Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 07:35:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you think there should be a live chat part on this forum

Yes
- 2 (50%)
No
- 2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum suddgestions  (Read 1263 times)

STORMM_29

• Forum member
Forum suddgestions
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:09:13 »

i think it would be cool
Stormm_29 :)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
Re: Forum suddgestions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:44:01 »

To my knowledge, such forum plugins do unfortunately not exist for SMF.
But I would doubt the use of it. Yes instant messaging is quicker, but who is going to use it often?
Most people I desire to directly chat with are either on my FB, Steam or on Skype.
With an instant messenger the issue can arise when somebody simply wants to browse the forum, suddenly gets contacted by someone who wants to speak to him/her while they are not in the mood for a chat or don't have the time to get involved into a conversation. If they simply ignore the message, it can lead to a fight of blaming one from ignoring another. With PM you don't have this pressure.

Hotmail/Outlook did this not very long ago. They hooked MSN to your email inbox.
When I just wanted to check my email before going to bed, 3 people started talking to me out of nowhere!
It's now disabled though.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:13:59 »

Use Pm tomessage pople because thats realy a IM just with another name and out of the way  ;)
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

larsdehaan

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:52:48 »

To my knowledge, such forum plugins do unfortunately not exist for SMF.
But I would doubt the use of it. Yes instant messaging is quicker, but who is going to use it often?
Most people I desire to directly chat with are either on my FB, Steam or on Skype.
With an instant messenger the issue can arise when somebody simply wants to browse the forum, suddenly gets contacted by someone who wants to speak to him/her while they are not in the mood for a chat or don't have the time to get involved into a conversation. If they simply ignore the message, it can lead to a fight of blaming one from ignoring another. With PM you don't have this pressure.

Hotmail/Outlook did this not very long ago. They hooked MSN to your email inbox.
When I just wanted to check my email before going to bed, 3 people started talking to me out of nowhere!
It's now disabled though.
Maybe use a Shoutbox? I think SMF has it.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 18:37:40 »

We had contemplated such things in the past, as it's come up a number of times before, but the need for constant moderation of such a feature made us decide against it,  as there's already enough easy means available to get in touch with each other here, and there's the small talk area where you can pretty much talk about whatever you like.

Regards,
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines