Hello Guest April 30, 2024, 08:23:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship yawing  (Read 458 times)

geosub1978

• Forum member
Ship yawing
« on: July 13, 2023, 06:26:55 »

Hello to all!

I am trying to add some yawing on a STATIC or AI ship in order to resemble the sweeveling of an anchored ship. I tryed it through the PROPERTIES of the MISSION Editor where there are two fields to set YAW but got no apparent effect. Do I miss something? Is it possible afterall in any way?

Thank you!

George

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ship yawing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 20:22:24 »

Hello geosub1978,

Sorry, I am not enough acquainted with the mission editor to give you a valid answer. I can think that it would work with a player ship, but I never tried it, or at least so long ago that I have forgotten the result of the test.
I remember tests about the elasticity of the mooring and towing ropes, but not of anchor chains in SSE, well in Nautis.
My guess is that because static ships are just that, static elements, lacking any dynamics, it wouldn't work for them. AI ships do follow rules repeatedly, but I think that it will not always be yours.
Sorry for such an undecided response,

Regards,
Luc

geosub1978

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 07:19:54 »

Ok! It seems that multiplayer is the solution.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 11:16:17 »

How so? Not necessarily in multiplayer, it works also in freeroam, the more that one of your two ships is very slow, certainly enough to handle both in freeroam.

This feature is possible while the freeroam environments are mission xml files, edited and published by the mission editor. If you can create a simple mission, just adding bollards, tweaking weather and time, you just need to do the same by adding the player ships you need, e.g. FairmountSherpa modded and some Latitude,... they will also be equipped with deployable, etc. Bollards, player ships, are all the same.

Search for Freeroam.xml and you will find one in each of the environments, so that you can edit them at will, provided you keep a backup of the original file in case you want to use multiplayer later on.
You can share the environment with other players, of course, but don't forget to keep track of your changes, you can imagine why.
It goes without saying that the Freeroam.xml mission file should be saved or moved into the correct folder, for instance :
X:\...\Vstep\ShipSimExtremes\Projects\ShipSimExtremes\Data\Environments\Antarctic\FreeRoam.xml

The only difficulty is to be cautious and to find a way to backup and rename the files without delay, storing the environments in backup folders and not messing with them. Some specific folder out of the way...

Here the original Mvsmith's explanation, about bollards only:
http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php?topic=31880.msg406321#msg406321

and my remarks in this one (just translated) :
http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php?topic=29978.msg393022#msg393022

It is simple, easy, just try it !

Regards,
Luc

geosub1978

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 13:08:53 »

Wow! I didn't know it was possible to shift between ships. Then, I will choose a cutter as second player ship and set it turning slowly with its double shafts with no advance and try to berth Fairmount on it! It may work that way then! I will keep you informed.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines