Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 10:35:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel gauge on "Portoferraio Angel"  (Read 18475 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Fuel gauge on "Portoferraio Angel"
« on: May 07, 2016, 11:50:54 »

I have been playing this game for many years now and I had never before noticed that the fuel gauge on the classic yacht was actually steadily showing a reducing amount of fuel on the vessel as a mission progressed. :doh: ::)

Angus.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:10:52 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Fuel gauge on "Portoferraio Angel"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 19:46:03 »

Is there a refueling point in that mission, Angus?   ;D

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 22:54:50 »

Hi Salty,
Funny you should say that. :doh: I was wondering if I were to run on and on for a long time would she run out of fuel and stop.:-\ That particular mission, or any mission for that matter, has no refueling point. Not to be downhearted though, just another of those ?? times.

Angus.

Eustache le Moff

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 23:45:02 »

!:) As I just found out, to "refuel" the Portoferraio Angel, you only have to store the mission and then to reload it.

(In fact, I actually wanted to know if the ship would actually stop running when her tank is empty. To check this, you have to play the simulator for several hours. However, when I stored the mission one evening and re-loaded it next day, I found the fuel gauge perfectly restored.)

Best regards

Volker

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:49:55 »

Hi Volker,
I wish my car was like that. :2thumbs: ;D I could end up quite well off.

Angus.

Eustache le Moff

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:44 »

Hi Angus,

maybe VSTEP will develop a CarSim game one day. ::)

By the way, I found that not less than 16 player ships in SS2008 are "equipped" with this fuel gauge display:

Fairmount Sherpa, Selsey III, Mare Australis (Inland Container Ship), Red Jet 4, Northern Star (Trawler), Portoferraio Angel, Freedom 90 (Hovercraft), Jetski, Vermaas, Agile Solution, Pioneer (Pilot Boat), Arrie Visser (Rescue Boat), Powerboat, Marbella Delight (Speed Yacht), Latitude, VSTEP7 (Water Taxi).

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 12:57:23 »

maybe VSTEP will develop a CarSim game one day. ::)

Actually they did before they started ShipSim. Well, not for gamers but still.  :P

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 13:07:06 »

Found an interesting discussion about the refuelling issue: http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,10619.0.html

SS08 also had an option to Turn on/turn off engines, a pity that option wasn't continued in SSExtremes..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 17:57:17 by saltydog »

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 19:13:07 »

Hello,

Fuel consumption has been implemented at first for the "Voortvarend varen" game in 2009. It wouldn't have been realistic for ShipSim 2008 due partly to the uncertainties of the dynamics of the models, partly to the need for some expansion of the theoretical background.
ShipSim Extremes incorporates a full implementation of the fuel management (various tanks and fuels, engines and propeller efficiencies and parameters, hull resistances) that remains unused due to the relatively small size of the environments and missions.
Schade, certainly.

Regards,
Luc

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:12 »

I had no idea that my little observation would produce so much interest. It proves to me that, even though Vstep are no longer developing the games there is always quite a substantial number of players who still enjoy the game and in participation on the Forum. :thumbs: ;D

Angus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines