Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 05:31:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP with demo - Im really considering buying 2008 but i need to know this first  (Read 3038 times)

Ibomol

• Forum member

On my demo, I get no wave textures what so ever? all i get is a white grid which moves and rolls to simulate the waves. this grid make makes my head hurt and i have looked everywere for how to turn it off? maybe my demo downloaded wrong? ive tried reinstalling it but it still is a ship moving along a endless white grid. Land appears ok, but the sea is just a grid in which the boxes varie in size for the grid setting, but never dissapear? I have a very good graphics card and i high spec computer.. please tell me how to get rid of it.

Shipaddict

• Forum member

Hi :)

What is your RAm and graphics card. That will beall I can help you with. Also, try turning the graphics on low.

Kind Regards,
Shipaddict

Ibomol

• Forum member

ram is like 1gb graphics card radeon 9500 sapphire, and i have tried low graphics

Shipaddict

• Forum member

I don't know about that type of graphics card. I'm sure [RWP]DJM will be able to help you.

Hope you get it sorted :)

DerBandit

• Forum member

I've seen this on my PC as well. After turning of transparent Waves, the water looks "normal" I've thje german version installed so I'm not sure what's it named in the english version. But set the graphics section to costum and turn this transparent waves off.
Es grüßt

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member

ram is like 1gb graphics card radeon 9500 sapphire, and i have tried low graphics

Hiya :)

I'm afraid that your graphics card is below the minimum specification required to run Ship Simulator 2008.  The minimum specification is listed below (taken from the FAQ's):

Operating system: Windows 2000, XP or Vista
Processor: Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 1GB (Windows 2000/XP) or 2GB (Vista)
Graphics card: GeForce 5900 or ATI 9600 Pro / X600 (128MB)
Audio devices: Sound card
Input controller: Mouse with scroll wheel
Optional controllers: Joystick, Joypad or Steering wheel

The only thing I can suggest is to upgrade your graphics card, and some extra RAM would help with performance :)

There is something to bear in mind here though, you only supplied basic system specs, so I have no idea what other hardware you're using, you may want to check the rest of your hardware before investing in just a graphics card :)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People. (http://www.rnib.org.uk)

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Ibomol

• Forum member

i belive from what i have just looked up a 9500 sapphire is around the same spec as a geo force 9500... i could always try my other computer that i believe has a geo force.. but i will not be able to get a new graphics card .. also ship sim 2006 has the same minimums and it works fine for me on maximum graphics

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member

The minimum specs for Ship Sim 2006 are lower than those of 2008, not the same ;)

Trying your other computer may help if the spec is higher :)

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Ibomol

• Forum member

The spec of my other computer is way way lower.. 240mb ram and a awful graphics card yet ship sim 2008 demo works, i go on this one, quadrouple + a bit the ram and a graphics card far better and still the grid.. so i seem to of elimiaten needing more ram or a graphics card? thanks for you help but is there any other way?

Alex201

• Forum member

I have 1GB ram and 256 Geforce 7600GS (win xp, P4 2.53Ghz). Works fine with the highest graphics  ;D

Ibomol

• Forum member

it isnt that mine dosent work.. its that the sea appears as a grid. the boat, land features, jettys, piers, tow ropes, other ships all appear fine and it runs fine, further eliminating the ram - graphics possibility

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member

The only explanation I can offer is taken from the FAQ's:

Why do I see a gridmodel instead of a sea?

Your graphics card is lower then the minimum system requirements. You need at least a nVidia 5900 or ATI 9600 Pro / X600 (128MB)

Other than this, I can't really suggest anything else, as all the problems are pointing at your graphics card :)

Regards.

DJM.

Ibomol

• Forum member

I know. Thanks for you help but.. My other computer has a Nvidia 5500 - FX, alot lower than my saphire radeon 9250 ( ATI 9250 ) and on that, i see the sea fine, however i cannot play it on that computer as the ram is too low. I know the only seeming possible explination is my graphics card is too low. but along with the fact it works on a much lower graphics card on my other computer, Microsoft flight simulator X also asks for a ATI 9600 and i can run that on high - ultra high graphics with no problem.
i really want to make the waves appear, i have seen even the low graphic waves on my poor spec comp and liked them. but im a loathe to buy this game, or purchase another graphics card, until i can indeed prove it is a problem with my graphics card, and have the proper demo experiance.

Again, i must thank you for your help. if you find anything that may make it work (any of you) or find out why it is not working, please post. This seems to be a problem which has us all stumped

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member

The fact that the demo runs on your lower spec computer could be down to settings, or something to do with the hardware on the GeForce card that differs from the ATI one :)

I wouldn't like to say exactly what the difference is, because I only use nVidia cards anyway ;)

I'm not stumped about this problem, it's your graphics card, believe me ;)

Regards.

DJM.

Ibomol

• Forum member

I shall check my settings, again and i will put the Nvidia Geforce into this computer and post if it works. I am also updating all my drivers as posting this message. Still.. I still dont want to change my graphics card.. could stop my other games such as fsx from working.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 15:33:00 by Ibomol »

Shipaddict

• Forum member

If DJM doesn't know then you've got a big problem! :D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member

If DJM doesn't know then you've got a big problem! :D

LOL, I'm no expert ;)

SSNick

• Forum member

I've seen this on my PC as well. After turning of transparent Waves, the water looks "normal" I've thje german version installed so I'm not sure what's it named in the english version. But set the graphics section to costum and turn this transparent waves off.

Yea mines to,Every time I turn on transparent waves,It will show a grid,So I just keep that off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines