Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 00:09:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship documentation missing  (Read 3272 times)

hiran

• Forum member
Ship documentation missing
« on: January 14, 2016, 00:16:33 »

Not sure whether this post should go into suggestions or into community development, but...

I am missing a bit of technical documentation on the ships available in SSE.
The reason is that every now and then I am surprised about the behaviour of ships.

Some ships have two thrusters, and I have to guess which is which.
Some ships react to steering while on reverse thrust the opposite than I was expecting.

So now I am interested in what kind of propulsion they have, or how the controls are meant to be operated.
Similar to what is discussed in
http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,31334.msg402945.html#msg402945
I believe good documentation could remove just so many questions...

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Ship documentation missing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 17:27:54 »

http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,20975.msg282872.html#msg282872

Hi hiran,
Some ships, (small ones) the two pilot boats, Arrie Visser, Billy Greene and the water taxi are driven by Hamilton Jet drives, these vessels when put into reverse gear react in the opposite way to normally driven vessels. They will swing in the direction of the forward steering positions. This is a little confusing until you get the hang of it. most of the other vessels are more or less self explanatory I feel, but a little experimenting in "Free Roaming" play will soon give you the information you desire.
Ships with two thrusters, one forward & one aft, show the forward control on the left, & the after control on the right.
The post I give a link to above, lists the drive systems of all the vessels in game. A little extra research on the type of drives listed will give better explanations than I can.
The "Oceana" has four azipod drives and two forward bow thrusters. The centre azipods are fully rotatable through 3600 whist the outer two are fixed drives. The "Zilvermeeuw" is exactly the same as the P6 patrol boat.
The two inland vessels, "Deo Favente" & "Mare Australe" have very good steering capabilities which make them very easy to handle in confined places. The tug "Bugsier 2" has drives forward of amidships so she will go in the direction  the  Controllers are pointing, this make her a tractor tug. The "Cratus" has drives aft of amidships which causes the sternto be pushed in the direction of the controllers, thus the bow swings in the opposite direction. This system is known as ASD drives.
I hope I have covered most of the vessels now. ???

Regards,
Angus
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 18:00:44 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

hiran

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 21:45:47 »

Thank you Angus. Your post gives me a bit of an idea, and the complexity is even higher than I had estimated as one also needs to know where the drives are mounted.

Unfortunately the link you gave shows me an error message. Maybe I am not authorized to read it?

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 23:38:53 »

Hello again hiran,
Please accept my apologies, you are quite right, that link is not available to you. :doh: ::) I will try to find a link which you are able to access.
Apologies again, but here is a link for you.
http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,27744.msg368830.html#msg368830
As is mentioned here, there are a number of ships NOT listed as they were not available at the time. If you have a problem with any particular vessel, please let me know & I will try to clarify the drive system of the vessel for you.

Regards,
Angus.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 23:56:27 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines