Hello Guest April 18, 2024, 22:30:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts about the subscription model  (Read 11637 times)

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
Re: Thoughts about the subscription model
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2022, 00:44:43 »

So I’m a little bit, unsure what to say here, as I’m a developer for a company that sells subscription software

Ultimately, the software is expensive and the developers are expensive. You need investments to be able to make software in the last few years. There has been a big push for software as a service model which relies on subscriptions. To get the capital to make the software your business plan must be liked by your investors. VSTEP is not making this software the goodness of its heart. They need money and profit from this endeavor.

This software will need after overtime will need bug fixes, maintenance, and new features which will cost money. In the past, VSTEP has been terrible at supporting games long-term which worries me no you’re a service, people expect things to work on things to get better. Being static does not cut it people can cancel subscriptions very easily.

I’m a bit concerned that this is very overpriced for most players, especially casual players and I’ve argued before saying that young me would not have been able to pay for this. But I also know where the money needs to come from. as I had to explain to one of our customers (who I know personally) developers are expensive so there’s that cash flow needed.

I’m a little bit sceptical, just like response of everyone here, that VSTEP may have set the price too expensive and will fail as a result.

I won't be getting this game as I’m now a Mac user (blame my job) but will be interested in who does actually get the game and their experiences
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2022, 19:20:39 »

Call me old fashioned, but I like the old days where you paid a sum and got to actually own something

I would love to get a new ship sim, but I wouldn't pay for eveyr month for it - I wouldn't play it enough to justify it.

thecarbu

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2022, 19:14:02 »

Call me old fashioned, but I like the old days where you paid a sum and got to actually own something

I would love to get a new ship sim, but I wouldn't pay for eveyr month for it - I wouldn't play it enough to justify it.

I agree with you !

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2022, 12:54:52 »

It’s nice to see us “old” members agreeing on something for once…
Captain Cadet

Capetan Thanasis

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 17:30:18 »

Hello. As an old ship simmer, like all ship simmers, I was happy when I received Vstep's message about the NAUTIS Home version, but disappointed when I saw the pricing as a monthly or 6-month subscription. Unfortunately for me the price is expensive. I could maybe pay for a month or 6-month subscription of the early access but not for longer. I guess I should realize that I won't enjoy NAUTIS Home.
Best Regards

Thanasis

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2022, 21:21:18 »

Hi Thanasis,
After many years of enjoying The 2006, 2008 and SSE versions I too find the concept of Nautis Home to be not what I would enjoy. As a retired (long ago) seafarer I don't want to start basic training all over again. Not really my idea of enjoyment. I am now 88 years old and just want to take things easy. My computer is not up to the suggested power requirements anyway, and to buy a new one is out of the question.

Regards to all,
Angus
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 21:24:58 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Capetan Thanasis

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2022, 22:25:42 »

Hi Angus. I am also retired. I totally agree with you. Same here, 2006, 2008 and SSE versions.
Best Regards

Thanasis

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2022, 02:31:35 »

I notice there was a mention of no multiplayer - is that definitely the case? If so, that's a real shame. I couldn't see myself making an effort to upgrade my old PC for the sake of something that has minimal interactivity between players.

Where the subscription model is concerned, I can't see the average consumer being interested in paying the bones of 50 Euro every 6 months. In addition, I think it knocks out potential younger enthusiasts such as myself who ended up in a career at sea because of the franchise. I struggle to see who or what Nautis Home really appeals to? Perhaps that's a pessimistic view.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2022, 16:04:35 »

Hi Jack,
They say multiplayer is to follow at some time in the next 12 months.

Angus
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2022, 00:18:11 »

I notice there was a mention of no multiplayer - is that definitely the case? If so, that's a real shame. I couldn't see myself making an effort to upgrade my old PC for the sake of something that has minimal interactivity between players.

Where the subscription model is concerned, I can't see the average consumer being interested in paying the bones of 50 Euro every 6 months. In addition, I think it knocks out potential younger enthusiasts such as myself who ended up in a career at sea because of the franchise. I struggle to see who or what Nautis Home really appeals to? Perhaps that's a pessimistic view.

I can see it being targeted really at professional use cases, but a watered-down version is made for consumers as it’s not that much more work to water it down…
Captain Cadet
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines