Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 13:41:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Solent - request  (Read 7929 times)

Online1972

• Forum member
The Solent - request
« on: July 04, 2013, 15:49:00 »

Hi! This is my first post in here and I´m new to both the Shipsim extreme product and the community! First I must say I had a lot of fun with the missions and I think the price tag for the entire sim and all included extra boats with missions etc. is on the lower scale (Same price as ONE add-on airport for FSX/P3D cost).

Now to my question  :) is there a chance for any of you developers to make docking areas for Portsmouth and Fishbourne like the ones for the car ferry between Southampton and Cowes? As I understand there is no SDK or object placement tool except for the mission creation tool? All changes must be made from VSTEP developer’s right?!

The best
Patrik from Gothenburg

Jake_Savage

• Forum member
Re: The Solent - request
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 15:54:24 »

Hi

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a mod but I'm willing to help ;)

It does take quite a while to develop anything new especially a whole map. Many people will design them but VSTEP would have to put in maybe a year to develop it. In that year they could develop 3 boats. Making them more money. But mostly its the complexity and time it takes to develop a new map so I doubt that a new map will be released any time soon.

Regards
J

Online1972

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 16:12:57 »

Hi J!

Thank you for the reply! What I´m requesting is not a new map, just adding some improvments on the existing one  ;) Both Portsmouth and Fishbourne are already existing areas in the Solent map!

Jake_Savage

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 17:32:17 »

Many improvements are coming in a new patch soon. We don't know what these are yet but if may contain some inprovemt s to the map. If it does not dont be upset as it is hard work and VSTEP do t to a consistently high standard.

It is hard work designing and developing but it is a great hobby.

Please be patient and we will wait and see what exciting new content VSTEP come up with next :)

Kind Regards
Jake

Online1972

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:57:19 »

Nice to hear about improvments to the sim Jake 8) I have played around with the mission editor a bit and some texture elements you are able to add in a couple of seconds, reffering to big ramps and mooring points. Why can´t you developers at VSTEP add some already made textuers to the static library in the editor so the user can place, say a docking area texture whatever they see fit?

Regards
Patrik

Jake_Savage

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 15:05:53 »

As I said before I am not a worker for VSTEP the forum or Paradox. I am just a member trying to help. So I can't answer that. You need to contact Mr Robville or Mad_Fred.

kathy4691

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:47:08 »

Hi Patrik,
If by “docking areas” you mean large ferry docking facilities, it is unlikely that the developers can find time to add them.
However, you can place mooring bollards anywhere you would like. Also, I believe that there are some floating ferry docks available, along with ramps to connect them to shore.
I suggest that you send a PM to Sadsid and ask him. He can help you in learning to use the mission editor to add objects to environments.

Online1972

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 10:22:31 »

Hi Kathy!

By docking area I mean the type used in Cowes area. I have attached a picture of Cowes and a piture of fishbourne with a tweak solution made in the mission editor to avoid contact with the shoreline (ferry risking to deploy rocket engines and catapult the vessel 20 kn plus backwards and sink!).

I have a god idea on how to use the editor and it works similar to FS Addons editor for flightsim that I own a copy of. Unfortunately the docking textures are missing in the editors library. Any developers from VSTEP in this forum that can give some feedback?

kathy4691

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 14:43:54 »

Hi Patrik,
As I said: It is unlikely that the developers would add the large ferry facilities to the Solent environment in the near future, given the amount of higher-priority issues on their plate.
The mission editor provides you with the capability to add docking facilities to the environment, including the “ferry pontoon” that you can find in the static ships list.
These are “objects” or “entities”, not “textures”.
Developers, being rather busy folk, seldom respond directly to user’s questions. Your fellow users are your best source of information, at least those that are knowledgeable on the subject, as Sadsid is concerning the mission editor.

Online1972

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 15:30:43 »

Thank´s for the heads up Kathy! I have looked at the pontoon "object" you mentioned but that´s not what I´m after. I think I´m to used to the "flightsim" way of alter the enviroment in any way with provided paintkits for every model e.t.c.

Anyway great sim with lot of potencial and very funny and well done missions.

Chears
Patrik  :thumbs:

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 23:38:25 »

I did suggest this a few months back - have even made some of the structures

unfortunately never got any official repsonse... :/

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,24284.0.html

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,26968.0.html

Online1972

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 09:23:04 »

Wow ferry man!

After reading your posts in the linked treads I feel that I have been more than naive to think I could come in here and have some changes made to the Solent area  :)

Fact is you have made a huge effort and spending expensive time to make a fantastic development work. On the other hand VSTEP has chosen a policy of release a product that is price tagged and finished and any improvement will be made by VSTEP if they have the time and choose so!

I have respect for VSTEPs business model and I feel sorry for all the effort you have put in to make improvements.

In a perfect simulator world VSTEP should have one license for developers containing SDK and compilers so that the shipsim world expands even when they are asleep in Holland. In 6 month we could drive through the Suez and Panama canal and the Greek people would drive out from Piraeus to all the 700+ islands? Maybe a little bit exaggerated but a more interesting idea for me as a costumer! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines