a very fast gamer machine I just finished putting together and the performance difference is enormous.

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 08:35:21 »

Hello Almack,

Just another question. You don't sail anymore? And on what kind of ship did you sail on the Great Lakes?
I am a inland-skipper myself, in Europe, but i'm interested in Great Lakes-shipping for a longer time now.
On a Dutch shipping-forum, a Dutch man living in Canada has a thread, bringing news from the Lakes, including nice pictures. :) I follow this thread like a newspaper, and i gained interest in the Great Lakes and the ships who sail there.

Regards,

Ed
m/s "Eemspoort"

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 12:59:18 »

Hang on chaps... Traddles...

It sounds like our bouy system is too similar to Europe and USA... We must be seen to e akward and have our own dedicated system, (completely incomprehensible if possible).  :D

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 19:25:10 »

Also we Brits drive on the right side so we can more easily make rude signs to other drivers with our right hands!!! :o :-*

We drive from the left side because it is less awkward for a right-handed shooter to fire through either window without sticking his arm out and risking injury. ;D

I think that, had our Northern neighbors adopted IALA-A, the St. Lawrence Seaway would be a much more interesting place. ::)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 19:34:00 by mvsmith »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 00:04:51 »

The silliest thing is that I am left handed, couldn't fire a gun right handed or make naughty signs! I do though enjoy the light hearted banter on this forum, at my age, life is becoming too short to be serious about many things any more. :P ;) ::)

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 00:57:01 »

Hang on chaps... Traddles...

It sounds like our bouy system is too similar to Europe and USA... We must be seen to e akward and have our own dedicated system, (completely incomprehensible if possible).  :D

Stu
I should think that a people who could invent cricket could come up with something meeting that requirement. :)

Marty

almack

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 04:02:07 »

Ed, you picked a great ship to model on the Great Lakes. The Edward L Ryerson is one of the most expensive ships ever built. As a lake freighter she is the best looking Great Lakes freighter ever built and I understand the builder spared no expense in the crew quarters.

I owned and sailed mostly small sail and power boats up to 10 meters around Lake Huron, St. Clair River and Lake, Detroit River and Lake Erie area. The boating stopped when the kids went to college. I will likely never use another power boat due to high fuel costs but sail is a possibility

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 15:36:21 »

I should think that a people who could invent cricket could come up with something meeting that requirement. :)

Marty

Hi mv,
What is that game in America, I think it's some form of rounders such as schoolgirls play here!!!!! :P

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 16:46:47 »

Hi mv,
What is that game in America, I think it's some form of rounders such as schoolgirls play here!!!!! :P

You must mean Rugby. :)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 12:24:19 »

Hi Marty,
Do you mean that game you Americans play wearing armour and crash helmets so the players don't get hurt? ::) ;D

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 13:43:46 »

Ed, you picked a great ship to model on the Great Lakes. The Edward L Ryerson is one of the most expensive ships ever built. As a lake freighter she is the best looking Great Lakes freighter ever built and I understand the builder spared no expense in the crew quarters.

I owned and sailed mostly small sail and power boats up to 10 meters around Lake Huron, St. Clair River and Lake, Detroit River and Lake Erie area. The boating stopped when the kids went to college. I will likely never use another power boat due to high fuel costs but sail is a possibility

Yep, the Edward L. Ryerson is the best looking and most expensive Laker ever.  ;D
I've read an article about her, stating that there wasn't spared on anything on that ship. She's unique.  :)

So you sailed the Lakes for hobby! Nothing wrong with that! You've made more miles on the Lakes then me.  ;)
But i'm planning to come to the Lakes in the future, i wan't to see it with me own yes, the ships and the lot! 8)
m/s "Eemspoort"

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 14:25:52 »

Good point, Traddles.
The fact that Brits play without helmets probably explains a lot. ;D
Marty

RJK

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 14:52:17 »

Yep, the Edward L. Ryerson is the best looking and most expensive Laker ever.  ;D
I've read an article about her, stating that there wasn't spared on anything on that ship. She's unique.  :)

So you sailed the Lakes for hobby! Nothing wrong with that! You've made more miles on the Lakes then me.  ;)
But i'm planning to come to the Lakes in the future, i wan't to see it with me own yes, the ships and the lot! 8)

I sport fish a couple of the Great Lakes. Mostly Lake Michigan for Salmon or Lake Trout and a couple trips to Lake Erie for Walleyes.

Russ

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 16:43:10 »

Hi again Marty,
Are you really saying we're all nuts!!! Well I can only speak for myself and in that case you're dead right! :'( ;)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 18:05:06 »

I think that, had our Northern neighbors adopted IALA-A, the St. Lawrence Seaway would be a much more interesting place. ::)
Hi Marty,
I've just caught on to your comment, could have been fun with green buoys on BOTH sides of the seaway!! Wow :o :o :P

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 18:21:03 »

Hello Russ,

Very nice to know, more people are formilliar with the Lakes! :D
It would be nice to sail the Lakes with my own ship, ofcourse, but how would i get it there? And i don't think, the Coast Guard would be pleased to see me and my "little" vessel over there. ;D

Oh, and Traddles, your silly.

:D ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 22:56:13 »

Well I can only speak for myself and in that case you're dead right! :'( ;)

Actually I did say it myself. When I was teaching seafarers I found a bit of silliness worked wonders! ::)

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 12:03:37 »

Actually I did say it myself. When I was teaching seafarers I found a bit of silliness worked wonders! ::)

;D Well, trust me, your not the only one. :P ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines