Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:45:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind effects?  (Read 7574 times)

Alex201

• Forum member
Wind effects?
« on: October 14, 2007, 12:46:43 »

Maybe it's just me. But I haven't noticed any drift. Is the wind only for the extra graphics on the water to make it look like there is wind?
I've done some testruns but even at anchor the wind keeps on blowing from the side instead of turning the boat into the wind.  ???

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
Re: Wind effects?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 13:03:49 »

Hi Alex :)

Your assumption is right. The wind doesn't affect the vessels at all. :( It is only used for setting the direction of the waves. I'm afraid that we have to wait for the next version of SS to see wind and current have an effect on the ships...

Regards
groennegaard

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 13:14:44 »

Alright, thanx. Was just wondering why.  :)

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 13:51:51 »

I can easily understand your wonder. Weather effects was one of the new features of SS08, but it turned out to be nothing more than visual effects.

I'm not really that disappointed though. It takes a huge amount of time to implement such factors and how they make the ships react, and in the meantime I can get used to handle the new ships in calm weather...  ;)

Regards
groennegaard

Alex201

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 14:06:39 »

I already have lots of respect for Vstep making the game. 2006 was already a wonder so far I've seen it, but 2008 is a lot better  ;D

SSNick

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 21:29:54 »

Hi Alex :)

Your assumption is right. The wind doesn't affect the vessels at all. :( It is only used for setting the direction of the waves. I'm afraid that we have to wait for the next version of SS to see wind and current have an effect on the ships...

Regards
groennegaard

OH,I ddint notce that,and i agree,SS06 was a great game last year.But when 2008 came out,It is better

exarkun47

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 20:04:03 »

I'm sorry for replying to an old thread and I'm sorry that it's just a complaint :)

I played the demo and I almost went and bought the game - the handling feels quite realistic and I'm eager to see how I do on the bigger boats ;)

BUT I noticed this too - bad weather and I have all the time in the world maneuvering slowly without drifting off? I'm sorry, but that's a no-go for a ship simulator. I could even live with sub-standard graphics, but that's just me. Eyecandy is not good enough until wind & current is at least crudely implemented, as anyone who has ever maneuvered a small boat in more than a very slight breeze should know.

Sorry about this but I felt that it should be said.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 20:38:59 by exarkun47 »

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 20:47:20 »

To be honest, there have been some attempts within the SS06 to implement wind force effecting the vessels. But it wasn't as easy as the developers thought at the beginning. So they have withdrawn that feature, hopefully just for a while.. ;)

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 20:51:27 »

To be honest, there have been some attempts within the SS06 to implement wind force effecting the vessels. But it wasn't as easy as the developers thought at the beginning. So they have withdrawn that feature, hopefully just for a while.. ;)

Regards

Funny! In Virtual Sailor you have drift. More wind that you set in the weather panel causes more drift that affects the boat.
Uhm.. welcome after Ship Simulator (just teasing a little) :D Hope it gets implemented since it can have a nice effect on large ships ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 21:11:19 »

I would agree with you (eh? AGREEING with someone?  :o ). But only to a point. I think that VS still has a very limited physics engine (based only on opinions not qualified knowledge) so programming the wind will maybe not be so hard???

However, the RUMOURS about VS8 are that it WILL be far more sophisticated so maybe this might make vstep re-evaluate which parts of the sim are priorities.

Incidentally, (and this isn't really from enough experience) but I don't think too highly of their claim about sailing boats- I know a fair bit of the THEORY and it doesn't match VS too well...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 22:06:18 »

However, the RUMOURS about VS8 are that it WILL be far more sophisticated so maybe this might make vstep re-evaluate which parts of the sim are priorities.

Yes, POCSIM3D II already has wind effects as well, SS is lagging a bit on this.

TJK

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 22:06:34 »

HI
Read here Tornadoes is a good Wind effects i think
TJK

Here is the only information on SS2009 we got so far:

Quote from: 'VSTEP News Update 03-04-2008'
News on Ship Simulator 2009

Although we are still working hard improving Ship Simulator 2008, at the same time a new development team has started on Ship Simulator 2009. Some of the new features:

* A completely new ocean, based on real-world wave spectra
    * Tornadoes / water spouts
    * The harbor of Sydney
    * Part of Antarctica
    * New navigational instruments like a radar and a conning screen
    * Many brand new vessels.

We plan to bring out Ship Simulator 2009 in the first quarter 2009.

Kind regards
groennegaard
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 22:09:07 by TJK »

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 23:07:12 »

...but it doesn't say that the wind/tornado actually affects the vessels... Maybe it's only visual effects like we have now.  ;D

groennegaard

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 23:08:05 »

...but it doesn't say that the wind/tornado actually affects the vessels... Maybe it's only visual effects like we have now.  ;D

groennegaard

Uh oh, I sense a debate coming on :D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 23:31:23 »

Well, the lack of official information makes one interpret even the smallest details in the limited information we actually got...   ;)

To me, a new version of SS without wind and current actually affecting the ships isn't actually a new version. New instruments, vessels and areas are just new content - not a new program. So I believe that SS2009 will include more than that, improved dynamics and wind/current that actually affects the vessels. Maybe I'll be disappointed, who knows?

Regards
groennegaard

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 23:34:21 »

I think you're right there in all honesty (not about being disappointed ;))

I'm really looking forward to seeing what will be included, and how it's implemented ;D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 23:44:00 »

Oh no... a prediction...

"...But Groennegaard said back in May...that..."

I do think vstep needs to consider engaging with customers and trying to get an idea what people actually want from the game/ sim. That said, with the forum being bombarded with constant lists of near-demands, its probably quite difficult to filter all the nonsense out first.

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TJK

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 00:53:08 »

We for see what happens then when the new games com out ;D
TJK

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 14:50:05 »

We for see what happens then when the new games com out ;D

Oh no! That sounds too much like common sense for some people here.

TJK

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 15:37:56 »

Oh no! That sounds too much like common sense for some people here.
And the topics was..........................................  :D Wind effects? ........yes ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 15:41:37 »

And the topics was..........................................  :D Wind effects? ........yes ;D

How appropriate  :o

TJK

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 15:47:46 »

How appropriate  :o
We most be serious here and correct :D 8)
TJK
But if wee had a real storm with wind effect on the ships, that had been fun, agree ;) and more challenge for navigation
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 15:49:20 by TJK »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 18:25:02 »

You want choppy seas, pitching and rolling ships? struggling to stay on course?

I find that after a couple of glasses of DECENT cognac and that does the trick quite nicely.

I find that after SEVERAL glasses of DECENT cognac and I just don't give a damn.  ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 22:06:40 »

I find that after a lot of glasses of bog yak, I wake up on the floor and don't remember a thing. Or is that when I go hypo?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 15:07:56 by TerryRussell »

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 14:47:47 »

Funny! In Virtual Sailor you have drift. More wind that you set in the weather panel causes more drift that affects the boat.
Uhm.. welcome after Ship Simulator (just teasing a little) :D Hope it gets implemented since it can have a nice effect on large ships ;D

SS and VS should start a joint venture together. The looks and dynamics of SS with the functionality of VS  ;D
It's the crew that makes the difference
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines