Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 00:39:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: getting 2 tugs to stop slamming into eachother?  (Read 2499 times)

ozziesailor

• Forum member
getting 2 tugs to stop slamming into eachother?
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:09:45 »

ive tryed doin this mission where u have to harbour tugs and try towing that tanker to the otherside of i think rotterdam?. everytime i got to get the to tugs to work together something always stuffs up and they either slam into eachother, crash into the tanker or to tow correctly. is it easyier to tow a ship with both tugs at front, or to push and pull? if so how can u push a ship without getting damage?

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: getting 2 tugs to stop slamming into eachother?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:28:12 »

Greetings,
Pushing a vessel with tugboats is not realy the best idea,the only thing you can do,is switchs between the two tugs,and reduce the power of the vessels.This way they dont react so nervous,and the mission will get better.
I asume that you did it all with the trottle on 100% open,that's not realy the idea.Reduce the power and you have more time to switch.
Regards
Marc
N

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 13:22:40 »

Because it is annoying to switch over every 2 seconds, I managed a system to control both at the same time. Put a line from bow to bow to prevent them from going apart to much. Both tugs are steering like 1 degrees rudder to the outside.

Of course this is not happening in real life, but in the simulation it makes it a bit easier to tow for a long time :)

metalfork

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 13:52:51 »

I had this problem also....at a 100% throttle!!!  ;D

Because it is annoying to switch over every 2 seconds, I managed a system to control both at the same time. Put a line from bow to bow to prevent them from going apart to much. Both tugs are steering like 1 degrees rudder to the outside.

I will give that a try! It seems to be a very good idea!

Cheers ... Jonny

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 17:31:13 »

This is a very good example for using the multiplayer-mode in the future.

for now you have to be inventive,which you did very well.
However i'm able to switch over to one and other,but it's a bit hard,i have to say.
Regards
Marc
N

ozziesailor

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 07:07:20 »

well i only was using 40% throttle anyway. but i find that always one tug trys to always want to do something different....

i thought it might be easier to push and tow with one tug at the back pushing the rear and one at the front towing worked well until i didnt realise that the tug at the back was slowly sinking :-[ its really hard to get both ships to react. plus i have noticed theres some bugs like ull swap tugs to change its tow line and for some reason the green dont will appear on the opposite ship... or when one tug isnt reacting properly to what u want...

would u still pass the mission using only one tug?

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:45:20 »

I have the same problem as well. I still must end this mission, but i find it easyer to use the front, towing tug to sail the whole combination, and don't use the tug that's alongside the tanker. Or just with 20% thrust and the rudders in a position that keeps the tanker a bit on course.
However, The rear tugboat has all the waypoints, so i'm thinking the following. Don't use the front tug. Leave it where you find it, and use the rear tug to tow the tanker. I think it's much easyer, and you have all the waypoints. When you delivert the tanker, switch to the tug left behind, and move to the waypoint of that tug.

Well, that's what i am going to try. :)
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

ozziesailor

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 14:26:41 »

interesting theroy.... i was gonna actually juz use the rear tug to tow and moor the other tug to the tanker so its not left behind?

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 22:03:26 »

I've tryied this this afternoon. You can bring the front tug directly to it's mooring-place, and tow the tanker with the stern-tug. No probs, works fine. However, don't forget to use 2 towinglines! So the are spread. :) So 1 on starbord on the bow and 1 on portside on the bow of the tanker, and try to keep them the same length, so it sails easy. :)
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 20:00:26 »

The best solution for this and any mission where we have to sail 2 ships at the same time would be a second set of controls, perhaps shown a bit smaller, for the other ship. We could chose a viewpoint showing both vessels and steer both easily. For example mouse or stick for the boat we are currently 'in' and mouse only for the other one. If that can't be programmed would split screen work?
Would either be possible? How about it for the next upgrade?
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

VCCharlie

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 16:09:27 »

I actually used the two Tugs together, but I moored them together at a "Line Abreast", then I was able to steer using only 1 tug with both at full power. Towed the vessel quite nicely.

Roebot 65

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 20:53:28 »

Use only 1 tug
 ;)

RJK

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 19:35:12 »

I finally finished this one. It took over four hours with no damage. I moored the tug without the way points and just used the other tug alone. I used the mooring points on the rear of the tug to the front of the bunker for towing. I found it handled better if I crossed the lines. A strange thing happened at the finish though. I finally got the Sherpa moored and when I did the last two waypoint icons turned green and the mission finished.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines