Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 22:01:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maritime news  (Read 6884 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Maritime news
« on: July 12, 2014, 00:24:10 »

If you have news about ships or shipping.. :)

The Pieter Schelte, built in S.Korea, and the largest ship in the world, is to be finished in Rotterdam..

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2014/07/11/maasvlakte-2-needs-dredging-for-pieter-schelte-job/

http://www.allseas.com/uk/29/multimedia/movie-gallery.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 23:24:26 by saltydog »

albertjames

• Forum member
Re: Maritime news
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:47:04 »

Russian nuclear submarine rescues five sailors in White Sea

Sweet mother of divinity, imagine being rescued by that thing?!

According to the Russian Ministry of Defense, sailors aboard the small craft “Barents 1100″ sent out a distress signal on Sunday afternoon when they found themselves in the middle of some severe weather while in the White Sea.

To their surprise, the Oscar-class cruise-missile submarine “Voronezh,” belonging to the Northern Fleet, happened to be right in the vicinity and was on hand to provide assistance. After coming alongside the small craft, the crew of the Voronezh transferred the five sailors aboard the sub, and took the Barents 1100 in tow.

http://gcaptain.com/russian-nuclear-...stress-photos/

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 22:12:16 »

that would scare the poop out of me - expecting to see a boat comming from the horizon and then see a massive russian sub surface.... i have seen one in the distance when i was walking along a coast and it was scary seeing it out already - let alone comming out and not expecting it!
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 21:58:03 »

Costa Concordia arrives in Genoa and changes hands

As you may know, the Costa Concordia arrived in Genoa yesterday (27.7.14).

Along with this, the Costa Concordia ownership has now been transferred from Costa Crociere to the Saipem/San Giorgio del Porto consortium. It was signed on Sunday, July 27, at 3.40 pm. The sale contract states that the purpose of the sale is only for the ships destruction.

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi visited Genoa Pra’-Voltri Port to congratulate the participants of the salvage project on a job well done.

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:47:18 »

Japanese whaling vessel seized by Russia

A Japanese whaling vessel and its crew were being held in Russia on Friday after the ship entered Russian territorial waters without permission, Tokyo said.
The 712-tonne Shonan-maru No.2 was ordered into a Russian port on August 15 after sailing through the Sea of Okhotsk off Sakhalin island, an official from Japan's Fisheries Agency said.
The vessel, which does not catch whales itself but monitors the oceans for signs of the creatures, had 19 Japanese crew and one Russian observer on board.
Tokyo has admitted the vessel changed its initial course and entered Russian waters without going through the proper procedures.
"The crew members have been voluntarily questioned," the official said, adding that Tokyo was asking for their early release through diplomatic channels.
Ties between Japan and Russia have warmed in recent years after decades of mistrust over disputed territory taken by Soviet troops in the closing moments of World War II.
But the relationship has soured as Tokyo has joined its Western allies in imposing sanctions on Russia in the wake of its annexation of part of Ukraine.
Earlier this month Moscow scrapped a meeting with a Japanese minister in response to a new round of sanctions against senior figures in the Russian government.
The meeting, originally scheduled for late August, was expected to focus on the simmering territorial dispute. Japan is a close ally of the United States, which has been piling pressure on Russia over its involvement in Ukraine.
Last week Japan lodged a "stern" protest with Russia over military exercises that are being held on the disputed Kuril islands.
Both Moscow and Tokyo had hoped to start mending relations in order to revive trade, with Japan seeking broader access to Russia's plentiful oil and natural gas supplies.
Russian President Vladimir Putin hosted Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in April 2013 for the two sides' first formal summit in Moscow in a decade.
The leaders agreed to set in motion a series of high-level talks about Tokyo's claim to the southern Kuril chain that it still refers to as the Northern Territories.
Japan said last month it had wrapped up a whale hunt in the Pacific, the second campaign since the UN's top court ordered Tokyo to halt a separate slaughter in the Antarctic.
The Shonan-maru No. 2 has previously been used during the now-suspended Antarctic whaling hunt, during which there have been clashes with environmentalist groups.

johan2000

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 21:18:43 »

nice, take that you whalers.

Please DO NOT use this kind of language. It is not clever and serves no purpose.

Traddles
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:42:44 by Traddles »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:27:15 »

Car transporter ship is set on Solent sandbank after shiftiing cargo..(Jaguars, Bentleys, Landrovers etc)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30679911

edit: update  http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-30699744
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:23:18 by saltydog »

GeoP17

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:32:08 »

I had watched a documentary in Mighty Ships (Discovery Channel) with a car transporter and I remember that although the distance between common cars was just a few centimeters, the distance between Rolls Royces was almost a meter....

Watch the video...

Thanks a lot stormforce!

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:11 »

Car transporter ship is set on Solent sandbank after shiftiing cargo..(Jaguars, Bentleys, Landrovers etc)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-30679911

Ouch...personally I can't see it going anywhere soon, that bank is an infamous one, many a thing has been stuck there, including the QE2!  :) As its sand there isn't much damage, somewhere I read it said 'just a little more embarrasing' for the PIC...

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 14:01:27 »

They have a annual cricket match on the bank as the sea becomes so shallow
Dont believe me?

Looks like an intressting game!  :doh:
Captain Cadet

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 14:14:48 »

Apparently the winner is pre determined though  :doh:

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 17:40:28 »

Well it would be unfair if one team wins all the time because there players were taller so they could play for longer  ::)
Captain Cadet

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 21:46:07 »

Ouch...personally I can't see it going anywhere soon

Well I'll be - let me correct myself:  :doh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-30716023
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines