Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 18:23:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stolen models?  (Read 3966 times)

larsdehaan

Stolen models?
« on: October 27, 2015, 16:35:08 »

Hey all!

I was looking trough my Steam activity feed, i saw a video made by a friend of mine for his Roleplaying mod on Arma 3 (Which he seems to be monetizing.). Now at this point, you're probably thinking, ''What does this have to do with ShipSim?''. Ill show you, Below i have attached the video which clearly seems to use the Protector and the Cutter from SSE, I doubt these are free to use in any old mod/game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UadWDmktXM

Perhaps someone can shed a light on this? I've searched a bit and the other Leader of that particular mod is known to steal models and monetize them.

Ive also included a quote from the Bohemia interactive studios FAQ on monetization
On my server I am using mods created by other people. May I get approval to monetize?
You may, but ONLY if you have proper permission from all of the authors of such mods. Monetizing without it contravenes our licenses.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
Re: Stolen models?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 00:53:38 »

Could be that these models are available on TurboSquid. Vstep has used a couple models from there in the past. For people to rip a model clean from Quest3D's CGR files would be next to impossible. I tried it.  :P

larsdehaan

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 19:00:47 »

I've checked turbosquid, along with a few other sites.
I couldn't find any that matched, Quite alot that look alike, but they still are different.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 20:15:59 »

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/max-coast-guard-national-security/486076

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-u-s-coast-guard/266957

I believe these are the two, I do remember they came from TS.
They have been altered and optimized a little bit before going ingame, so there are a few slight differences.

For people to rip a model clean from Quest3D's CGR files would be next to impossible. I tried it.  :P

and.. what he said.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 20:19:59 by Mad_Fred »

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 23:25:27 »

Yep, those are the ones  :thumbs:
Vstep always did a lot of necessary cleaning when they got models from TS. Sometimes models even had to be be remade entirely.

larsdehaan

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 13:28:19 »

They have ´´Unbinarized´´ ArmA models before, which was also deemed impossible.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 20:17:47 »

Nah that was easy, I used to do a lot of modding for OFP and the first ArmA, and there were plenty of tools around to pick almost everything apart back then, and modders have made thousands of addons and mods where, besides original new content, there were heaps of them which featured many variations of the original content of those games, be it infantry, vehicles, structures, weapons, etc.

I made maps for those games where I'd pick their building models apart and adapted them in some ways to have more variation between them in the towns and cities, etc. Worked with guys in a mod team where they redid a lot of stock vehicles, armor and soldiers to fit another era/nation and so forth. And BIS would not have cared, as the mod community in those games was so important to the series' success too.

Of course, theorethically nothing is impossible, but I still reckon these chaps would have had a far easier job ripping off the TS content..  yet either way, I don't think Vstep will kick up much of a fuss if it was taken from SSE, since they did not create the models themselves anyway, but bought them.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 20:30:41 by Mad_Fred »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines