Hello Guest April 24, 2024, 02:05:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire on board the DFDS's MS King Seaways  (Read 2201 times)

MokMok

• Forum member
Fire on board the DFDS's MS King Seaways
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:48:16 »

At http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25540731 I read that there was a fire in a cabin on board the MS King Seaways last night.

Very good that the fire was quickly discoverd, the crew quickly responded and extinguished the fire quickly. Otherwise the fire could have taken many fatalities. The fire could also accidentally be caused by a short-circuit or by a Li-Ion battery of a laptop or mobile phone which could have caught fire. In the past there were many cases of Li-Ion batteries which caught fire spontaneously. How fatal a fire on board of a ferry can be, we learn from the Scandinavian Star which caught fire in 1990 due to arson, which took manu fatalities. More info about this disaster, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Star.

A fight between two men broke out during the evacuation, I read it on http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/uk/450956/Two-arrested-after-fire-breaks-out-on-North-Sea-ferry-bound-for-Amsterdam.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:31:16 by MokMok »

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
Re: Fire on board the DFDS's MS King Seaways
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 15:59:14 »

I would be amazed if it was a battery as im doing an ICT course and the amount of safeguards on a laptop battery is incredable - they tend to only blow up if the charger is faulty! 
Interesting though - it was bit of a party boat so it could be well an accident.
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 16:38:10 »

I would be amazed if it was a battery as im doing an ICT course and the amount of safeguards on a laptop battery is incredible - they tend to only blow up if the charger is faulty!  
Interesting though - it was bit of a party boat so it could be well an accident.

The fire can also be caused by falling asleep while smoking. I think that alcoholic beverage should be forbidden on board of passenger ferries. If passengers are drunk and there is a calamity on board, it will be very dangerous to escape.

I hope the Marine Accidents Investigation Branch http://www.maib.gov.uk/ will investigate this accident and that all ferry-operators will learn the lessens from this accident.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 16:45:29 by MokMok »

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 17:39:23 »

One passenger has been arrested on suspicion of arson, and another on suspicion of affray.

STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 03:52:13 »

If it is proven that someone deliberately tried to start a fire on a ship then I hope the jail sentence is incredibly long!

The Scandanavian Star was a terrible tragedy, but many lessons have been learnt from it and it is much less likely that a fire would spread like that on a modern ferry.

As for banning alcohol on passenger ferries, never going to happen.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 16:48:23 »

One passenger has been bailed, and the other has been charged with arson and affray.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 17:15:01 »

To be honest i dont they should be bailed if they set a ferry on fire - everything too confined there and a simple joke could kill hundreds
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines