Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 20:01:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the game dying?  (Read 15576 times)

Apejens

• Forum member
Is the game dying?
« on: February 13, 2015, 14:34:20 »

I've recently returned to playing the game after some time.
I'm wondering - is the game dying?
There seems to be little development and not much news.
Is there anything happening in the future?

MokMok

• Forum member
Re: Is the game dying?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:43:58 »

I think that this game is indeed dying, very pity!

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:01:38 »

Unfortunately, just like any other game, ShipSim also has a limited commercial life. Personally I would have liked another sequel but as we all know from similar topics in the past, Vstep has entered a different market.

Apejens

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 14:34:04 »

I wasn't aware of that. Is that the professional market?

Dasheight

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 21:51:00 »

Unfortunately, just like any other game, ShipSim also has a limited commercial life. Personally I would have liked another sequel but as we all know from similar topics in the past, Vstep has entered a different market.

Give it some time and you'll see that ESS is a worthy succesor.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 14:12:30 »

Hello Apejens,

You are indeed right, there is no develoment at all, only some modifications asked by players to keep ShipSim Extremes living (survival mode...) can be answered, like in the Community development board.
In fact, ships can be modified, even deeply, aspects, scale, dynamics, collisions can be remedied if needed, but no new ship can be introduced.
The Unofficial Patches topic contains moddings made by "the Community", showing a small example of the possibilities.
You could also tailor the Freeroam environments to suit your needs by the mission editor.

Regards,
Luc

kev749

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 20:37:55 »

Its a shame they will not let folks make mods for the sim it would be way better

francesco

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 09:27:43 »

It is indeed a shame.

European Ship Simulator is far from being anything close to ship Sim, and at this rate it will take years (provided it will actually make it).

However, lately simulators have been again in the interest of the playerbase i think, look at Euro Truck Simulator, FSX being distributed on Steam with xplane too. Perhaps one day VStep will reconsider.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:35:45 »

I actually hoped EU-SS would be a great ShipSim game, but at this moment it only appears to be a big cash grab.
Selling it as early access with promises of big improvements so that many people will buy it, and when they got the money, the slapped this on it and marked it as "Released".

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 11:57:48 »

I feel it to be a great shame that SS2008 could not have been built upon with some quite simple changes. Those of us who were involved with the early stages of Ship Simulator Professional, which became Nautis, can remember some items which made a great improvement to the game.  Here are some of the additions which could put a whole new gloss on the game. The ability to remove waypoints from the gameplay, (the green circles on the sea surface.) as well as from the chart. The ability to add flags, both National and code flags. The addition of the effects of wind and tidal currents. A realistic Radar display, and buoy lighting. To add these things would, I feel, not get anywhere near to impinging on the integrity of Nautis, but would enable the game to be re-vitalised, in that the excellent methods of building missions could be restored, and lead to a re-interest in the game. Just look at the vast number of mission builders in SS2008 as against SSE!!!
European Ship Simulator would appear to be a very poor addition to the Ship Simulation type of game, at least that is my own opinion. Whereas SS2008 STILL is the best of Vstep games, if only it could have been given the extra boosts I mention. The things I mention must still be lying about somewhere in Vsteps' archives and would not even have to be re-engineered for adding to the game. SSE, whilst quite brilliant in many ways,for just one example, the rendering of sea surfaces, has been sadly brought down by the extreme (no pun intended) difficulty in mastering the building of missions. This has precluded many players from developing an interest in the game.

Angus.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:19:57 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

MokMok

• Forum member

When this game dies, it would be very pity. So it would be a very great job for players to advertise ShipSim on their Facebookpages or other social media. I don't know if both SS2008 and SSE2010 will run under Windows 8 or 10, they were designed for running under Windows XP and Windows Vista.

The whole ShipSim series can be run under Linux with PlayOnLinux, see topic "ShipSim running in Linux with PlayonLinux frontend for Wine" at http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,30683.msg399261.html#msg399261.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 17:16:29 by MokMok »

STORMM_29

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 17:46:15 »

I think they should make it mod compatible and that would make the game last a little longer, i myself rarely get to play anymore but when i do it reminds how actually awesome this game is. Look at FSX its not that far from SSE and it was such a big success. I know if there was a new SS i would buy it or if there was a massive overhaul i would pay for it.
Stormm_29 :)

STORMM_29

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 00:33:37 »

How long will multiplayer be online like vstep will shut it down at some point right?
Stormm_29 :)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 08:34:17 »

I don't know at this moment how long we plan to run these servers. My guess is that they will remain around for some time. That they will close down at some point is quite certain I reckon. Of course anyone who then still wants to play online can always create their own server with 2 clicks.

I've been trying hard to get some more modding posibilities in this game, but unfortunately, even with the SDK it is extremely hard to make any changes. ShipSim, or Questviewer on that matter, has a very closed structure. Adding a vessel for example is not like in VS7 where creating a folder and placing the new files within is sufficient. Here the ships are hardwired within the game's core.

Daisai

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 15:41:10 »

Well in order for it to die it first had to be rather succesfull aka , life.

The game has always been very poor in both performance, gameplay and simulator aspects, so its pretty much vstep their own fault.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 08:06:48 »

We understand you are frustrated with the game, but it doesn't contribute anything to this topic.

Daisai

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 11:13:17 »

My post does contribute to this topic, the question is if this game is dying my answer is that it always has been dead because of poor development.
That you do not agree with this for whatever reason ( my gues is because you want to suck up to these developers for some reason ) is not a valid reason to say that my post does not contribute to this topic.

And no im not frustrated with this game, its not my job that is being lost because of developing a poor product.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 12:48:56 »

People were having a mature discussion in this topic without any bashing or finger pointing. Your comment does not contribute to that.
Adding a personal insult to that only proves my point further and has caused you a 6 month ban from this forum.
Next time it's permanent.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 17:14:42 »

Hi salty,
The forum rules forbid personal insults:-
Quote:-Flaming, Bashing, and Trolling
Hate posts and personal attacks will not be tolerated on the forums, either on the public boards or in personal messages. This will lead to a warning or ban. -: Unquote.
Not too clever to insult one of the Administrators!!!! There was absolutely no need for that in my opinion, very bad manners, to say the very least. Sadly good manners tend to be somewhat rare nowadays.

Regards,
Angus.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:46 »

Hi Angus, I later came to the same conclusion, which is why I removed my post about a 6 month ban seeming a bit harsh. Sorry.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 11:12:55 »

Hi Salty,
No need to apologise, I too felt the same way until I checked the rules!!! Just a pity that he felt it necessary to be quite so personal.
Regards,
Angus.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 18:38:24 »

While he phrased it very poorly and the insults were uncalled for, I have to agree with Daisai to some extent.

SS2006 was a good start, if a little amateurish in many ways.  VSTEP really seemed to have listened to what customers wanted with SS08 which, while it was a little unpolished, was a fun game with a massive potential.

It was this massive potential which made people so excited about SSE, sadly I think VSTEP went in completely the wrong direction with that in that, while the graphics and content were better, it neither featured massive improvements in game play or realism.

I don't know if VSTEPS intention was always to use the game as a way to fund and get a foothold in the market for Nautis, but it is a great shame that they did not make a more realistic, more polished version of SS08 rather than what they appear to have done which was make a more "exciting" and shiny version.  In my view this would have both added to their credibility in the professional simulator market and kept an already loyal market for future development.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 21:05:45 »

I think the rapid demand from the professional market had an influence on how ShipSim's development went or ended. I don't necessarily agree to how this was handled and I think if there was a lot more communication with the community from the get go it could have prevented a lot of trouble.

Although VSTEP has always focused on professional simulation, I don't think they sold ShipSim as a game first with the intention to kickstart a larger project. To my knowledge, they eventually found that schools were purchasing quite a few ShipSim copies for training purposes which basically led to the making of a professional version. It only seems they forgot who actually made ShipSim so popular in the first place, which is a shame. To this, I can fully understand why people don't like the company. Unfortunately it's not always presented in a decent matter.

About the ban,
My response to Daisai was because the two posts he made prior to this one showed signs of hate that wasn't going to contribute to this topic. He did not have to throw in a personal insult. The ban magnitude was based on past behaviour as well.
Of course, if multiple people think the ban is too heavy I could take another look at it.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 22:45:05 »

Nope, I think the ban was spot on.

weejam

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 19:41:52 »

I think it is a really shameful deal. Not bashing anyone but sometimes developers need to remember their roots. Not everyone can afford the professional stuff that maritime schools can. Just like MS Flight got shot down in flames by simmers instead of gamers, simmers want a sim and the professional aspects of it, while in the beginning may seem extremely profitable ends up being I have the software so why do I need newer content?

I just remember some companies would remember where their root base comes from and at least somewhat cater to them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines